Autopsy 2024 Second elimination final : Hawks roll the dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Simply Amazing. Gutted to be in the UK so jealous of those of you who were there but thrilled for you at the same time. I got to watch the last quarter with my 6 year old daughter her first live game as I just show her highlights otherwise. Teared up. My 2 great loves colliding. The pride and understanding that the best contribution I can make is now complete. My daughter is a brown and gold wizard!

Simply Amazing. Gutted to be in the UK so jealous of those of you who were there but thrilled for you at the same time. I got to watch the last quarter with my 6 year old daughter her first live game as I just show her highlights otherwise. Teared up. My 2 great loves colliding. The pride and understanding that the best contribution I can make is now complete. My daughter is a brown and gold wizard!
Am watching the replay over here as well - thoroughly enjoying the game so far. Nash, CMac, Dear are all stars in my ears. This season has been such an enjoyable one to support the Mighty Hawks.

Can't wait till next week - redemption time against Port!

We didn't let them get going off half back, Finn was great, as was our pressure across the board.

Our team never let them play the way they wanted to, and the result was predictable.

Newcombe, Dear, Wiz, Scrimshaw, Sic and pretty much everyone was great!

Ward tearing out of the middle was unreal to see, as was Calsher and Wiz's dominance up forward!

Shades of the 2001 mail plane win in Adelaide in this buildup now... we did it then, we can do it with what is a much better side than that one!

We seem to really match up on the dogs, not sure why, but it was my main source of confidence

Really thrilled for Josh Ward, the best game I've seen him play and I hope he can run with it.

Josh is a great player who I have a lot of belief in, but he did need to improve his contest work early this year. Not that he needs to be a pure inside mid, he is naturally a runner/ball user. But he needed to be able to approach contest work less like an outside player and attack the footy/defend better. So that when he does end up around the bounces he doesn't give up damaging clearances the other way.

Cut to last night and he's out there laying the most tackles on the ground and getting knee deep into every contest, providing a presence and breaking away on occasion. Overall we lost clearances but they had no damage or penetration from their centre breaks, I think in large part because Ward stepped up.
I had been worried about the mids not just because of Day, but also Mckenzie who had been filling in for a few centre bounces. In the end while our midfield probably wasn't at full strength it didn't matter, and we were very defensively accountable. Jai even played up forward on plenty of occasions and was allowed to roam around and have an impact everywhere. He didn't have to play purely at the coalface, which is not possible if Ward didn't play the way he played.

In the long run I do see Wardy as more of an outside player with his running capacity and skills, with Mckenzie more likely to be in the guts. That being said, the contested mindset/ability is essential to rounding out Ward as a player and taking him to the next level. Was super impressed and felt like last night was a step forward.

Hardwick tonight solidified why he’s still my absolute favourite current Hawk. He had such a bloody good game - and he’ll rightly get overlooked by some absolutely brilliant performances/moments - but when the game was in the balance he was just dominating down back and providing some insanely good rebounding. 95% DE in a final too - dead set gun.
You think he’s your top 10 certainty in the team build up.

Am watching the replay over here as well - thoroughly enjoying the game so far. Nash, CMac, Dear are all stars in my ears. This season has been such an enjoyable one to support the Mighty Hawks.

Can't wait till next week - redemption time against Port!
Just told the Mrs if we make the GF it’s a dash home keen to sit beside me for 24?

- Ginnivan played one of his best and most unselfish games. Was clean under pressure, made good decisions, and dished off multiple assists. Also kicked a great goal when Bulldogs were pressuring us late to put it out of doubt. Stepped up under pressure for the big occasion and provided leadership with his actions all night.

- Dear could have potentially been a liability in a final, but actually helped break the game open. Gunston like in his ability to make the most of nothing chances with that goal off the ground, and two great leads. His finishing slowly has gotten so much better as well. His mark and goal on the boundary the game highlight.

- Meek was brilliant and the type of ruck you want on your side in a game like that. Mark and goal early set the tone, and did a lot of hard stuff at the contest and smashed his opponent. Great, confident body language in the ruck, when marking or kicking for goal... looks like he really understands the influence he can have.

- Watson nailing shots while others were missing in his first final.. Chol and Moore missed sitters, so Watson and Dear nailing their shots was important or else Dogs could have been within striking distance in a nervous last quarter. The kind of game we'd hope he'd do after 3 or 4 seasons he produced first up in a final. Great pressure, crumbing, assists and goal. Gun and the most impactful first year player week in week out and has been for a while.

- Ward was brilliant to come in with limited footy in a final and a quality midfield and produce that effort. Play smart, hard football, was decisive with the ball, and was cool under pressure. With Day and MacKenzie out we needed him and he took his opportunity with both hands.

- Newcombe is a star. They couldn't stop him despite it being a focus for them, and without Day he played out of his skin. How many times have we seen that Meek to Newk crumbing goal this year? Quality, raw, emotion in the celebration as well, which got the team up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got home at midnight from the MCG and couldn’t sleep until 2, was absolutely buzzing.
I sat down with the cheer squad as my media accreditation doesn’t carry over into finals and to be part of that crowd was bloody electric.
At least 60k Hawthorn supporters there which was tremendous.
I loved the way we outhunted and outworked the Dogs all night.
Meek was superb against English and just battered him.
Scrimma with his intercepting marks was epic.
Sicily refused to wilt in any contest, loved his tackle on JUH in the first.
Sam Frost made sure to body Darcy every opportunity he got.
Dimma owned Weightman again.
Mass, Karl and Jars just gave us so much run from the back as well as great ball use.
Josh Ward wasn’t overawed on the big stage.
Croc was prolific with his running, as was Weddle.
Finn had a great game - last quarter spoil running back with the ball was awesome.
HMo just so consistent in everything he does.
Ginnivan is a winner and you can see why Sam wanted him - knows what to do and brings others in.
Chol had an almost night but still was influential.
Sear and the Wiz announced themselves on the big stage! Both were huge!
Gunners absolutely selfless in his role but did it to the exact instruction from the coaches.
Worpel and Duke were just superb - crashed in and did everything needed. - both just continue to grow.
Nash did his job incredibly well - Bont not an influence on the game and as a second ruck Nash halved everything!!

I bloody love this club 🤎💛

Our two 19 year old forwards (Wiz and Cal) kicked seven goals between them. Looking forward to the next 15 years of the same.
On Calsher Dear - key forwards do not do what he is doing. Even prodigy’s like Tom Hawkins took 3-4 years.

What Dear has done in his first 15 games is phenomenal. He has come into a young side and made himself indispensable in his first season. His ceiling is sky high

Was exactly a rev up... Hawks fans were trying their best to tell Chol is well supported and to keep trying. His pressure and work rate was excellent throughout

Few fans may have been frustrated at the marks not sticking but even they joined in with the cheers by rest to rev him and team up.
You could sense Chols frustrations when he missed that sitter and vented with a big shout to himself. But never went into his shell and just kept presenting and doing the team thing. He’s been great all year. This just wasn’t his night.

You could sense Chols frustrations when he missed that sitter and vented with a big shout to himself. But never went into his shell and just kept presenting and doing the team thing. He’s been great all year. This just wasn’t his night.

He had a bit of a limp after he came down from the huge leap he took. Maybe that affected his kicking.

On Calsher Dear - key forwards do not do what he is doing. Even prodigy’s like Tom Hawkins took 3-4 years.

What Dear has done in his first 15 games is phenomenal. He has come into a young side and made himself indispensable in his first season. His ceiling is sky high

One of the most enjoyable games I’ve had watching this team over 40 odd years.. just the style and buzz they play with is captivating.. Many supporters say they miss aspects of football of years gone by but this team plays modern Football the way it’s meant to be played.. The idea of knocking over Port, Sydney then crashing Cats dreams on the biggest stage would be football folklore !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Second elimination final : Hawks roll the dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back