Autopsy 2024 Second elimination final : Hawks roll the dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Amon, Impey, Scrimshaw and Weddle off half back this year has set us up countless times. Not enough kudos given to Jars and Karl imo. Near flawless.

Love celebrating big wins just not the way Ginnivan did pretending to chug a drink. A slight criticism. Boy oh boy though what a win.
Was more an ironic celebration given the socials were getting stuck in to him for being at a pub the night before.

He backed it up by having an amazing game.

To beat the Dogs, you must minimise the influence of Bontempelli - particularly his clearance impact.

Very few AFL mids would be ready willing and able to do that.

That’s why I reckon Nash was in our best handful.

He was the main reason the opposition tried to change their use of their captain and clearly best player by sending him forward for most of that term.

Bevo blinked and we pulled away in the third term.

Well spotted. This is a good point - they had a choice to send him to the ball but deal with Nash, or play elsewhere.

Last edited:

3 keys:
Curb Bont
Dominate the ruck to stop the clean use out the front of the corridor (Thier talls eat the quick ball)
Make them chase

Mitchell dominated the tactics and Meek, Nash and Newk took care of the contest and gave the whole team a chance to work them over. Masterclass.

Screenshot_20240907-083007.png
Img: A marshmallow attempts to move a mountain

I had a dickhead Hawk behind me and my mates and our kids bellowing out hate for Chol and Finn.

Then he stood and screamed obscenities at Dogs fans when they left in the last. He was just a classless piece of shit who thought everyone was enjoying his show.
I’ve never wanted to grab a hawk fan by the jumper and hurl them from level 4 before.

Most of the losing coaches of late have lamented their sides moving away from their game plans and not played like themselves etc etc. They're missing the point - well, they know the point, they just can't say it. No matter how well they played, the Hawks had them covered.

The Bulldogs had success in Q1 and anticipated the Hawks play and managed to intercept the release or ruck tap. Sam waves his magic wand and Hawthorn adjusted and the Dogs had no answer.

Last night convinced me that the Hawks can go all the way this year. Lose any games and it'll be Sam at the PC saying they lost their way and didn't play to their potential etc etc

The morning dump feels a lot better after a finals win.

How I missed it.
Spock Encerio GIF

I had a dickhead Hawk behind me and my mates and our kids bellowing out hate for Chol and Finn.

Then he stood and screamed obscenities at Dogs fans when they left in the last. He was just a classless piece of shit who thought everyone was enjoying his show.
I’ve never wanted to grab a hawk fan by the jumper and hurl them from level 4 before.
Things weren't happening for Chol but you can't say he lacked for effort, he had a game where he was beaten but was also a few cm away from breaking even, taking multiple speccies. Lobb is just a very bad match up for him.

After almost a decade of watching Rough dominate teams but struggle to climb out of Taylor's pocket every Geelong game, I'm happy giving Chol a pass for this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been posted. Was in hysterics at this
View attachment 2103536

That's as good as any fitness test after that heavy landing for Chol.

Will be good for next week. Such a shame it was an almost night for him. Lands on his arse and gets cut on his head.

Just a mare of a night poor bloke. Good to see Sam put an arm around him. Sometimes it's just not your night.

I ****ing love this club like this is the reason you hold on during the bad times as a fan.

Unbelievable game, the atmosphere and the biggest crowd ever in an elimination game.

40 points over a flag favourite in a big final.

Newcombe showing why he’s going to be one of the games best, and Sicily showing why he’s one of the games best defenders.

Everyone played well but even with Dear and Watson, ****ing woweee, these are blokes in their FIRST SEASON it’s unreal.

Meek giving English a bath too, 20+ touches 40+ hitouts is insane.

Key defenders killing the Dogs trio of talls, whilst also providing elite ball use and run, Scrim and Weddle in particular.

A great time to be a Hawks fan but even more so as a fan of footy, this is good for footy.

Hey guys,

Sorry if already mentioned, but would did people think of Harry Morrison's first quarter?

Might not have noticed him heaps for the rest of the game (which isn't a bad thing), but I thought he had a pretty cool head in the first when the pressure was on and some of the other boy's were making rushed decision. Just seemed to take an extra moment to hit someone up that was free.

Glad we still have him on the list. Good honest footballer. Cheers.

Such an even team performance again which compared with the Dogs rely on their top end of talent. Being at the game the strength of Worps and Newc at centre clearances is amazing. Morrison really good early and Calsh and the Wiz so exciting. Ginni such a smart footballer. Meek absolutely massive and Scrim and Frost sensational down back. Sic captain courageous. To think Day might be back for prelim

Something being glossed over a bit, Sam Frost bullied every key forward that dared go near him. It’s been touched on but he deserves more.

He looked genuinely psychotic at times with his intensity in defending, and his shit talk to the dogs players/bench was brilliantly backed up.

He looked like he was having the time of his life.

To beat the Dogs, you must minimise the influence of Bontempelli - particularly his clearance impact.

Very few AFL mids would be ready willing and able to do that.

That’s why I reckon Nash was in our best handful.

He was the main reason the opposition tried to change their use of their captain and clearly best player by sending him forward for most of that term.

Bevo blinked and we pulled away in the third term.
Nash didnt match up on bont that much. Ward was probably just as often on him. The player that really dis the job on the bont at stoppages was Meek. Just controlled the ball away from bont to our advantage. Mass had 5 clearances because we pinned bont and their other inside mids in the contest and meek tapped it outside.

Edit: nash was still very good though! His ruckwork was fantastic after weddle had struggle to contain darcy at the stoppages.

Thought Weddle and Chol didn’t handle the occasion and Moore struggled to get involved but they’ll all be better for this first final.
This sentence highlights probably the most exciting thing about these Hawks.

If the opposition shut down Weddle - Scrim and Sic and Amon will cut them up instead. If they shut down Moore - Ginni and Wiz and CMac will cut them up instead, If Day can't play - Ward and McGuness will come in and step up. If Chol has a rough night - a rookie will cover for him.

Watching a young team rise like this is the best thing about following footy.

Nash didnt match up on bont that much. Ward was probably just as often on him. The player that really dis the job on the bont at stoppages was Meek. Just controlled the ball away from bont to our advantage. Mass had 5 clearances because we pinned bont and their other inside mids in the contest and meek tapped it outside.
I think I saw Bont get a clear run at the ball twice over the course of the game, one he almost kicked that goal that Naughton touched and the second Meek saw and tapped a mile away from where he was heading. Otherwise he was bodied by whoever was there, or we just put it away from him.

Dogs won the game before it started. Got into their heads with all the tipsters saying they’ll just roll the Hawks and end the HOKBALL shenanigans. Well didn’t the young guns give them a lesson. AA Captain didn’t fire a shot..who was that again…give me a spell. Was payback for 2016.
BIG shout out to Josh Ward so happy for the young fella.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Second elimination final : Hawks roll the dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back