Autopsy 2024 Second elimination final : Hawks roll the dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,

Sorry if already mentioned, but would did people think of Harry Morrison's first quarter?

Might not have noticed him heaps for the rest of the game (which isn't a bad thing), but I thought he had a pretty cool head in the first when the pressure was on and some of the other boy's were making rushed decision. Just seemed to take an extra moment to hit someone up that was free.

Glad we still have him on the list. Good honest footballer. Cheers.
In a lot of ways Harry is made for finals footy.

He is cool and calculated with his disposal (which is vital when things are hot) and when it's his turn to go hard he goes hard.

Listening to Derm this morning on crunch time, he thinks we are system based not talent base compared to other teams, which could be worked out over summer by other teams.

Our backline is borderline impossible to pressure when the ball goes to ground. Hardwick, Scrim, Sic, Impey, even Frost, just work it out. Clean pickups, clean handballs, you think they might be caught but they find a way out. And then Amon and Mass are at the end of the chain, it's fantastic to watch.

Scrim in particular has become a machine in general play. Lures players in and takes contact to get others free. Hard to believe he's the same player as previous years.

Listening to Derm this morning on crunch time, he thinks we are system based not talent base compared to other teams, which could be worked out over summer by other teams.

I agree with this to some extent but he discounts the fact that we have a huge young core who will only get better.

Teams might work out our current system a bit better but collectively our side should improve with another season in the gym and experience.

Last edited:
I've noticed a pattern that every player / pundit that has been out of the game for ages talks about us being a system, coaching, well drilled team, and all the more recent retirees or recently finished coaches talk about the exciting and more importantly hard working young talent.

I can respect Derm as a Hawthorn legend, but his perspective on footy in 2024 isn't materially better than Jono Brown's unfortunately.

Things weren't happening for Chol but you can't say he lacked for effort, he had a game where he was beaten but was also a few cm away from breaking even, taking multiple speccies. Lobb is just a very bad match up for him.

After almost a decade of watching Rough dominate teams but struggle to climb out of Taylor's pocket every Geelong game, I'm happy giving Chol a pass for this one.
Cholly was the one low-light last night, unfortunately.

I think you can accept a game when a player isn't sticking his marks, but to consistently lack the endeavor to affect a contest, is really disappointing.

People said the same thing bout our 3 peat team.

I think it's selling our players massively short and laying the success solely at the feet of Mitchell

He’s not completely wrong, there’s at least 8 teams with more pure talent on their list than us.

It’s a very simplistic thought though, as we have a much more even spread of talent than any team and at the moment a better system too.

Like the dogs undoubtedly have more talent, but what’s the point of having all that talent if it’s stacked in specific areas and unable to spread the workload?

Last night was the real life adaptation of ‘a champion team is better than a team of champions’.

On the system, it’s a work in progress and we’ll play a bit differently next year. Barrass, Battle, and hopefully Lewis completely change our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you can accept a game when a player isn't sticking his marks, but to consistently lack the endeavor to affect a contest, is really disappointing.
He got beaten by a defender who has been in very good form, and who is also a horrendous match up for him. Despite his individual fumbliness I thought he was still present in enough contests to have a positive impact.

Dogs won the game before it started. Got into their heads with all the tipsters saying they’ll just roll the Hawks and end the HOKBALL shenanigans. Well didn’t the young guns give them a lesson. AA Captain didn’t fire a shot..who was that again…give me a spell. Was payback for 2016.
BIG shout out to Josh Ward so happy for the young fella.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Game was carbon copy of 2016 final reversed

I agree with this to some extent but he discounts the fact that we have a huge young core who will only get better.

Teams might work out our current system a bit better but collectively our side should improve with another season in the gym and experience.
Even Sam mentioned this but added when the other teams chase them they would have already been doing it for a while so would have evolved further along. The rest playing catch up was what he was referring to. Another preseason into Dear, Watson, Ward, Mackenzie and Massimo with the confidence that they belong at this level will be another surge in development. That's the scary thought for the other teams watching us today.

Just a mare of a night poor bloke. Good to see Sam put an arm around him. Sometimes it's just not your night.
I was really pleased that after he got up badly hobbling he managed to push through / recover and still contribute - despite being well below his best.

He is so important to the structure of our front half and for him to remain in the game, and work as hard as he did until the game was in our keeping was a real credit.

You could sense Chols frustrations when he missed that sitter and vented with a big shout to himself. But never went into his shell and just kept presenting and doing the team thing. He’s been great all year. This just wasn’t his night.
I always worry with Chol with how hard he is on himself. You can see his emotions come out, bless him.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

When Ginnivan celebrated that kick he put right on Watson's chest I50 I thought my Kayo feed had gone haywire and skipped past the goal. Was pumped up like he'd put it through the sticks!
Loved seeing this, it's clearly something he's focussed on improving. If he celebrates a perfect pass imside F50 as much as he would a goal, he's in a good place

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Poor call IMHO.

We must have been watching a different game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Second elimination final : Hawks roll the dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back