Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Almost 50 free kicks in a finals game and the manner in which they influenced the outcome is the thing the AFL needs to focus on. NOT a coach throwing a couple of harmless barbs on the field after the game FFS.

Former Hawk premiership player Campbell Brown...

This from the 7AFL's own social media feed a few days ago - perhaps Ken was watching. If only he'd done a Mal Brown response to BT Bargearse's post match questions

Last edited:

Should Ken have done that? Probably not

But seeing the absolute meltdowns I'm glad he did lol
Posters complain (rightly) Ken’s piss weak and is too nice to the opposition but when he shows some fight he should shut up.
Anyway I strongly believe last night was the best thing Ken has done in his time at the club.
All the hate we are getting is fantastic, takes me back to the good old days🤪

homer simpson GIF

If ken wasn't the coach and it was Carr I would be hell bent on defending him.

That's the problem today though, no body is allowed to say anything, it's a mountain out of a mole hill situation, we just have a stupid coach.
Josh would have walked over to him, shook his hand, pulled him in close and whispered, “enjoy next week” or something to that extent. Ginnivan would have shoved him in the chest and Arnie would have stood over Josh double fist pumping in celebration…

Ken did it in front of every camera and made it about himself…

Mitchell sooked hard. Said "one of our very young players had some very agressive words said to him after the game by a much older man who has been in the game a long time and our captain took offence to that and went to his defence."

Said he hadnt spoken to Hinkley and wont. Was very pissed.

Screams we can dish it but cant take it, to me.
I think another poster might have said this already.
Welcome to Gen Z, and this nauseating, Orwellian soft**** world we live in that is 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will go alright on a small scg, playing a tight tough contested game. Also swans have been our bunnies for a few years now - might be in the Swans head this one
Just wonder if the players can bring that level of instensity for 4 qtrs next week coz that's what will be needed to beat the Swans. Don't doubt our talent though, never have. For me it's more about every player playing their role to the best of their ability. If our less talented players do that it allows our more talented players to shine & I rate both efforts equally. That's how a team wins tough finals & Richmond did this beautifully.

I’ve been reading a news.com report on “AFL world reacts to coach’s ugly act” - that’s the headline. The story is pure hatred towards our coach Ken Hinkley. The underlying theme coming from the article is that he has spoilt our great win by picking on a younger bloke. You could even say that the media will now be calling for the sacking of Kenny. Very strange?
Edit. It will be very interesting to see what Kochie does?
Well I'm 100% sticking up for Ken. Who would have thought. The media are just turds, always with an agenda trying to influence the result they want. F*ck them over Ken, they've earnt it in spades.

That was a great response after last week. I was particularly impressed with our young defenders who as a group played with composure for the vast majority of the game.

Burgoyne was just a star at half back. Fantastic response after last week. Probably our best and hopefully a career defining game.

Lachie Jones was great. Won a lot of important contests and managed to nullify multiple contests when he was outnumbered. Should’ve had a goal saving tackle as well if not for a bullshit umpiring decision.

Sinn held up well, particularly coming off limited preparation and being inexperienced I thought he stood up well.

Logan Evans was fantastic again. i love his confidence and already has the composure of a much more experienced player. 22 touches with 570 metres gained (number 1 for the game) was excellent especially considering the absence of Houston/Farrell/Burton.

Bergman again competed well and always competes well.

A group of players all relatively inexperienced, including two who have played less than 15 games, just nullified a very dangerous forward line in a sudden death final. If nothing else that will help with their confidence and development immensely moving forward.

Yes, absolutely. I was going to post something like this but you've captured it all so well.

No Farrell, no Houston, no worries. Logan Evans and the much maligned Lachie Jones gave so much run and dare I say power off half back.

The Jones run and carry and long perfectly weighted kick that resulted in a Rioli goal, if Houston had done that we would be adding another first round pick to his asking price.

Evans among his highlights, that blind turn out and kick out of the Hawks forward line surrounded by players, exquisite.

Bergman, I love the way as soon as he clunks the mark he pulls the ball down to his body to stop a late spoil. A real basketball move.

BZT too, what a atrong game. SOme big grabs, stopped them taking marks, constantly ran to provide an option and disposed of the ball with aplomb.

Jase Burgoyne, an amazing turnaround from last week. Every time he had a touch in the second half the bloke sitting next to me said, Your man Burgoyne again, I was cheering him on so hard. His tackling was ferocious and his ability to mark the ball on his chest from bizarre positions, like Bergman all the time protecting the spoil was jaw -dropping.

Sinn didn't get a lot of it, but he doesn't look out of place at this level any more. He really could take the next step in 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back