Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I agree coming out of trade with 18,24,25 is palatable. We can make further trades to move up.

Also sending 30 to Richmond enables them to use in a trade with WC for 14.

They end up with:

We might be able to grab a pick in the 40’s for s*#ts and giggles.
How are we getting 24 and 25 in this scenario?

If we end up holding the first pick of round two I expect to auction it off for a future first anyway.

Me too, and for that auction to occur overnight between draft days. If all reports are correct about the depth of talent in this draft, there will be someone left on the board after the first day that a team will be desperate to grab.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we are genuinely prepared to leave Bolton at Richmond we can do that, otherwise it will be difficult.

I want Bolton way more than I want us to make a stand. If we can get a pick in the low to mid 20s back I fail to see how this isn't a deal worth doing. If it's picks 10+11 for Bolton and nothing else then yeah, that's just poor negotiating.

Instead of compo picks being additional picks that move everyone back, they should explore some system where they simply improve that club’s pick/s.

What’s the latest today? Been offline all morning.
Trade radio on Twitter seems to think Bolton will be going for 10 and 11 as the main portion of the deal. Ugh
No update and no one really had a clue, despite whatever posturing you hear.

Going off that interview jack darling actually thinks he’s him 😂

There has been 0 noise in the media about Richmond paying Bolton's contract right?

Is their cap that bad that they are still paying off players?

Surely we are getting some $$ in this deal

I think we have to get something paid. Clubs must play 95% of their cap and with Rioli, Martin, Reiwold, Cotchin, Baker, Bolton, Grimes and Graham all leaving in the last 2 years, who else other than Hopper and Taranto do they have to pay

Instead of compo picks being additional picks that move everyone back, they should explore some system where they simply improve that club’s pick/s.
Whatever system doesn't add picks i reckon. Not sure if someone who has pick 5 would be happy if St Kilda 's pick 8 gets upgraded to pick 4 though.

Whatever system doesn't add picks i reckon. Not sure if someone who has pick 5 would be happy if St Kilda 's pick 8 gets upgraded to pick 4 though.

I can get my head around FA compo given clubs can't trade players without their consent BUT it has to start at pick 19. The first round should be 100% off limits to any compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest problem with free agency is that the compensation system is broken. A lot of the really outrageous pick shuffling that has happened has been due to these obscene pay outs for middling players—players being valued at point values they would simply never fetch at the trade table.

I am generally in favour of equalisation measures, but they really miss the mark on free agency compo picks. (Case in point: Battle for pick 8; McKay for pick 2.) The point difference between a first band compensation pick of 2 vs pick 19 is inequitable (the difference in point value is equivalent to pick 8) and destabilising (destabilising because clubs doing badly are incentivised to get rid of their experienced players because they're getting such a disproportionately generous pay out for them). Compo picks should not be tethered to draft order—every single one should be calculated by a publicly available metric that spits out an equivalent point value.

There's also the glaring issue that uncontracted players are often worth less at the trade table than free agents, despite the premise of free agency being that the free agents have contributed to a club for years, and that the club has been adequately rewarded for drafting/trading them in. Basically: you've had 8 years of service, you can't keep benefiting from this player forever. But in reality, the pay off of a FA leaving is often far greater than a player who did 3 years after being drafted and is out of contract. An uncontracted player has the weird "walk to the PSD" loophole, or other similar loopholes. Look at how Sharp ended up at Freo, with Gold Coast getting absolutely nothing in return. That's a broken system. I'm using that example specifically because Freo benefited from it, so you know I'm being objective when I say the system is broken for uncontracted players.

If St Kilda got what seems reasonable for a player like Battle—something roughly equivalent to an end of first round compo pick—and it didn't mess with the top end of the draft, you could get a little salty but it wouldn't feel like an outrageous symptom of a broken system. As it is, middling players totally rearrange the top 10 of the draft, and it ****ing sucks.

The biggest problem with free agency is that the compensation system is broken. A lot of the really outrageous pick shuffling that has happened has been due to these obscene pay outs for middling players—players being valued at point values they would simply never fetch at the trade table.

I am generally in favour of equalisation measures, but they really miss the mark on free agency compo picks. (Case in point: Battle for pick 8; McKay for pick 2.) The point difference between a first band compensation pick of 2 vs pick 19 is inequitable (the difference in point value is equivalent to pick 8) and destabilising (destabilising because clubs doing badly are incentivised to get rid of their experienced players because they're getting such a disproportionately generous pay out for them). Compo picks should not be tethered to draft order—every single one should be calculated by a publicly available metric that spits out an equivalent point value.

There's also the glaring issue that uncontracted players are often worth less at the trade table than free agents, despite the premise of free agency being that the free agents have contributed to a club for years, and that the club has been adequately rewarded for drafting/trading them in. Basically: you've had 8 years of service, you can't keep benefiting from this player forever. But in reality, the pay off of a FA leaving is often far greater than a player who did 3 years after being drafted and is out of contract. An uncontracted player has the weird "walk to the PSD" loophole, or other similar loopholes. Look at how Sharp ended up at Freo, with Gold Coast getting absolutely nothing in return. That's a broken system. I'm using that example specifically because Freo benefited from it, so you know I'm being objective when I say the system is broken for uncontracted players.

If St Kilda got what seems reasonable for a player like Battle—something roughly equivalent to an end of first round compo pick—and it didn't mess with the top end of the draft, you could get a little salty but it wouldn't feel like an outrageous symptom of a broken system. As it is, middling players totally rearrange the top 10 of the draft, and it ****ing sucks.

Sharp was delisted

God I've decided to read along with the Richmond board during this process and it's hilarious:

"Fremantle are desperate for Bolton"

"Bolton makes Fremantle a premiership team"

"Fremantle are pretenders not willing to fork over the picks for a gamechanger"

"We should just deal with West Coast instead"

Brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back