Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we're not keeping 11 to trade it for an F1, we definitely want to pick in that range.

It's a different story if Bolton falls through, because I doubt we want to use all 3 when we could get such good value for them and don't really have opportunities for 3 top end talents.

And since I think Bolton is basically a 100% chance to happen, the only team that we might send 11 to is the Tigers.

Pretty much this. No matter what people say about the situation being a win/win, getting Bolton gives us the absolute best chance at winning the 2025 flag. Tigers now have pick 20, so 11+12 for Bolton and 20 with some pointless but list manager critical F4 pick swaps.
But why is this trade all about us, done correctly this sets two clubs up for premiership success in two different timelines.

This was the drafts that delivered the Geelong dynasty starting with the 2007 premiership.

1728692138521.png

I wouldn't think Bolton is there in 8 years time. Over that four year period Geelong traded away Mansfield, Colbert, Justin Murphy and Clint Bizzell.

If this truly is a 2001 type super draft or even close then Richmond also has a fair bit to lose on not getting deals done, especially considering they don't have four years of uncompromised drafts.

But why is this trade all about us, done correctly this sets two clubs up for premiership success in two different timelines.

This was the drafts that delivered the Geelong dynasty starting with the 2007 premiership.

View attachment 2138947

I wouldn't think Bolton is there in 8 years time. Over that four year period Geelong traded away Mansfield, Colbert, Justin Murphy and Clint Bizzell.

If this truly is a 2001 type super draft or even close then Richmond also has a fair bit to lose on not getting deals done, especially considering they don't have four years of uncompromised drafts.
They would be almost as keen for this trade to happen as we are. But like us, they still want to get the best deal possible.

Yup I’ve got my microwave ready to go in case they stay.

But the question really is how badly you guys want to have a crack at your maiden flag. Only Freo knows that, which will dictate the trade.

Your current group of players can’t seem to get it done imo. Bolton could be the difference maker like J Cameron for Geelong. I honestly don’t see how picks help you, by the time the draftees get into their prime Serong will be retiring. But that’s just my opinion.

There is a standing joke on here that all Richmond supporters sound like used car salesmen. You are keeping the joke alive.

Could this extreme scenario happen?
Shai wants to come home for serious family reasons and Freo/Richmond can't agree on a price.
So...
Shai returns to WA, doesn't play in 2025, is paid by Freo.
The Bolton trade is completed in 1 year with either Freo or WCE at a vastly reduced price. Maybe pick 12 equivalent and no more.

How about picks 10,11,27,67 for Bolton, 20,22

Go to the draft with 18,20,22 only which might count as 3 first round picks and we can then trade out of the next 2-3 drafts if we want to go for Chad.

Trading away 11 is dumb

We want to take that pick, thats why we are holding it

I understand your theory of getting rid of it so Richmond can't take it but the problem is we want to use that pick, we haven't drafted a first rounder in 2 years and the players available at 11 look bloody good

We could live trade back in.

I don’t think it’s dumb at all.

Say we have 3 draft targets around that pick 11. What if they all go before pick 11? Do we still use it? Trade it out?

What if it gets to pick 15 and they’re all still there? Then we can trade back in and pick up the person we want as opposed to ‘forced’ to use the pick.

Trading out 11 doesn’t necessarily mean skipping the first round.

They would be almost as keen for this trade to happen as we are. But like us, they still want to get the best deal possible.

I think Richmond want this deal waaaaay more than Fremantle because Bolton needs it more than either club.

I really do think that with his family in WA he will have one of the all time worst seasons at AFL, complete with leaving to come back to WA and Richmond saying they fully support him doing that after being hounded for a day in the media over not even knowing he left.

Then come the end of 2025 they have a fortune sitting on their salary cap not even in the state again requesting a trade home only this time they are even more desperate.

Richmond need to get him off their books while he is worth something.

Similar to Tom Barrass at the Eagles who I believe is a massive cohesion and culture issue right now, something in the force tells me he was involved in pushing out the previous coach and is roaming the halls there like a bad fart flipping tables.

They are 18. Plus 7 years is 25 which is just entering prime age.

Serong will be 30 at this time and will be close to finishing up never mind the other players who are older than him.

Going to the draft now is essentially starting again with a rebuild. Especially because it’ll be your maiden flag I’d go aggressive with trades. Players like Bolton aren’t available every year. Do you want to be wondering if he would’ve made a difference if you pass? That would play on my mind. Risk it for the biscuit imo.

Nank, Prestia and Caddy was the difference in a flag for us in 2017. Bolton is better than each of them.

And none of Nank Prestia or Caddy cost two first rounders as high as 10 and 11. It's way too much to ask.

Say we have 3 draft targets around that pick 11. What if they all go before pick 11? Do we still use it? Trade it out?

What if it gets to pick 15 and they’re all still there? Then we can trade back in and pick up the person we want as opposed to ‘forced’ to use the pick.

You've got peeps tripping over themselves to get into the first round, trading back in sounds like it would be impossible.

The solution is just to say no. You are allowed to do that. 10 and 18 is not unreasonable, even if some small kicker is needed. I like all the noise saying basically 11 is going nowhere in a Bolton trade

Kai lohmann will ashcroft Logan Morris Nick Watson kyasiah pickett in 2021 daicos ..the list goes on ... all say hi. Every premiership team also have 1 or 2 quality recent draftee. If they are quality that make up for experience. Small forwards make early impacts. But of course I would love to have Bolton in our side, but won't be that much upset if we lose him due to Richmond hold firm

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why is Nick Watson in this list? Are you Biff from Back to the Future?

Live trade back in with who exactly?

Every club in the land desperate to get in to the top 15 in this draft, passing significant over for even teens picks already, and we are just gonna trade back in there in a few weeks when it suits us, after all of the clubs with academy kids have long since traded out of 2024 first round for very generous offers??

Come on now, let’s be realistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could this extreme scenario happen?
Shai wants to come home for serious family reasons and Freo/Richmond can't agree on a price.
So...
Shai returns to WA, doesn't play in 2025, is paid by Freo.
The Bolton trade is completed in 1 year with either Freo or WCE at a vastly reduced price. Maybe pick 12 equivalent and no more.

He would be paid by Richmond, and thats exactly what I expect will happen.

You cannot expect a man to be watching his children grow up over video calls, sending them to bed with story time when it's three hours difference for you for months on end. He will grow very resentful and not of Freo.

The AFL treat mental health the same as an injury meaning it allows players to be excused from appearing and performance requirements. Dayne Beams wasn't able to be fired for this reason and for that same reason I'd expect Bolton to be living with his family in WA in 2025 regardless of who is paying him.

It just means the next time he is asking for a trade he isn't going to be worth much of anything.

You've got peeps tripping over themselves to get into the first round, trading back in sounds like it would be impossible.

The solution is just to say no. You are allowed to do that. 10 and 18 is not unreasonable, even if some small kicker is needed. I like all the noise saying basically 11 is going nowhere in a Bolton trade

That’s fair.

But even after the Bolton deal I’m taking offers on 11 and extracting maximum value. If it nets us 2 end of first rounders I 100% do that deal for a host of reasons. Whoever we pick at 11 is likely sitting at Peel.

Also what’s being forgotten here - if you want to live trade on draft night, when there’s a 5 min clock ticking, you can apply a roughly 40% extra tax on the price you pay, if you are the club instigating the pick swap.

We have found that out the hard way before on draft night in 2019. I’d like to think we leaned a hard lesson.

That trade of an F2 for picks 53 &55 with Port still haunts me in the moments following the Liam Henry bid 😫

That's my point everyone is talking like we are the only ones with something to lose so we need to be desperate.
Richmond absolutely have a lot to lose if the trade isn’t done. That’s why it will get done as it benefits both teams greatly.

I have an issue with some Fremantle fans saying it’s a win/win for us though IMO, if the trade doesn’t get done both teams lose.

Yup I’ve got my microwave ready to go in case they stay.

But the question really is how badly you guys want to have a crack at your maiden flag. Only Freo knows that, which will dictate the trade.

Your current group of players can’t seem to get it done imo. Bolton could be the difference maker like J Cameron for Geelong. I honestly don’t see how picks help you, by the time the draftees get into their prime Serong will be retiring. But that’s just my opinion.
Thanks for the Cameron comparison. Here are the trade details. Cameron turned 27 in 2020, Bolton turns 26 in 2024.
In points value Geelong paid a net 1777pts, this is equal to pick 10 and 43 (1395 + 378 = 1773).
Bolton is durable and the extra playing year Freo is getting should add 300pts to his value compared to Cameron. ie 2077pts or pick 10 and 28.
I'm not suggesting the trade is as simple as the above, just that it is a reasonable starting point.
You are right to say that Freo really want/need him. We are right to say everyone agrees that picks in teh 10-30 range are universally more highly rated this year than in other years.
What is clear from the above is that picks 10 and 18 as a starting point for negotiations is already way too much.

2020 Trade for Jeremy Cameron​

See Other Trades in 2020
Geelong
What Geelong GaveWhat Geelong Got
Jeremy Cameron83 games53 XG
Pick 13Pick not used1212 points79 XG
Pick 15Pick not used1112 points71 XG
Pick 20Pick not used912 points66 XG
2021R2 (Essendon)
(estimate: pick 24)
Pick not used785 points56 XG
2021R2 (Greater Western Sydney)
(estimate: pick 27)
Pick not used703 points51 XG
2021R4 (Geelong)
(estimate: pick 71)
Pick not used29 points5 XG
4 picks0 players0 games3265 points221 XG2 picks1 player83 games1488 points160 XG

Live trade back in with who exactly?

Every club in the land desperate to get in to the top 15 in this draft, passing significant over for even teens picks already, and we are just gonna trade back in there in a few weeks when it suits us, after all of the clubs with academy kids have long since traded out of 2024 first round for very generous offers??

Come on now, let’s be realistic.
For every team that trades into the top 15 there is a team trading out of it. Who knows who will be right but it’s not like we didn’t just see the Hawks trading out.

He would be paid by Richmond, and thats exactly what I expect will happen.

You cannot expect a man to be watching his children grow up over video calls, sending them to bed with story time when it's three hours difference for you for months on end. He will grow very resentful and not of Freo.

The AFL treat mental health the same as an injury meaning it allows players to be excused from appearing and performance requirements. Dayne Beams wasn't able to be fired for this reason and for that same reason I'd expect Bolton to be living with his family in WA in 2025 regardless of who is paying him.

It just means the next time he is asking for a trade he isn't going to be worth much of anything.
You exaggerate it a lot. His family is not currently in Perth. They’re in Melbourne. Which is where they’ll stay next year if the trade doesn’t get done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back