Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Blair has talked him out of it on the past , but this time he didn’t, he didn’t because you have the draft assets to make it happen and you would be crazy not to do it because shai bolton is everything Sonny Walter’s was at his best , but at least twice as good .
Twice as good as Sonny at his best!:cool:
Parody

I really want Bolton

Bolton despite the picks we lose would be terrific. Pick 11 or 18 msy not make a difference. Pick 18 could end up a better player long term.

Walls is a smart guy at identifying talent. He can pluck players throughout the draft and this draft is deep.

If we cave with 10 and 11 we still get Bolton and we still get a similar talented player as what is available at 11. I'd back Walls in as it's been noted as a deep draft.

Have to admit, I am worried what we do to get the trade over the line if 10 and 18 isn't enough. While I don't want to move value to next year, I don't think we can afford to take anything out of it. Is just a swap of F2 and F3s enough then we steal an F2 from someone on draft night?

With the picks they have, our 2nd pick this year is of no real use to Richmond I don't think

I wouldn't normally agree, but I can conceivably see how you could turn 2-3 results around from this year just by sticking Bolton in the team instead of Walters or Emmett. Then we finish top 4 and who knows.

That said, I think he could turn 2024 Freo into a prelim team, but we need a significant amount of internal improvement to go with it to actually win I'd think. We were shown up in the last 3 weeks for reason's Bolton won't fix.

There’s so much more that needs to happen than just adding Bolton.

Fortunately I think coaching and natural improvement with some of our younger players will help a lot but if we are a genuine contender next year we’d probably be 4-6 on ladder without Bolton in the side. The idea that one player could improve us that much without other improvement is fantasy land.

Have to admit, I am worried what we do to get the trade over the line if 10 and 18 isn't enough. While I don't want to move value to next year, I don't think we can afford to take anything out of it. Is just a swap of F2 and F3s enough then we steal an F2 from someone on draft night?

With the picks they have, our 2nd pick this year is of no real use to Richmond I don't think
Richmond will blink if we wait long enough.

What is better for them?

10 and 18 or Bolton

Richmond will blink if we wait long enough.

What is better for them?

10 and 18 or Bolton
Never happens that way, there's going to be a compromise. It's just whether that compromise involves getting a pick in the 20s back for pick 11 or we keep 11 and it's shaped another way. I'm just trying to figure out what extra value there could be.

I was positive Knobel would be involved in some way because it made a lot of sense but he hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

There’s so much more that needs to happen than just adding Bolton.

Fortunately I think coaching and natural improvement with some of our younger players will help a lot but if we are a genuine contender next year we’d probably be 4-6 on ladder without Bolton in the side. The idea that one player could improve us that much without other improvement is fantasy land.
The improvement of our list given the age demographic of our best players is kind of implied when people say Bolton could be the difference in 2025.

The improvement of our list given the age demographic of our best players is kind of implied when people say Bolton could be the difference in 2025.

I don’t think it is when it’s coming from those Richmond posters who are saying we’d finish bottom ten without Bolton tbh.

I knew what you meant though.

Never happens that way, there's going to be a compromise. It's just whether that compromise involves getting a pick in the 20s back for pick 11 or we keep 11 and it's shaped another way. I'm just trying to figure out what extra value there could be.

I was positive Knobel would be involved in some way because it made a lot of sense but he hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

They closed off a bunch of options yesterday with that pick swap IMO.

I can’t see Walls trading pick 10 and 11 so it’s future picks or nothing.

Trying to be nice while saying Freo are no chance at contending for a premiership without Bolton, completely ignoring that we've been in contention with one of the youngest lists in the competition.

Then adding to that by saying Bolton is twice the player Sonny has been? Bolton has not been the goal kicker Sonny was and would need to lift dramatically to match what he's done.

Talking down about Freo and it's players is not being nice or discussing in good faith.
It also shows a complete ignorance to other teams and that’s not nice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a tactical perspective we should be focussed to see if there is any other immediate (I've. During the trade period) interest for pick 10 or 11 from other clubs; the downside of that is that having one of those picks will be more valuable as an in-draft trade than through the trade period itself.

Otherwise the only other way I see this deadlock being broken before the near end of the trade period is if Richmond need small change for another deal that we can provide in some shape or fashion.

From my perspective there is a wide range of expected availability of the players between picks 10 - 25, which devalues the difference between pick 11 and pick 18 with respect to this draft specifically. That can be seen two different ways; the Freo lense is that Richmond should be more than happy with 10 and 18. The Richmond lense would be that we should be happy passing over 10 and 11.

sorry for the intrusion but have to say this is quite a take

I really want to be respectful but I think the main thing lost in this discussion is that Richmond will not be contending for a flag with or without Bolton and freo will be contending with Bolton but not without him .

Also he has been made promises by freo , will not look good next year if you are chasing Warner that you cannot get deals done

I also agree this deal will get done , but most of you will
Not like it , that is until shai graces the purple and then you will not give a damn what he cost .

He really is that good , ask Snuffaluphagus he knows .

Another one 🤣

From a tactical perspective we should be focussed to see if there is any other immediate (I've. During the trade period) interest for pick 10 or 11 from other clubs; the downside of that is that having one of those picks will be more valuable as an in-draft trade than through the trade period itself.

Otherwise the only other way I see this deadlock being broken before the near end of the trade period is if Richmond need small change for another deal that we can provide in some shape or fashion.

From my perspective there is a wide range of expected availability of the players between picks 10 - 25, which devalues the difference between pick 11 and pick 18 with respect to this draft specifically. That can be seen two different ways; the Freo lense is that Richmond should be more than happy with 10 and 18. The Richmond lense would be that we should be happy passing over 10 and 11.
You don't think the guys that will be available at 11 are far more appealing to us then those at 18 (taking into account academy players)?

I don’t think it is when it’s coming from those Richmond posters who are saying we’d finish bottom ten without Bolton tbh.

I knew what you meant though.
Ahh gotcha. Yeah if that’s what they think I get where you are coming from. I tend to scan/skip most posts from opposition supporters in this thread.

Gotta say if this happens I’ll start thinking we have a double agent inside the west coast list management team.

Turning down pick 10 and baker for pick 3, only to then go trade pick 3 for 12 and 14 and use 12 to get baker, leaving them with……

Baker and 14 for pick 3,

Would be…. Interesting. A novel strategy I’ll give them that!

It probably wouldn't take much for many of us to nominate three internal changes that realistically would not only have us playing finals, but in the top 4 this year.

Here's three off the top of my head. Could come up with others too...

• Amiss having an extra preseason
  • O' Driscoll developing to be a regular midfield option (not to mention continuity across the season)
  • Johnson feeling more at home at the level and the resultant composure improvement

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back