Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

DEES LOOK FOR DRAFT DOUBLE DIP​

MELBOURNE has interest in trading its future first-round pick for one of the Fremantle's first-round selections this year as the Demons look to double-up on talent in the upcoming draft.

Fremantle list boss David Walls on Monday confirmed the Dockers have interest in flipping one of their three 2024 first-round picks into a 2025 first-round selection, depending on how their quest to land trade target Shai Bolton fares.

"That's definitely a chance. There's a lot of clubs keen to get back in so we'll see what happens at the end of trade period and see how many of the first-rounders we're still holding and if we've traded or not," Walls told Gettable Trade Radio on Monday.

"If we're still holding three, we'd definitely look to roll one forward because we think there's a strong market for it and we could get overs."
I know another way they can get their hands on one of our firsts…

MELBOURNE has interest in trading its future first-round pick for one of the Fremantle's first-round selections this year as the Demons look to double-up on talent in the upcoming draft.

Fremantle list boss David Walls on Monday confirmed the Dockers have interest in flipping one of their three 2024 first-round picks into a 2025 first-round selection, depending on how their quest to land trade target Shai Bolton fares.

"That's definitely a chance. There's a lot of clubs keen to get back in so we'll see what happens at the end of trade period and see how many of the first-rounders we're still holding and if we've traded or not," Walls told Gettable Trade Radio on Monday.

"If we're still holding three, we'd definitely look to roll one forward because we think there's a strong market for it and we could get overs."
So basically if we dont get Shai, we trade Pick 18 for a Melbourne F1 and keep 10 & 11 is what i see from that.

Just trade for Koz instead?

If Richmond got band 2 for Graham, as an end of first round pick would people be happy with 10 and 11 for Bolton and that pick? Means we would still technically have two firsts in our hands to use..

I reckon I can come up with a sure fire way for Melbourne to absolutely get one of our top 10 picks. Without any fancy future first trading either

Just Walls letting Richmond know that we know how valuable our picks are. There’s no way we end up still holding all 3 and trading one forward into next year unless Richmond are complete campaigners

If Richmond got band 2 for Graham, as an end of first round pick would people be happy with 10 and 11 for Bolton and that pick? Means we would still technically have two firsts in our hands to use..

No. In no way should we be giving up our first 2 picks for Bolton unless Richmond are paying half of his wages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. In no way should we be giving up our first 2 picks for Bolton unless Richmond are paying half of his wages.
Remember that by Richmond paying half of Boltons contract means we can offer good coin to Andy and lock him away knowing that Fyfe, Walters will be gone next year ( i assume about 800K per year between them)

If we bring Warner and Bolton in, do we reach that critical talent level that our stars will re-work their contracts and all take slight unders? Usually this would be done through contract extensions, except all our stars are already on 6-7 year deals. Could they forego their TPP indexing clause?

I am struggling to see a world in where Freo, who to date seem to need to pay top dollar to attract players, can buy ready-made players and stay under the salary cap.

If we bring Warner and Bolton in, do we reach that critical talent level that our stars will re-work their contracts and all take slight unders? Usually this would be done through contract extensions, except all our stars are already on 6-7 year deals. Could they forego their TPP indexing clause?

I am struggling to see a world in where Freo, who to date seem to need to pay top dollar to attract players, can buy ready-made players and stay under the salary cap.
Yes, I think all the players are all in and would reduce their deals to get Warner in. Eagles did it with Kelly. Players are hungry for Success and if they think reducing their pay slightly helps them get a flag they'd do it. Salary cap is increased next year so that helps also

Saying publicly "We could get overs" makes for refreshingly candid radio, and shit negotiating tactics

I don’t think it’s an issue, just saying we are open for business but serious offers only.

Maybe the strategy was to give long term contracts at slight unders already, most of the playing group seem motivated by success more than just the money.

Geelong and Carlton seem to be able to do it... regularly..
Must have good book keepers, or accountants.And not forgetting , Carlton are able to lawyer up to win Browlows as well.

Wow. This makes me wonder how many people observe BF without ever actually positing.
I lurked for a while before I signed up and started posting dumb shit.

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Walls said this is something we'd look to do towards the end of trade period if we still hold multiple first rounders. So I'm not even sure if this affects Shai too much cos it's not going to happen before that deal happens

Walls said this is something we'd look to do towards the end of trade period if we still hold multiple first rounders. So I'm not even sure if this affects Shai too much cos it's not going to happen before that deal happens
It was almost definitely just another comment to make sure it's known we "totally dont need Shai really"

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back