Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup I’ve got my microwave ready to go in case they stay.

But the question really is how badly you guys want to have a crack at your maiden flag. Only Freo knows that, which will dictate the trade.

Your current group of players can’t seem to get it done imo. Bolton could be the difference maker like J Cameron for Geelong. I honestly don’t see how picks help you, by the time the draftees get into their prime Serong will be retiring. But that’s just my opinion.
It's simple, we wait till next year when Bolton will be worth 1 first round pick which will be around the 10-16 range.
*Reason being we won't have 3 first round picks to trade. So maybe a 1st and future 2nd will be the trade next year, and it is a weaker draft.

It's simple, we wait till next year when Bolton will be worth 1 first round pick which will be around the 10-16 range.
Nice in theory, but is it worth missing a prelim & maybe even GF spot? Not making finals again would blow up the coach and need another reset.

If you are broke, don’t spend beyond your budget but once you are past that point, sometimes you can splurge since you earnt it.

Yup I’ve got my microwave ready to go in case they stay.

But the question really is how badly you guys want to have a crack at your maiden flag. Only Freo knows that, which will dictate the trade.

Your current group of players can’t seem to get it done imo. Bolton could be the difference maker like J Cameron for Geelong. I honestly don’t see how picks help you, by the time the draftees get into their prime Serong will be retiring. But that’s just my opinion.

23 year old Serong? So it’ll take ten years roughly for these draftees to reach their prime…

Have fun with the rebuild Richmond - It’s going to take ten years for draftees to reach their prime so it’s going to take a while!

Richmond is having four senior players walk out on the club, they need a week of playing hard ball to save some face.
There fans are pretty feral and management needs to be seen as not as push over.

I think the other clubs won't fold. Our final offer will be 10,18, Suns pick 6, and Baker not sure how that will get done.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10+18 for Bolton + 20.
Maybe we need to throw in a future 3rd so Richmond supporters don’t start spitting on their players/coaches again. But I feel like that’s fair in this super draft.

10+18 for Bolton + 20.
Maybe we need to throw in a future 3rd so Richmond supporters don’t start spitting on their players/coaches again. But I feel like that’s fair in this super draft.
They are not taking our 10+18 offer now so why would they add 20. We would ask for 20 or 24 back if we agreed to do 10+11.

There is an article on AFL saying how Brisbane paid premiums to get their key players. References Josh Dunkley who ended up costing picks 21, 23 and 41 as a premium price. Fails to recall how the Bulldogs got upset with the trading of other picks by Brisbane to secure enough points to add Ashcroft and Jaspa Fletcher that same year.

Apparently Sydney have offered 19 and 22 for GC pick 13 so there is another good indicator of how good 10 and 11 are.

I also read over the spiel at the start of Twomey's phantom drafts and the gushing comments about this year's talent did not appear in previous years.

I'm pretty sure 10+18 will ultimately be accepted with maybe an F2 thrown in for an F3 coming back.

The thing none of us know is how much (if any) of Boltons salary Richmond is going to cough up.
When we appear to “fold” on Monday, it could actually be that they have added 200k pa into the offer, $1mil over 5 years in salary is not to be sneezed at

Nice in theory, but is it worth missing a prelim & maybe even GF spot? Not making finals again would blow up the coach and need another reset.

If you are broke, don’t spend beyond your budget but once you are past that point, sometimes you can splurge since you earnt it.
You seem to think not getting Bolton is guaranteed to cost us a prelim/gf/finals. What if we trade Bolton in and miss prelim/gf/finals, this is also plausible with a couple of injuries.

Pick 6 seems a lot for Rioli who turns 28 in April 2025. At that age getting 100 games out of him would be a major result, but do you want a 100 game player for pick 6, even if you gamble some of those games will still be in his peak playing years. Someone posted the stats to suggest that it's a bit of a historical curse to have pick 6 on draft day. Serong has played 100 games as a Pick 8 so there's that comparison too.

It seems the draft value index, points per pick this year could be less significant when weighing up what a trade is worth if the draft is even. (I know the points values are changing a bit in 2025)
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1223455/the-draft-change-adding-another-element-to-upcoming-trade-frenzy

You would rather quantity of picks if the quality of player is even from say pick 6 to pick 18, whereas the points rating system says that the total value of picks drops by about 760 points in that range.

Like the hypothetical trade suggestion a few posts above of 10 & 11 for 14 plus Bolton values Bolton as a pick 8 & 73. Pick 8 would be about right but maybe not in a draft where pick 8 was much the same as pick 14, and I guess with a club in Richmond's situation with so many holes in their list they're looking for more selections in that even range. - so they might argue that they want 10,11 & 18 for pick 20,24 and Bolton which would value Bolton around pick 5 & 62.

They are not taking our 10+18 offer now so why would they add 20. We would ask for 20 or 24 back if we agreed to do 10+11.

There is an article on AFL saying how Brisbane paid premiums to get their key players. References Josh Dunkley who ended up costing picks 21, 23 and 41 as a premium price. Fails to recall how the Bulldogs got upset with the trading of other picks by Brisbane to secure enough points to add Ashcroft and Jaspa Fletcher that same year.

Apparently Sydney have offered 19 and 22 for GC pick 13 so there is another good indicator of how good 10 and 11 are.

I also read over the spiel at the start of Twomey's phantom drafts and the gushing comments about this year's talent did not appear in previous years.

I'm pretty sure 10+18 will ultimately be accepted with maybe an F2 thrown in for an F3 coming back.
You can see clubs fighting over pick 13 etc. Pick 10 on its own is huge.

23 year old Serong? So it’ll take ten years roughly for these draftees to reach their prime…

Have fun with the rebuild Richmond - It’s going to take ten years for draftees to reach their prime so it’s going to take a while!

They are 18. Plus 7 years is 25 which is just entering prime age.

Serong will be 30 at this time and will be close to finishing up never mind the other players who are older than him.

Going to the draft now is essentially starting again with a rebuild. Especially because it’ll be your maiden flag I’d go aggressive with trades. Players like Bolton aren’t available every year. Do you want to be wondering if he would’ve made a difference if you pass? That would play on my mind. Risk it for the biscuit imo.

Nank, Prestia and Caddy was the difference in a flag for us in 2017. Bolton is better than each of them.

Serong will be 30 at this time and will be close to finishing up never mind the other players who are older than him.

Going to the draft now is essentially starting again with a rebuild. Especially because it’ll be your maiden flag I’d go aggressive with trades. Players like Bolton aren’t available every year. Do you want to be wondering if he would’ve made a difference if you pass? That would play on my mind. Risk it for the biscuit imo.
Pretty sure Bolton will be available next year or the year after or the year after that..

He wants out and will be traded out this year for a decent package.

Nank, Prestia and Caddy was the difference in a flag for us in 2017. Bolton is better than each of them.
I was just thinking, we're all going around in circles, if only the great Cleansweep17 could set us straight.

Pretty sure Bolton will be available next year or the year after or the year after that..

He wants out and will be traded out this year for a decent package.

Each year that passes in an opportunity lost for a flag. Getting him in 3 years for a year or 2 is such a waste of time for you guys imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back