List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Would we rather Peatling or Macrae? Would be surprised if we got both AND drafted another 2 mids with Steele, Pou, Windy, Garcia, Clark, Dow, Jones (?) already listed, looks like a fair logjam in the middle.

Think Peatling has shown enough to throw a decent offer at him.
I’d take both, and I’d draft Langford/Murphy Reid at 7. I’d then trade 8 for Houston if you have the chance.

You address both the immediate and long term concerns of our midfield by getting ready made mids and a talent to grow alongside Wilson, Pou, Dow, Hugo & Garcia.

You then go and an elite footballer to our list in Houston

There’s a little bit of an ageist attitude on this board. Yes we might be regenerating the list, but there are more players than ever playing to until 35 years +.
Theres nothing to say someone like Houston doesn’t have another 150 games, or Macrae doesn’t play another 4 seasons.
It’s a balancing act to ensure they complement the development of the rest of the list but I have no issue bringing some players older than 25 into the club.

Averaged 43 touches and 6 tackles in his 3 VFL games this year.

Taking away his 4 games where he started as a sub he still averaged a respectable 21 disposals a game, whilst being mainly squeezed out of the Dogs midfield.

Macrae has averaged 30 possessions over his career, our best mid is Steele, who has never had a season where he has averaged 30. Steele averaged 24 touches a game this year as our highest averaging midfielder. I've (conveniently skipped Sinclair because of his hbf role).

Steele needs help, mature experienced help. Crouch is closer to the paralympics than a game with us and Ross is gone.

I'm absolutely of the opinion that Macrae has a lot to offer still and he is exactly what Steele and our inexperienced midfield needs.
Todays assessment (subject to change without prior notice)

If Crouch and Ross are gone then Macrae makes sense. $'s and a very late pick

Given their departures you'd expect Peatling to end up at the Doggies so I'd cross him of the list.

Doubt we'll be realistically in the race for Houston.

If we have cash to spare then perhaps $'s and a late pick for Lukosios. If not Tomlinson.

A ruckman from somewhere, somehow (3rd rounder???)

7 & 8 to the draft for younger mids, 24 for a tall defender

Cole and Peckett

Get Banger to pull on the boots so we can fill our age quota. FMD
Hahaha mate, no need to be a condescending w***er. If you don’t like what I’ve posted jog on.

If you don’t want to bring proven talent to the club then let’s trade everyone over 25, start again and go back to draft ala North Melbourne.
Seems to be effective.

Fsir enough ..... but who does he push out of our starting 22?

Put the pieces together. We are interested in Macrae and Jones still doesn't have a contract for next year at this stage, which means it must be dependent on what we can add (unlike Membrey and Howard).

On the 23 that played v Carlton, it's not Clark. It'd be more likely to be Dow. But it's probably Jones (not just in the 23 but on the list).

I’d take both, and I’d draft Langford/Murphy Reid at 7. I’d then trade 8 for Houston if you have the chance.

You address both the immediate and long term concerns of our midfield by getting ready made mids and a talent to grow alongside Wilson, Pou, Dow, Hugo & Garcia.

You then go and an elite footballer to our list in Houston
It's a reasonable sounding option.

But seeing someone like Travaglia go at 8, with Tassie looming on the horizon. It'll have me wondering if we've made a big blunder.

Then again, going by the last few rounds it looks like we're going hard at regaining respect without too much regard for the distant future. That's Ross, I guess, and it's one way to do things.

Hahaha mate, no need to be a condescending w***er. If you don’t like what I’ve posted jog on.

If you don’t want to bring proven talent to the club then let’s trade everyone over 25, start again and go back to draft ala North Melbourne.
Seems to be effective.
Someone's w#nking... but it ain't me campaigner.

If Crouch and Ross are gone then Macrae makes sense. $'s and a very late pick

Given their departures you'd expect Peatling to end up at the Doggies so I'd cross him of the list.

Doubt we'll be realistically in the race for Houston.

If we have cash to spare then perhaps $'s and a late pick for Lukosios. If not Tomlinson.

A ruckman from somewhere, somehow (3rd rounder???)

7 & 8 to the draft for younger mids, 24 for a tall defender

Cole and Peckett
Smith didn’t play all year and Macrae was barely best 22, I don’t think that’ll impact Peatling who’d want to be assured that he’s best 22 before he moves

Can see Collingwood trading their Joe Richards pick for Peatling

Put the pieces together. We are interested in Macrae and Jones still doesn't have a contract for next year at this stage, which means it must be dependent on what we can add (unlike Membrey and Howard).

On the 23 that played v Carlton, it's not Clark. It'd be more likely to be Dow. But it's probably Jones (not just in the 23 but on the list).
Dow has looked pretty ordinary, let’s be honest. We need better players than him running through our midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't understand the Clark criticism.

In some ways he is our best midfielder.

Don't mind the idea of Macrae. We really missed Crouch this year.
Can understand the Clark criticism but doesn’t mean he’s a bad player, it just means he’s frustrating

So much talent, but seems to lack the work ethic to fulfill his potential. Annoying since we used a top 10 pick on him

Also annoying that aerobic capacity seems to be his main issue which is sooo easy to fix when you put in the work

Dow has looked pretty ordinary, let’s be honest. We need better players than him running through our midfield.

I'm happy to wait to see him get a proper pre-season under the belt (if if can before 2025), and there are some things I like about him, but I prefer others.

I think the assumption with Clark is if he can average 20 disposals on 60% game time, what can get with 75% game time?

What if he just gets the same 20 disposals?

Clark averaged his 2nd highest disposal average in 2024 (2020 may have been higher if not for shorter games), and career highs for tackles, inside 50s and clearances. He's clearly in the "needs to be playing well to command a spot in the side", but I think many can't get past the TOG when it might not be that much of a problem (it's not like we have 17 on the field when he's not out there).

Could very easily be Clark.

He might have some good moments but a mid who plays 60% game time for 20 disposals is very replaceable.
He'll build his tank and up that. Beauty of Clark is he's got the most unique skillset of our mids right now, and doesn't need more than 20-25 possies to make a difference. But hey, we need healthy competition across the list, so if Macrae brings that and we're better for it regardless of who plays on game day, I'll be happy.

We just want to win.

I'd trade in Houston,Mc Crae & Peatling why not instant improvement use pick 7 on your younger M/F, premiership widows are driven by media no such thing.

Brisbanes had the same window for 6 or 7 year how are they going,Hawthorn were still building the frame for their window last year and even this year now there a threat.

It all comes down to availabilty and luck and that would be 90% of sides you will always get 2-3 side not contending.

I think the assumption with Clark is if he can average 20 disposals on 60% game time, what can get with 75% game time?

What if he just gets the same 20 disposals?

Clark averaged his 2nd highest disposal average in 2024 (2020 may have been higher if not for shorter games), and career highs for tackles, inside 50s and clearances. He's clearly in the "needs to be playing well to command a spot in the side", but I think many can't get past the TOG when it might not be that much of a problem (it's not like we have 17 on the field when he's not out there).
Spot on Punter.

I reckon the TOG % isn't really an indication of poor fitness, etc but that Ross doesn't rate Hunts anywhere but as an inside mid.

His value is now in getting the ball at a stoppage (which he is actually pretty good at doing) and using it well in transition (which he is also pretty reliable with outside of the occasional glaring clanger that everyone remembers).

His stints at HB are few & far between because we have better options there now.

Spot on Punter.

I reckon the TOG % isn't really an indication of poor fitness, etc but that Ross doesn't rate Hunts anywhere but as an inside mid.

His value is now in getting the ball at a stoppage (which he is actually pretty good at doing) and using it well in transition (which he is also pretty reliable with outside of the occasional glaring clanger that everyone remembers).

His stints at HB are few & far between because we have better options there now.
If that’s the case then he won’t be best 22 next year assuming we recruit players that are rated by Ross - Peatling and/or Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back