List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

McCrae and his management will have an agreement with a club for him to request a trade with 3 years left on his contract. That’s a given.

Whether it’s us, well that’s yet to be seen. We will find out soon enough.
SOS has proven to be a very strong negotiator. I suspect a future 3rd will get it done.
One of his big attractions will be his ability to mentor our young mids. He’s been an elite clearance player and played in an elite midfield.

If Macrae wants in, we improve out of sight, it's that simple. It'll be a real shame if we can't get him across the line.

If we get Reid, he will be a fantastic mentor for him, if not, I see him taking Wilson under his wing.

We've been crying out for classy accumulators who can hit a forward on the chest - he is exactly that. Steeley needs help in there, a mature accumulator- who gets 30+ for fun is just what he needs.

He is simply such a great fit for us in our current state and takes pressure off Hugo, Pou, Wilson, Windy and this year's draftees for the next couple of years.

Midfield is much less important these days. You can get away with one really good one a few quality rotations. Rebound and outside run is where you can add more avenues. Losing Battle hurts at least short term. Bringing in an elite backman means we probably upgrade Battle and we still get to pick up a top pick with our pick 7. It’s not the worst idea. We are at least a step closer to top 4.
Our midfield has been or achilles heel for the past 10 years. We finally have a chance to get ahead of the curve and build an elite young midfield. I think its negligent to cough up a lung for Houston and forego a strong midfield.

So in summary:

Trade in
1. Dan Houston - AA Utility 27yo (can we do this with without coughing up pick 7 or 8? maybe use next year’s 1st round instead)
2. Macrae - Mid 30yo (3rd round)
3. Reeves - Monster ruck 25yo (4th round)
4. Taylor - HF with x factor 24yo (4th round)
5. J Serong - 3rd tall 21yo (4th round)
6. Tomlinson - CHB 31yo (DFA)
7. Peatling - Mid 24yo (future 2nd)

Out
Membrey (3rd round), Paton (3rd round), Howard (2nd round), Hayes (3rd round), Crouch, Hotton, O’connell (need the list spot), Jones (if we secure Peatling)

Draft
  • 2 mids with pick 7 and 8
  • next 2 best available (mid + key fwd/back)
  • Peckett, Hoffman, Cole

Last edited:
We've been crying out for classy accumulators who can hit a forward on the chest - he is exactly that. Steeley needs help in there, a mature accumulator- who gets 30+ for fun is just what he needs.

He is simply such a great fit for us in our current state and takes pressure off Hugo, Pou, Wilson, Windy
He got 30 once this year and his next best was 25 .... and they were both early in the season

With him in the side it pushes someone out ..... Hugo might not get a senior game

Macrae will be quite unique when he ends up being part of breaking two premiership droughts.

Imagine a player playing in a Premiership with both Footscray and St Kilda.

Now, that would be something. Quite an achievement.

Like owning a pair of hen’s teeth.

I’m totally against it because I don’t want to lose draft capital and the contract is terrible and the Dogs should be made to wear it. I think by the second year, he’ll be reasonably cooked, if not the third and we’ll be paying him a fortune.

But having said that and before the negotiations get going … for those that want him, what would you be happy handing over draft pick wise? Genuine question.
Future 3rd
Not sure the dogs will want too much being they don’t even want to play him and will need to contract off the books. Can’t see them haggling over a 30yr old

I'm also totally against it. Don't need that contract on our books with a bunch of young guys to sign over the next couple of years, decent free agents on the market and Tassie on the horizon. Plus he's taking midfield minutes from guys we should be developing in the ones. Seen enough of Hugo in the sub vest already. Very different players but I'd rather re-sign Jones (who doesn't look like he's running in treacle) at a fraction of the cost and keep our picks.

To answer your second question, we might need points for Cole / Peckett bids (if we intend on matching), so we'll need something coming back. Neither of us have fourth rounders, but we have 43 and they have 44 + a VFL player on a $2m 3-year contract. Sounds about right to me. Dogs are welcome to keep him otherwise.

I'm also totally against it. Don't need that contract on our books with a bunch of young guys to sign over the next couple of years, decent free agents on the market and Tassie on the horizon. Plus he's taking midfield minutes from guys we should be developing in the ones. Seen enough of Hugo in the sub vest already. Very different players but I'd rather re-sign Jones (who doesn't look like he's running in treacle) at a fraction of the cost and keep our picks.

To answer your second question, we might need points for Cole / Peckett bids (if we intend on matching), so we'll need something coming back. Neither of us have fourth rounders, but we have 43 and they have 44 + a VFL player on a $2m 3-year contract. Sounds about right to me. Dogs are welcome to keep him otherwise.
This tweet reminded me of the fact that we supposedly have the or nearly the best recruiter in town. So let’s trade them away for Macrae 😂😂 1725969253109.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Macrae wants in, we improve out of sight, it's that simple. It'll be a real shame if we can't get him across the line.

If we get Reid, he will be a fantastic mentor for him, if not, I see him taking Wilson under his wing.

He is simply such a great fit for us in our current state and takes pressure off Hugo, Pou, Wilson, Windy and this year's draftees for the next couple of years.
Pretty confident Macrae can still find the footy though not overly quick - if he is a solid citizen (no reason to think otherwise) and he is prepared to mentor our young mids then I’m all in.

Also strikes me to be the quiet determined type who would like nothing more to stick it to Bevo and prove him wrong.

Essington it is then. Good.
Haha funny you say that. My Essendon mate (I know I know) just responded on Macrae that “us” loser clubs scratch around for hasbeens thinking they’ll make all the difference, while the good players just quietly slink away to Hawthorn and Geelong. Reminds me of the 80s and dining out on Carlton’s retirements.

Well we were a top 4 rebound team this year so why aren’t we playing finals?

Also, top four after H&A season:

Sydney: Gulden, Warner, Heeney, Rowbottom
Port Adelaide: Butters, Rozee, JHF, Wines, Drew
Geelong: Dangerfield, Stewart, Holmes, Atkins (this one probably aligns with your point)
GWS: Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Callaghan

Then there’s:
Brisbane: Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage
Carlton: Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy
Bulldogs: Bont, Treloar, Libba

Is midfield really “much less important these days”?

The midfield has always been the most important piece of any team. If you have a very good midfield then everything becomes mush easier, and you can make do with an only so so forward line etc.

The Cats are the main exception as midfield is their weakness. BUT they have many other strengths and a freak in Cameron.

Last edited:
For how high they were picked both Clark and Coffield are abject fails. However the club chose the absolute worst draft in history to attempt to find two possible midfielders. I distinctly recall Elshaugh stating that he thought both had midfield potential following the draft. It just shows how bad the club were at list management and projecting talent ahead of time back then. Stacking early picks is one thing, timing and making the right selections is another.

The errors back then are not the reason to trade out of this years draft, unless we can find an A grade midfielder that wants to joins us eg Brayshaw.
Errors or just bad luck? Coffield finished top 5 in our b&f in a top 6 finals year. It was his third year. He had a down year the year after, then all training reports suggested he was flying at pre season then did his knee and kept having injuries after that. Clarke was going along beautifully, and has had some horrible luck with some pretty traumatic injuries and did his calf this year and he was catching up all year fitness wise. I think our midfield improved significantly once he gained form and fitness. Although Elshaugh was a borderline disaster, calling Clark and Coffield fails on the surface might be true, but there’s been undoubtedly reasons why. And lack of talent and ability isn’t one of them.

Josh Battle, Seb Ross out
Dan Houston, Jackson McRae in.

Does that improve the list?

Bonner out, Houston in.
If you’re going for like for like replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Exactly what we require. Crouch probably gone, Seb gone, Jones, Dow and Clark injury prone. We need decent depth in the mids with good players there.
We just dont have that at the moment.
100% this.

We currently have 1 consistently good AFL quality midfielder. Steele needs help. We cant got into another season with just him, a couple of 24-25 year olds yet to put together full seasons as mids and a bunch of kids. It's not fair to Steele. He needs someone to help carry the load while those kids develop.

Don’t care either way on McRae. Geelong would make more sense considering they are contending again and have a history of getting the best out of players in the twilight of their careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back