List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Moving picks costs capital. I'm sitting on what we have too.
We are probably taking 3 live picks when you exclude academy/FS.

So the question is effectively, if we can bring forward a first rounder. Is it better value ?

If we trade the future first we then can’t trade the future 2nd 3rd 4th so I expect that is why we are stonewalling on Macrae and Soldo.

If 9 comes in and Future 1st and 27 are out it means all we have to trade for both is 47 with no points remaining for any bids on Cole or/and Hoffman. Will need to be some more pick swapping to allow for all this to work. Shame our uncontracted players Paton Hayes and Membrey are unlikely to earn us any picks.

If we trade the future first we then can’t trade the future 2nd 3rd 4th so I expect that is why we are stonewalling on Macrae and Soldo.

If 9 comes in and Future 1st and 27 are out it means all we have to trade for both is 47 with no points remaining for any bids on Cole or/and Hoffman. Will need to be some more pick swapping to allow for all this to work. Shame our uncontracted players Paton Hayes and Membrey are unlikely to earn us any picks.
You can get exemptions and that would be ticked off by the AFL given we have been consistently at the draft. From memory the AFL already ticked off something similar for Port, who’ve traded away a stack of picks in recent years.

Whatever happens we have to keep our first round draft pick next year , the reason being if we are going after Callaghan we will need it.
Hopefully they already know his intentions by meeting with him already - as they have said they want to bring a few of the local guys back home.
The issue is that clubs know just as well as our guys do that that F1 has all of the value of a cheap St Vinny’s jacket. If its value is about half of what a 1st usually is then we’ll still need to find the rest. I’m a big fan of Callaghan, but I think our best shot will have to be FAs.

Don't really care if we get McRae to be honest. If we draft 2 mids, then ideally they get some playing time next year.

We also have Garcia and Windhager who should he getting a crack at cementing a spot.

Jones, Dow and Clark add some senior experience. That's 7 blokes on top of Steele and Pou.

McRae probably does make us better the next year or two, but it's not going to move the needle much. Happy to give more opportunities to those coming through.

Don't really care if we get McRae to be honest. If we draft 2 mids, then ideally they get some playing time next year.

We also have Garcia and Windhager who should he getting a crack at cementing a spot.

Jones, Dow and Clark add some senior experience. That's 7 blokes on top of Steele and Pou.

McRae probably does make us better the next year or two, but it's not going to move the needle much. Happy to give more opportunities to those coming through.

We missed Crouch this year. MÄcCray fills that void. Brings experience, leadership, and the young guys would walk taller with him in the side IMO.

Plus he's a gun.

And the competition is pretty even at the moment. Maybe a good run with injuries, a couple break out years from Pou and Nas, King finding his feet...Macrae can make a difference.

Also I'm seemingly always stupidly optimistic so that helps...

I can just imagine Jack Steele struggling to get out bed thanks to a still banged up body despite 6 weeks of no footy. Poor bloke picks up his phone, reads bigfooty and has a nervous breakdown.

The guy needs help, we need Macrae, Steele will be using a walker by the time he is 30 without help.

Macrae would be nice but if Bulldogs are playing hardball you just say not interested and move on.

We are not winning a premiership in the next 2 years.

Would rather save the headaches go to the draft take best mids available and develop our own than deal with clubs trying to "Win" a trade.
Yeh we have been 15 years in the wilderness for having a strategy of trading the family cow (picks) for a handful of fake magic beans (GOPs). No more overpaying for 'fast tracking'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can just imagine Jack Steele struggling to get out bed thanks to a still banged up body despite 6 weeks of no footy. Poor bloke picks up his phone, reads bigfooty and has a nervous breakdown.

The guy needs help, we need Macrae, Steele will be using a walker by the time he is 30 without help.
Agreed, but we can't get bent over for that reason. Stocker did a good fill in job and could do it again if need be.

List spots are an underrated factor in this
So let's have a look

OutInStill out of contract
Matthew Allison (del)Pick 7Tim Membrey
Josh Battle (FA)Pick 8Jack Hayes
Riley Bonner (del)Pick 27 (pick 9 if we trade it alongside future 1st)Ben Paton
Tom Campbell (DFA)Soldo?Olli Hotton
Seb Ross (del)Macrae?Pay out Brad Crouch?
James Van Es (del)Peckett?
Cole?
Hofmann?
Linder?

We are probably taking 3 live picks when you exclude academy/FS.

So the question is effectively, if we can bring forward a first rounder. Is it better value ?

Next year we lose a FRDP we need to replace it and that always costs overs. Happy to just take what we have. The draft is deep rather than a spectacular top end. 27 should still be a good player. Guys like Jack Ough, Simms, Faul etc all around that pick. Could end up the best in the draft types.

Would love to see Owens used more in the midfield. What’s the knock. Not fit enough, lack of agility? Or RTB just prefers him in the forward half?

He started the year in incredible form and after it might have been the GWS game where he hurt his knee, he struggled to get through. Has had a few years of carrying the midfield and playing sore. Even Cripps had a period like that.

If 9 comes in and Future 1st and 27 are out it means all we have to trade for both is 47 with no points remaining for any bids on Cole or/and Hoffman. Will need to be some more pick swapping to allow for all this to work.

Nah wouldn’t worry too much about late picks for points. Matching gets very cheap after about 40, and all our picks late will come in a bunch with bidding. Remember if we have list spots we always get given picks to fill them from the end of the draft. It’ll all work out.

I think a few on here have gone a bit crazy in general ...... pick swapping for the hell of it

7 & 8 are great picks

2 of Langford / Smillie / Reid / Lindsay / Travaglia

That's seems to be what will likely be available
Seconded.

In fairness though, what else can people do but make up trades (while bugger all happens during the trade period)?

I hope we keep our picks until draft night and wait for live trading offers to come.

Macrae would be nice but if Bulldogs are playing hardball you just say not interested and move on.

We are not winning a premiership in the next 2 years.

Would rather save the headaches go to the draft take best mids available and develop our own than deal with clubs trying to "Win" a trade.

You don't want to overpay but I think we need to get it done and will for something fair. Playing finals might attract the FAs that come up next year. Waiting for a goldilocks situation is also a negative. I think it's just posturing at the moment.

So let's have a look

OutInStill out of contract
Matthew Allison (del)Pick 7Tim Membrey
Josh Battle (FA)Pick 8Jack Hayes
Riley Bonner (del)Pick 27 (pick 9 if we trade it alongside future 1st)Ben Paton
Tom Campbell (DFA)Soldo?Olli Hotton
Seb Ross (del)Macrae?Pay out Brad Crouch?
James Van Es (del)Peckett?
Cole?
Hofmann?
Linder?
You have to include Max Hall and a Sandy rookie as ins. Hall signed a 18 month contract and we have rightly or wrongly committed to drafting one Sandy player

Would love to see Owens used more in the midfield. What’s the knock. Not fit enough, lack of agility? Or RTB just prefers him in the forward half?
Gets lost in traffic. I tend to agree.
Given what he's been through this year we haven't seen his best. Hopefully he returns to beast mode next season and the speculation goes away. I think the kid just needs a serve of self belief and he'll be apples.

You don't want to overpay but I think we need to get it done and will for something fair. Playing finals might attract the FAs that come up next year. Waiting for a goldilocks situation is also a negative. I think it's just posturing at the moment.
Not having a go but one post we need to keep 7+8+27 for the draft but then say we need to deal fairly.
Bulldogs demanding pick 27 and won't budge.
So if this is the case 6.30 Wednesday night, do we fold and give 27 or keep 27 for the draft and 'risk' FA's in 12 month?

Personally if it came to that scenario, I would take 27 to the draft.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He can ask for pick 27 but I think we are prepared to walk away if Power is unwilling to operate in a realistic manner.
You’d hope so.
At this stage it’s probably bluster though.
He’ll fold. What a way to treat a long time player at your club who has not been played and requested to move.
Terrible look.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back