List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

All this Shiel talk...
cat face GIF

Nup, hate it. You're talking about the first 33 games of his career - shows plenty of promise. Raw aggression, appetite for pressure as a tall, and has the athletic profile to apply it. Make forwards who aren't good enough as a forward to be a backmen (see R.Lobb). Hammer has it, don't mess with his development.
Right so you want him to develop into a pressure key forward...

Anyway, I'll take Ross' opinion. He's the one that's compared Hammer to "make forwards who aren't good enough as a forward to be a backmen" time and time again and also trialled him there before King's injury so we'll see what happens

i wish shiel would just retire so i dont have to put up with this crap about him every year,you just know we are going to lose out on whatever deal we do to get him

id rather get an alpha like parker and at worst lose out on a deal with sydney

better than both get peatling,who is in the age bracket where he could play when we are likely contending

(assuming all cost similar assets from our end=not much)

Hammer has only kicked a bag of 3 once in his career and never more from 33 games. Average 1.03 per game. Its a solid return but I wouldn't call him a figjam forward. Definitely think there's potential with him in defence, his marking is elite and he's a big unit

Sound like a broken record, but Arie and Hammer as our version of May and Lever would be a nice development project to look at next year

He reminds me of Liam Jones. If he developed into an intercept KPD that would be best bang for buck out of Hammer. King/Sharman seems the reasonable KPF team to develop. Maybe need to look for a Membery replacement over next year. Tim looks like he has a year left in him.

Right so you want him to develop into a pressure key forward...

Anyway, I'll take Ross' opinion. He's the one that's compared Hammer to "make forwards who aren't good enough as a forward to be a backmen" time and time again and also trialled him there before King's injury so we'll see what happens

He's shown a lot as a key forward though for his age.

That would be my argument.

Probably ok to play him in defense if its just part of getting senior games into him but he's a fantastic prospect as a forward if that's what he and the club want.

I would suspect Ross has an open mind given we might need him back more than forward since we already have King and Sharman.

If Howard is considering other options, do we have someone in mind from another club?

If Howard and battle both go, we have just reversed our roles with hawthorn?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can laugh, but Saints twitter is just as bad.View attachment 2085154
What is it with Bombers supporters wanting our compo picks? They really don’t understand how free agency works, do they? We lose the player so we get the pick. And how about if you want to offload Shiel we’ll take him and your first rounder for a packet of chips plus you pay his salary.

I reckon if he's big enough to play the role forward he can do it in defense.

He would probably need to be your intercept defender though, not a stopper.
Totally different position , as a forward he is leading up so he can get away with being a bit shorter , as a back chasing tail he is not tall enough to jump over someone to spoil the mark

Totally different position , as a forward he is leading up so he can get away with being a bit shorter , as a back chasing tail he is not tall enough to jump over someone to spoil the mark

I'm just basing my comment on what he's done previously. He was always quite good as an intercept mark when thrown back on occasions. Obviously its a bit different when it's a permanent role change and he has an opponent

I'm just basing my comment on what he's done previously. He was always quite good as an intercept mark when thrown back on occasions. Obviously its a bit different when it's a permanent role change and he has an opponent
Yeah when he has gone back as a spare that's a different thing as you say ,

Boomers at work talking Stringer to saints.
Something about it on fox footy last night?
Can’t find any news on it and don’t see any chat here

We’d be stupid to go after Stringer after the Thomas debacle.

Plus he’s a crap, unfit plodder now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He reminds me of Liam Jones. If he developed into an intercept KPD that would be best bang for buck out of Hammer. King/Sharman seems the reasonable KPF team to develop. Maybe need to look for a Membery replacement over next year. Tim looks like he has a year left in him.
Exactly. Jones if he develops his defensive craft, Lever if he doesn't quite become that full back to take monsters. Then that frees up a forward spot for Heath or Keeler

My issue is if we keep Hammer forward, how are we fitting those two youngsters in the team going forward? King, Sharman, Caminiti, Owens leaves zero room for anyone else. If Keeler and Heath fail, we can always just return Hammer forward

The prospect of this in maybe 5 years makes me very excited:

FB: Caminiti, Arie, McLennan/Stocker
HB: Nas, Wilkie (i still think he has 5+ years left like Rampe), Hastie
C: Byrnes, Pou, Wilson
HF: Henry, King, Owens
FF: Higgins, Sharman, Keeler/Heath
F: Row/Heath, Windy, Garcia

Membrey could be the stop gap for a year or 2 in Battle’s position til Ari or Van Es come on.

You'd need to eliminate his hesitation to play on, and its a bit late to teach him new tricks i think.

Membrey could be the stop gap for a year or 2 in Battle’s position til Ari or Van Es come on.
Take away one of our most accurate kicks for goal?
King and Joey mentioned this in First Crack, but expert as I am :) not sure about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back