List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what we gain from delisting Hayes?? He's not drawing a huge salary, and if he gets a good run with this body, he's more than handy backup.

At 29 come round 1 next year, we're not building our next generation around him, but I struggle to see how he doesnt keep a list spot for 2025
Because it’ll come down to a younger guy or him, if we keep him… might mean that Hotton or Van Es don’t get a gig.

+1.

Keeler hopefully to make that position his own in 25

Heath also running around as a ruck forward, so if they plan to use him, Hayes has people around his position to be a "move on please" and they'll pick another project ruck whilst TC is here.

Not sure what we gain from delisting Hayes?? He's not drawing a huge salary, and if he gets a good run with this body, he's more than handy backup.

At 29 come round 1 next year, we're not building our next generation around him, but I struggle to see how he doesnt keep a list spot for 2025
Which 6 players would you delist ?

Moving Hayes shouldn’t come as a surprise. Our off season moves last season show that Ross values availability. Think both of the Adelaide sides would benefit from Hayes on their list.
He may overcome the injuries but it won’t be at st Kilda and it won’t be at the expense of our developing young talls

I don't understand the salary cap management if we don't match Battle. We have a huge gap between his age and our gun kids coming through. In the time that they are looking for big increases he will be half way through, the salary cap will have increased and they could renegotiate his last part.

And before a ton of UFA comments back.... Tell his management we will match. If nothing else it will say his family ties to the Hawks are stronger than the relationships he's built himself...in which case...cya door is that way.

I don't understand the salary cap management if we don't match Battle. We have a huge gap between his age and our gun kids coming through. In the time that they are looking for big increases he will be half way through, the salary cap will have increased and they could renegotiate his last part.

And before a ton of UFA comments back.... Tell his management we will match. If nothing else it will say his family ties to the Hawks are stronger than the relationships he's built himself...in which case...cya door is that way.

Yeah and then make sure you get over to Wilkie and let him know were going to give him $2mil per season. Imma go with the first part :straining:

Mild sarcasm aside, paying overs for Battle isn't going to help us win a premiership. You can bring defenders in to play a role. The chances of bringing in elite midfield talent outside of the draft without being right on the cusp is somewhere between Buckley's and None.

Last edited:

Clearly we know the amount that would trigger a pick after ours and that’s what we want. All Ross has spoken about for two years is how far off we are in the midfield and they’re probably thinking this gives us the best chance to fix it. It’s unfortunate that we have to lose Battle to get the pick but we don’t get any father sons or academy players so this is our lot.

Yeah and then make sure you get over to Wilkie and let him know were going to give him $2mil per season. Imma go with the first part :straining:

Mild sarcasm aside, paying overs for Battle isn't going to help us win a premiership. You can bring defenders in to play a role. The chances of bringing in elite midfield talent outside of the draft without being right on the cusp is somewhere between Buckley's and None.
Get the mild sarcasm 👍 and appreciate the response. I guess I'm looking at the culture piece but in this day and age everything is transactional. I'm not convinced that Cal would sweat it though.

I've had a very long term mate that I first met on a job 25 years ago that every job in our industry we've got we've told each other what we're earning. We've done jobs where one of us has earnt a lot more than the other but we know the best day on the job is together. I'd hope Josh Battle looks at Callum Wilkie and says my best day will always be next to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get the mild sarcasm 👍 and appreciate the response. I guess I'm looking at the culture piece but in this day and age everything is transactional. I'm not convinced that Cal would sweat it though.

I've had a very long term mate that I first met on a job 25 years ago that every job in our industry we've got we've told each other what we're earning. We've done jobs where one of us has earnt a lot more than the other but we know the best day on the job is together. I'd hope Josh Battle looks at Callum Wilkie and says my best day will always be next to him.

Well along those lines, the culture piece is everyone taking a snip and pulling in the same direction together. So if Battle was part of what your selling the money wouldn't make a difference. He either wants to be a Saint or doesn't, 100K here or there shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Well along those lines, the culture piece is everyone taking a snip and pulling in the same direction together. So if Battle was part of what your selling the money wouldn't make a difference. He either wants to be a Saint or doesn't, 100K here or there shouldn't be the deciding factor.
I agree which is what I was getting at. If I was Josh I'd stay for less. If I'm the club I'm also going to try retain him at what he wants. If he goes then he's going for other reasons like his family's Hawthorn support. That seems very weird to me as a 26 year old but everyone has different circumstances. He's spent a lot of years with us and the past couple of years show a path. I reckon from an employment view I'd stay in an organisation that seems to be growing.

The current world with employment though has me totally f*cked with what people want so I'm not one to listen to.

Keeping Hayes means we'd probably not be able to fit one of Peckett, Cole, Hofmann on our list due to list size constraints. It's the right call to delist him.
Sad but true.
Got to go youth now. Especially when it’s an older player with an iffy body.

Keeping Hayes means we'd probably not be able to fit one of Peckett, Cole, Hofmann on our list due to list size constraints. It's the right call to delist him.

I’m not sure Hoffman makes it on.

I agree which is what I was getting at. If I was Josh I'd stay for less. If I'm the club I'm also going to try retain him at what he wants. If he goes then he's going for other reasons like his family's Hawthorn support. That seems very weird to me as a 26 year old but everyone has different circumstances. He's spent a lot of years with us and the past couple of years show a path. I reckon from an employment view I'd stay in an organisation that seems to be growing.

The current world with employment though has me totally f*cked with what people want so I'm not one to listen to.
I wonder though what the club REALLY wants. I doubt we’ll ever know.
But the opportunity to get 2 picks in the top 10 is not something that comes around often at all, and especially being a good draft for mids which is exactly what we need.

I’d imagine the more pragmatic members of our list management team may be quietly rubbing their hands in glee at this opportunity presenting itself.

I wonder though what the club REALLY wants. I doubt we’ll ever know.
But the opportunity to get 2 picks in the top 10 is not something that comes around often at all, and especially being a good draft for mids which is exactly what we need.

I’d imagine the more pragmatic members of our list management team may be quietly rubbing their hands in glee at this opportunity presenting itself.
I don’t think anyone at the club wants to lose Josh, however many will be resigned to the fact he’s leaving and buoyant at the potential compensation that comes with it.

I don’t think anyone at the club wants to lose Josh, however many will be resigned to the fact he’s leaving and buoyant at the potential compensation that comes with it.
No one wants to lose players who have come up through the draft and are an integral part of the team and club. However, they did have a chance to increase their offer, but appears they decided to stick to their guns on what they decided was a fair offer. If they were desperate to keep him, they may have done so.

All I’m saying is that while sad to see him go, they probably don’t have the angst that most of us do, because they are looking at the overall picture through a more professional, less emotional lens than we are and can see the obvious future benefits of him leaving.

It’s a shame Lobb came good down back for the doggies, midway through the year you could have gotten him cheap when he’s in the VFL team. Now the dogs could drive a hard bargain or he may stay. Imagine we got him and he started playing like he has the last couple of months. I’d still rather we just keep Dougal.

re hayes,if we dont offer him a contract,but dont delist him,does that mean another club can just take him for nothing?

we need list spots so very happy for him to go,but would love some kind of pick for him,would it be in our interest to offer him the absolute minimum for 1 year,then if there is interest assume the other club are willing to go a little higher and maybe 2 years so he will go & then we can get something for him,or at worst get stuck with him for 1 year on the bare minimum

but a 4th,even a late 3rd could be handy for our own dumpster diving,or to use on one our f/s nga boys

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back