List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I spoke to Josh briefly at Wednesdays training there is no doubt he is leaving, but I dont think its a decision that has come easy for him. I could see the emotion on his face when I mentioned a couple of things. It is a business decision for both Josh and our club that is not ideal for either party I would think. We need to remember these kids arent robots and he leaving a club and his mates he has been with since he was 18yo wont be easy.

The club played the same game with Gresham last year, but the difference with Josh is I believe there is no way we would let him go if we had other ways to rapidly improve our list holes. Please dont blame Josh for wanting the best for his family.

He is an outstanding young man and I wish him all the best with his future, he will be missed at the Saints.
No blame for Josh leaving. A footy career is limited as we all know. He needs to do the best he can for himself.
But, hopefully he will have some say in the way the club who gave him his opportunity will be compensated.

The bolded feels important.

To be clear im not saying we will or wont get band 1 and in spite of my previous post i think this administration is more cluey than many previous ones BUT.

Given our history and the fact the AFL isnt really clear about what triggers it (theres no set criteria we can all hang our hat on) its staggering you and others are so cocksure it will happen.
There's only one way we won't get Band 1 compo for Battle and that's if he chooses to leave for less money that what we are offering.

And if he does that's on him and not the club.

That's nice

If he goes I hope his career is a complete failure and he regrets his decision to leave for the rest of his life.
Christ that's a bit nasty , so you would never leave your job for a better job or more pay

I call you full of poo

I'm sure he will regret it like Ben McEvoy does. He has a better chance of playing in a premiership at the hawks don't you think?

I still can't believe we lost Ben to the Hawks. A future captain.
I think the hawks are massively overrated at present and battle seems 1 too many when you add in Barrass. I’m also 100% that a first round pick is well over the odds and I’m confident in the path st Kilda is on. Just quietly we’ve been in pretty good form ourselves lately but we get talked down by purple and others. Anyway it’s a long way from the crazy McEvoy trade.

There's only one way we won't get Band 1 compo for Battle and that's if he chooses to leave for less money that what we are offering.

And if he does that's on him and not the club.
Yeh i dont agree but its pretty moot anyway.

The point was more that no one can definitively say what gets band 1 but Stav and co are adamant we are.

The club might have pitched what they think hes worth... and gotten it wrong, the AFL could shift the goalposts, Battle might feel a little miffed weve essentially bartered his worth against a pick.

Some would put some blame on the club, some would be out of their hands.

Christ that's a bit nasty , so you would never leave your job for a better job or more pay

I call you full of poo
Sports an emotional, tribal business so it comes with the territory. Personally I don’t worry too much about the guys not on our list but I don’t generally have any I’ll will towards the guys who leave.

We never offered Gresham a contract IIRC. Battle HAS been offered a contract.

I've always been a St Kilda supporter. I don't understand the compulsion to "I can't beat them, I'll join them". At Hawthorn he'll just be another player.
Gresham via his agent asked us not to make a formal offer because it would negatively impact his value / contract with the Injectors.

Gresham via his agent asked us not to make a formal offer because it would negatively impact his value / contract with the Injectors.
So we just do whatever agents say? If it was in our interests to offer a contract, the club would have offered him a contract. Like we actually did with Josh Battle.

Sports an emotional, tribal business so it comes with the territory. Personally I don’t worry too much about the guys not on our list but I don’t generally have any I’ll will towards the guys who leave.

I won't have ill will towards Josh personally if he leaves. But as far as footy goes.... he's been offered a contract with us.... I absolutely don't wish him success. His success could mean Hawthorn's success.... and f*ck Hawthorn. I want St Kilda to succeed.... anything that gets in the way of that can gtfo.

If he's leaving because he thinks there's a better chance of a flag at the hawks.... would anyone here actually want to see that eventuate? I wouldn't. I'd hate it. Apparently that makes me nasty and full of poo lol

Last edited:
So you cant say shit about 50% of the criteria but you are absolutely 100% positive its band one...

And im the challenged one...

I admire your confidence in the least successful professional sporting club in just about the history of sports worldwide. It’s foolish but admirable.
Because it’s not a random off the mark response.

It’s a history of things that have been mentioned that have been spot on.

In June I was talking these 800-850 figures.

So your argument is that they are the least successful professional sporting club.

My response to you is that what they are telling me has a history of being very very accurate.

so if they believe they will get a band 1 pick as far back as 3 months ago. Then I have no reason to doubt them.

So we just do whatever agents say? If it was in our interests to offer a contract, the club would have offered him a contract. Like we actually did with Josh Battle.
How is it in our interest to get less back via free agency ???

We valued him at a price, where happy for him to walk if he wanted more. The higher/longer the contract the better it was for us.

Which part of this is doing whatever his agents says ? Sometime this board makes me feel like a rocket scientist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh i dont agree but its pretty moot anyway.

The point was more that no one can definitively say what gets band 1 but Stav and co are adamant we are.

The club might have pitched what they think hes worth... and gotten it wrong, the AFL could shift the goalposts, Battle might feel a little miffed weve essentially bartered his worth against a pick.

Some would put some blame on the club, some would be out of their hands.
Nah can't agree - I'm absolutely certain that Bassat can pick up the phone and ring Andrew Dillon and he will told exactly what Band 1 compo would involve.

No matter what anyone thinks of the AFL, the idea that clubs operate in the dark over UFA compo is tin hat deep state conspiracy theory territory.

We will know exactly whether the Hawks offer gets us Band 1 or not.

Last edited:
The threat doesnt stand up at all because hes a UFA mate. If he wants to go and hes happy to take less cash we can offer what we like.

Your "ITK" shit doesnt count for anything, its also getting really old. If i had a dollar for everytime you say "as i said" when its utterly meaningless id pay Josh to stay myself.

There are no set goalposts, what you or i think should trigger band 1 counts for SFA. We could do everything right and the AFL might still decide its not band 1, hence my comment that it makes no sense youre all so sure it WILL be band 1. By all rights and from everything weve read it seems like it SHOULD be band 1 but you cant point to a matrix and tick the boxes.
Pretty unnecessary. Bit nasty.

How is it in our interest to get less back via free agency ???

We valued him at a price, where happy for him to walk if he wanted more. The higher/longer the contract the better it was for us.

Which part of this is doing whatever his agents says ? Sometime this board makes me feel like a rocket scientist.
Why would we have agreed to the request from the agent if it were not in our best interests? There has to be some benefit for us somewhere.

I'm happy to make you feel better though.

Why would we have agreed to the request from the agent if it were not in our best interests? There has to be some benefit for us somewhere.

I'm happy to make you feel better though.
Our offer was below essendons.

By not formalising that offer. It didn’t crystallise the market for Gresh. It allowed it to be set by the clubs after him.

I won't have ill will towards Josh personally if he leaves. But as far as footy goes.... he's been offered a contract with us.... I absolutely don't wish him success. His success could mean Hawthorn's success.... and f*ck Hawthorn. I want St Kilda to succeed.... anything that gets in the way of that can gtfo.

If he's leaving because he thinks there's a better chance of a flag at the hawks.... would anywhere here actually want to see that eventuate? I wouldn't. I'd hate it. Apparently that makes me nasty and full of poo lol
Haha yeah I’m not a second team man, I hope they all get smashed by us and play like crap. I’m getting old and I’m sick of waiting for the saints magic second flag and when we do win I want a dynasty. Couldn’t help myself I’ve been needling my Carlton supporting son in law all week, by Wednesday night when they dropped in I was in full flight predicting an absolute hiding. I can’t loose if we win we’ve sunk them, if we loose we tanked for draft position.

Haha yeah I’m not a second team man, I hope they all get smashed by us and play like crap. I’m getting old and I’m sick of waiting for the saints magic second flag and when we do win I want a dynasty. Couldn’t help myself I’ve been needling my Carlton supporting son in law all week, by Wednesday night when they dropped in I was in full flight predicting an absolute hiding. I can’t loose if we win we’ve sunk them, if we loose we tanked for draft position.
I'm sick of it too mate.

My take is pretty simple

What would make him regret his decision for the rest of his life?... Them being shit and us being awesome. I make no apologies for wanting that to be the case. It doesn't make me nasty.... it makes me a Saints supporter.

I'm sick of it too mate.

My take is pretty simple

What would make him regret his decision for the rest of his life?... Them being shit and us being awesome. I make no apologies for wanting that to be the case. It doesn't make me nasty.... it makes me a Saints supporter.
That's exactly right. At the end of the day he can say he loves the club all he wants, fact is if he's leaving he's chasing easy glory at a major local rival.

We need to make him regret it. There will be no love lost once he's gone, the simple fact is if he's walking out on us he can get stuffed, let's hope we take steps forward and he bitterly regrets it one day.

It seems like Richmond will end up with as many as 6 first round picks if they let go of Baker, Bolton and Rioli. Wonder if we could snag another pick (if they have one around the 6-10 mark) and trade our future first for it?
Also If Battle is a Band 1 Compo would we entertain it for Rachele + change ? Very much on the nose at the crows...has talent to burn (kicked 30 odd goals this year and has the 2nd most goal assists for the team) might need some guidance from RTB.

Because it’s not a random off the mark response.

It’s a history of things that have been mentioned that have been spot on.

In June I was talking these 800-850 figures.

So your argument is that they are the least successful professional sporting club.

My response to you is that what they are telling me has a history of being very very accurate.

so if they believe they will get a band 1 pick as far back as 3 months ago. Then I have no reason to doubt them.
Other than the fact they cant actually know for sure, have ****ed up just about every aspect of the sport for most of their 150 years and have zero incentive to tell you if they have anyway.

Righto.

This is EXACTLY what i mean when i say the delusion is real

"Might not be band 1, cause theres a whole stack of things we cant control"

"NAH ITS BAND ONE CAUSE I KNOW PEOPLE"

To say that suggesting it might not band 1 is negative viewing is stupid, its just realism.

I hope it is and i hope weve done it right, theres a decent chance we havent and then even if we have, might not fall our way.

But dont worry guys, Stav said it in June and he knows trainers.

That's nice

If he goes I hope his career is a complete failure and he regrets his decision to leave for the rest of his life.

The club is pushing him. I hope it ****s up on them just so we learn a hard lesson. Otherwise next year it will be Marshall and Wilkie trying to get back into the draft. At some point they have to start moving forward or there won’t be anyone left who gives a shit.

The club is pushing him. I hope it ****s up on them just so we learn a hard lesson. Otherwise next year it will be Marshall and Wilkie trying to get back into the draft. At some point they have to start moving forward or there won’t be anyone left who gives a shit.
Not sure we are pushing him. We've had a big money contract in front of him all season. He just doesnt want to sign it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back