List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't drink very often chief.

Maybe I should start heavy drinking and see the world the way you and phantom do.

Maybe tell your mates at the club to start offering something other than pain and suffering. It’s been 14 years since we were a serious chance at a flag. It will be 20 if everything goes right and we are relying on the same crew to do it. Lyon ran GTs list flat. Now we are trying to go from the bottom 8 using the same technique.

Oh the AFL is very clear on what triggers it, it is what ever they feel like stretching to one way or the other, which is why they do not make their own internal guidelines public.

They have looked on the generous side for Dees, Dons and North, but for whatever reason the AFL always seems to look on the less generous side when the Saints are involved.

Poor fixturing (as in FIXed against us, only only team with consecutive really short breaks combined interstate trips this year, no special games), shocking Stadium deal that we were forced into, changing NGA the only year we would gain a Top 10 NGA player etc).

The Battle deal is in the Ballpark for Band 1. But the AFL can just an easily give to us as not.

Given our lack of Father Sons and top NGA players gained at a discount, you would think that they could be generous to at least this time.

I mean despite North self-destructing by deliberately getting rid of a bunch of older capable players so that they could tank, the AFL has thrown a raft of pick benefits at North, most of them just free hits.

It’s a priority pick in disguise.

I just can’t wait for the year to be over and get the summer off. This club is a drainer.
You are as passionate as they come, I guess that’s why you get frustrated and downright disheartened by what the club does (it seems self sabotaging sometimes).. But there’s no certainty in life, if we all try to detatch ourselves from the end result, accept what it is.. there will be ups and downs (hopefully more ups from now on) just enjoy the process, it’ll be easier to support this club.

Happy Friday all! we still have a game to win on Sunday, or lose by a point depending how you feel about the draft:)

Saints for life!!!

Last edited:

Chill people - do the maths.

The 660 primary listed AFL players were paid a total of $281M last year. Of those players, only 34 earned more than $900K which equals 5% of all players.

Band 1 compo only applies to the top 5%
and that before you start factoring in the facts that Battle is 25 yrs old, it looks like a 6 year contract - so Band 1 is a certainty.

So what are the maths for an $850K deal?

Maybe tell your mates at the club to start offering something other than pain and suffering. It’s been 14 years since we were a serious chance at a flag. It will be 20 if everything goes right and we are relying on the same crew to do it. Lyon ran GTs list flat. Now we are trying to go from the bottom 8 using the same technique.
What do you think they are trying to do here?

Other coaches or presidents might see this as an opportunity to just blow the place up and rebuild. GT said effectively this morning to me on Twitter that he would trade King Steele and Sinclair.

They are giving you an enjoyable product most weeks and building on the fly.

I'm sick of it too mate.

My take is pretty simple

What would make him regret his decision for the rest of his life?... Them being shit and us being awesome. I make no apologies for wanting that to be the case. It doesn't make me nasty.... it makes me a Saints supporter.
Lot of Lions supporters probably supported this idea when Bucks left…and had the last laugh.
Now, I’m not mean spirited, and I don’t wish anything bad for Josh career -wise. But jeez wouldn’t that scenario ( or even just one) be great 😊

So what are the maths for an $850K deal?
Why do that?

His offer from us will be at least $900K or more x 6 years which will ensure we get Band 1 compo if Hawthorn match and he chooses to leave.

North got Band 1 for MacKay last year which was 6 x $850K.

Given the TPP has increased by $1.5M this year (and by $4M extra in total by 2027) we can easily offer more than that so I'm completely confident its Band 1 as long as he doesn't leave for less money than we offer.

Why do that?

His offer from us will be at least $900K or more x 6 years which will ensure we get Band 1 compo if Hawthorn match and he chooses to leave.

Given the TPP has increased by $1.5M this year (and by $4M extra in total by 2027) we can easily offer more than that so I'm completely confident its Band 1 as long as he doesn't leave for less money than we offer.
Except that we dont know the offer, nor do we know if the AFL has tweaked the "formula" to account for the TPP change, nor do we know if Josh has accepted a lower offer from the hawks.

Everyone is making assumptions about all of this (including me).

I just cant believe that people are so absolutely adamant that its gonna happen when there so many unknown variables.

We never offered Gresham a contract IIRC. Battle HAS been offered a contract.

I've always been a St Kilda supporter. I don't understand the compulsion to "I can't beat them, I'll join them". At Hawthorn he'll just be another player.

Gresham via his agent asked us not to make a formal offer because it would negatively impact his value / contract with the Injectors.

So we just do whatever agents say? If it was in our interests to offer a contract, the club would have offered him a contract. Like we actually did with Josh Battle.

No part of my message implied we kowtowed to Battles agent

How is it in our interest to get less back via free agency ???

We valued him at a price, where happy for him to walk if he wanted more. The higher/longer the contract the better it was for us.

Which part of this is doing whatever his agents says ? Sometime this board makes me feel like a rocket scientist.

Everything here explicitly suggests we followed the request because it was mutually beneficial.

Why would we have agreed to the request from the agent if it were not in our best interests? There has to be some benefit for us somewhere.

I'm happy to make you feel better though.

At this point I realized you struggled with reading and comprehension, real 1+1 one stuff.

You're welcome friend pal, anytime ! Feel free to go through and correct punctuation, you could use a win buddy :)

Yeah probably a dumb comment by me. But I'd still want to clap him off, he's served the club. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Is it weird that I'm not hurt by this? Can't say that I've felt this way before... It's not like Cripps being a crybaby going back to WA.

I don't want him to go, a very solid player in his prime and not a bad word to be said about him. They don't grow on trees. Not sure why I'm chilled about it.

Bob Marley Dont Worry GIF
Mate , you're all over the show with that comment , have a stiff drink and relax

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is pushing him. I hope it ****s up on them just so we learn a hard lesson. Otherwise next year it will be Marshall and Wilkie trying to get back into the draft. At some point they have to start moving forward or there won’t be anyone left who gives a shit.
How on earth do you know that?
It’s been said time and again that he and family are mad Hawks supporters and he loves Sam Mitchell. I’m pretty sure the club did not approach Hawthorn about him.

Once approached, they probably did see the benefits of him leaving but STILL appear to have offered him a very good contract.

Last edited:
Why do that?

McKay similar age I think, but the AFL has either increased the weight of the term on the contract or it’s a new criteria (I forget!). Hooefully the term will be enough to bump us over.

McKay similar age I think, but the AFL has either increased the weight of the term on the contract or it’s a new criteria (I forget!). Hooefully the term will be enough to bump us over.
Contract is a new criteria and it’s capped at a maximum of 5 years.

How on earth do you know that?
It’s been said time and again that he and family are mad Hawks supporters and he loves Sam Mitchell. I’m pretty sure the club did not approach Hawthorn about him.

Once approached, they probably did see the benefits of him leaving but STILL appears to have offered him a very good contract.
I think this is a bit of an interpretation thing.

Your second sentence is what i think is correct but you could also see that as pushing him out.

If you start to think of a player as a commodity and then look at what he can net you opposed to what he brings that can feel like a push.

I wouldnt go as far as "pushing him out" but i can also see how a player might feel like the club is valuing the pick more than them.

Something like 25 out of contract at once too.
It was 20.
And by all accounts Webster, Sharman and probably others have also signed, just not announced.
Maybe it’s not a bad thing that we are taking our time and giving ourselves the space to assess the list. Doubt that there’d be anyone unsigned that we would be desperate to keep and that could be poached.

Linton Street Saint

So if we had made Gresham a formal offer, Essendon would have reduced their offer? Or are we just being bullied by Dodoro through a third party? Can you just explain it to me without the derision your under 200 posts hasn't earned you yet around here?
Greshams agent knew what we were offering (verbally).

He asked that we didn’t formalise an offer - as it would have set a market price. I.e we thought he was worth 550. So the offers would be slightly higher than that.

He asked to present the club offers as he believed there was better deals out there and as he was a RFA the club could match or force clubs chasing Gresham to increase their offer if they wanted him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back