List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Since our one and only premiership almost 60 years ago, we have had great full forwards, midfielders, rucks, defenders etc. Premierships are won by great team efforts and smart coaching on the day- but the poor old Saints never seem to get the formula right.
Because missing goals and the weird bounce of a ball was due to the formula....

As long as it works for us.
Either he stays OR we definitely get Band 1.

BUT - there's the issue and that is why I have said you have to be careful what you wish for.
7 years is a long contract. If the club truly wants Josh to stay, all well and good. But if they really want the compo draft pick and have offered him that deal just to ensure Band 1, they are playing with fire because he could choose to stay.
It's not really playing with fire. The yearly rate is reasonable with the cap going up and they can dump some of the war chest into it instead of that mooted 7 year deal for King.
Had they offered 5M over 5 years it would be different.

Yep, my concern is if he chooses us we be so flattered we will bend over backwards to make it happen.

Absolutely can't use any if this years first round picks on anthing but midfielders.

If Port would accept next years first rounder + change we would have to consider it. Sincs and Houston on the half back line with NAS moving to a wing.

Nobody has complained more about our ball use then me the last decade, but a side that has Sincs, NAS, Houston and Schoenmaker (provided he can crack the side) looks very dangerous on paper.
I feel like we’ve been here before with the ‘sick of losing’ mentality, so let’s load up on Hanners, Hill, Dougs, Jones type set up. We finally have recruiters that can actually hit an elephant from 5 paces so I want to be all over this draft.

As long as it works for us.
Either he stays OR we definitely get Band 1.

Only if Hawthorn is prepared to increase their offer to Battle into band 1 territory.

It’s hard to believe that Hawks wouldn’t do this after all the work they have spent convincing Battle (and others) that his future is there.

But in recent days Hawks have convinced Barrass to request a trade to go there (on big coin) so they may be initially reluctant. And if they are reluctant does this change Battle’s approach? He’s probably at a point where he wants both certainty and finality.

This whole “will he or won’t he” saga may still have more to play out.

If Battle decides to stay I wonder if we might look at Parfitt as an UFA. On the fringe at the Cats the last few years, still only 26.
I've always liked him but he's really fallen away right when he should have been stepping up.

Selwood retired, Duncan and Guthrie playing a lot less. What went wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't the reason he wants out is because he's been pushed down the pecking order? We have one of the best and most durable ruckman in the comp, so I don't see him wanting to come sit behind Marshall

I think with a player like Marshall you could afford to play Soldo (a la Ryder). Marshall can play forward and pinch hit i the ruck, Soldo becomes the tap man. If he was available I'd grab him. Despite Marshall's around the ground value he is not a great ruckman. But would be a nightmare for opposition roaming the forward line and taking to forward contests.

I think with a player like Marshall you could afford to play Soldo (a la Ryder). Marshall can play forward and pinch hit i the ruck, Soldo becomes the tap man. If he was available I'd grab him. Despite Marshall's around the ground value he is not a great ruckman. But would be a nightmare for opposition roaming the forward line and taking to forward contests.

We'd lose the clearances and contested possessions, and if we don't have Crouch, it means we aren't so hot at those things.

I feel like we’ve been here before with the ‘sick of losing’ mentality, so let’s load up on Hanners, Hill, Dougs, Jones type set up. We finally have recruiters that can actually hit an elephant from 5 paces so I want to be all over this draft.

Agree. We have to go to the draft this year and we may just have 2 top 10s which SHOULD get us two 10 year mids looking at the talent likely to be in that top 10.

All the other talk is just sh#t and giggles.

Apparently we're the only club who miss goals and who suffer from the ball not bouncing perfectly. We're pretty good at excuses though.
No, you mentioned formula.

to quote "but the poor old Saints never seem to get the formula right."

I fail to see how those incidents had anything to do with a formula.
Often luck/bad luck plays a part. And that's not an excuse. It just is.

Apparently we're the only club who miss goals and who suffer from the ball not bouncing perfectly. We're pretty good at excuses though.
Bad kicking at goal cost the Cats in 08
Us in 09
and meant the Pies had to play a 2nd GF in '10.

Not to mention Freo in '13 too.

Soldo's missus is unhappy in Adelaide (who wouldn't be?), they want to come back to Melb.

I don't mind Soldo, but i think he's too close in age to Marshall.
We'd probably end up needing to replace them both at the same time.
He's also too good to "not play" so if it didn't work out with both of them playing we'd end up like Freo.

Are you implying that from our 2024 season rank of 17th in clearances we would drop to 18th in 2025? Could be worth the risk, see if there was any upside?

10th in clearance differential ... we play a low stoppage style. Having said that, all of our deficiency is at centre stoppage. We actually beat our opponents this year at non-centre clearances.

I don't mind Soldo, but i think he's too close in age to Marshall.
We'd probably end up needing to replace them both at the same time.
He's also too good to "not play" so if it didn't work out with both of them playing we'd end up like Freo.

The only issue with Soldo would be dealing with Port, I think he and Rowan could work together. Port paid top currency for his trade last year and they would want to be well compensated if he were to leave. I think RTB showed his hand when he tried Campbell for a couple of games this season, he wants to play Marshall forward as much as he can.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back