Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Hated Norf as a kid.

Just as I was gettin old enough to go to the footy, St Kilda's Jeans were coming off. Their flags in '75 and '77 had that Manchetser City big money vibe, as we started rattling cans. But by the '90s, in the atmosphere of that brutal rationalism, not only in footy, but in society in general, I came to like Fitzroy and North a little. (Of course it hurt badly to lose to them) So when North offered to merge with Fitzroy, appalled as I were, I thought it was the lesser of two evils. North Fitzroy is a real place, and both places have a real organic, long ripened culture. The jumper would look good too, burgandy, white and blue stripes work.

But no.

The AFL and its cronies didn't want it.

North were lucky to be alive by '99 when they won the second of their flags that decade. THey even lost their name North as a. sneaky way of preparing for their relocation.

Respect for Brayshaw and co. who got them to call themselves North again.

Now McQuire and his mates wanna kill 'em off again.

It makes me like them more. I can't say like as such, but you feel what I say.

Anyway, if there are any stats minded people out there, it would be interesting to compare the success of St Kilda and North since the AFL began in 1990. (nevermind the flags) the total games won etc. Does anyone know?

What i don't like is when players are tackled, ( especially by StKilda players ) the umps won't blow the whistle until they are literally thrown to the ground, even if they've already spun 720 degrees without getting rid of it.
Surely that increases the risk of accidental injury?

Should Slater and Gordon be speaking to the Umpires or the AFL?

Couldn't help thinking that Clarkson is drilling them in thuggery.
Check out 3:24 player already has the mark and cops a pretty solid wack in the kidneys.
check out the "arm work" on 3:58. ( we got the goal but it should have been from the line ).
4:17 is push in the back still a thing?
4:39 Hill copped it in the neck.
5:03 king getting his neck and face scragged. Was that a karate chop to the neck on the way down?
6:02 webster gets a head high shoulder , then the arm swings round and collects him with the elbow.

Is it Clarkson? or is it some brain dead shinboner thing?

Maybe i've got rose coloured glasses but i don't see the Saints being so dirty in the highlights.

They definitely wanted to be physical, especially towards King and Webster.

Yeah, Ima leave the quoted posts as I'm at work, this is a nice break of the monotony, that's far too much effort at present.

Just continue to flag any slightly north central "we've a station people use to quickly exit this place" that manage to pop in with wonderful thought bubbles that pop into their posterior.

What i don't like is when players are tackled, ( especially by StKilda players ) the umps won't blow the whistle until they are literally thrown to the ground, even if they've already spun 720 degrees without getting rid of it.
Surely that increases the risk of accidental injury?

Should Slater and Gordon be speaking to the Umpires or the AFL?

Couldn't help thinking that Clarkson is drilling them in thuggery.
Check out 3:24 player already has the mark and cops a pretty solid wack in the kidneys.
check out the "arm work" on 3:58. ( we got the goal but it should have been from the line ).
4:17 is push in the back still a thing?
4:39 Hill copped it in the neck.
5:03 king getting his neck and face scragged. Was that a karate chop to the neck on the way down?
6:02 webster gets a head high shoulder , then the arm swings round and collects him with the elbow.

Is it Clarkson? or is it some brain dead shinboner thing?

Maybe i've got rose coloured glasses but i don't see the Saints being so dirty in the highlights.

Agree on the tackling bit, in fact the AFL came out two years ago now and said they would call HTB quicker then proceeded to do to the absolute opposite.

I think its a very fine line, as a kid i was taught pin the arms, take them to ground (we were also taught to do it hard but thats beside the point) now you cant pin the arms and taking them to ground is risky. Keep them upright and theyll clear their arms and get the ball out (making the tackle ineffective). The umpires and the MRO need to be better with assesing where a player has contributed to the risk themselves (fending, rotating into the tackle etc) and not pay frees. Higgo was real stiff but Barass was in the derby the week before. Walters fended, turned and then flopped himself down, all things that contribute to a dangerous tackle, and Barass still managed to get him down pretty softly, still a free and suspension.

As for the video package, none of that was anything too bad. North definitely played physical (Corr especially scragged all day) but the only ones that should have been frees (Wood and King) were marks anyway. We did most of the other stuff going the other way as well, as happens in most games.

Watching the replay King got away and on a lead free to the right spot so many times but the kick inside 50 missed him by a fair bit far too often. Agree his body language and attitude seems low though but we are a much better team with him in.
Roo also used to spit the dummy when the delivery was cr*p.
Can’t really blame him for that.

Were paper thin on depth for mids too.

Henry, Dow, Crouch all out.

Higgins being out means the part timers cant go in as much either (Butler, Owens, Wilson etc).
Crouch’s eta anyone?

Agree on the tackling bit, in fact the AFL came out two years ago now and said they would call HTB quicker then proceeded to do to the absolute opposite.

I think its a very fine line, as a kid i was taught pin the arms, take them to ground (we were also taught to do it hard but thats beside the point) now you cant pin the arms and taking them to ground is risky. Keep them upright and theyll clear their arms and get the ball out (making the tackle ineffective). The umpires and the MRO need to be better with assesing where a player has contributed to the risk themselves (fending, rotating into the tackle etc) and not pay frees. Higgo was real stiff but Barass was in the derby the week before. Walters fended, turned and then flopped himself down, all things that contribute to a dangerous tackle, and Barass still managed to get him down pretty softly, still a free and suspension.

As for the video package, none of that was anything too bad. North definitely played physical (Corr especially scragged all day) but the only ones that should have been frees (Wood and King) were marks anyway. We did most of the other stuff going the other way as well, as happens in most games.

Yeah not too hard, but what i see is deliberate targeting of the head.

I really detest the thing where a defender punches a forward in the head while taking a mark. (oops i missed the ball ).
They've recently found that some forwards get concussion symptoms without have a tackle or incident. Well duh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best part of the game was when their fans got sick of boo'ing JWebb, so they decided to boo their captain beta simpboy... 'wE wAnT hIm To StAnD dOwN aS cApTaIn'

250 first round priority picks and they're still irrelevant
Hope Jimmy does LDUs jumper presentation round 1 next year

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has Windhager or even Dow when he's in? taken Crouch's spot. Only one I see Crouch replacing is Ross, but with his experience, would be battle toughened for finals?
We’ve really missed Crouch.
When he’s ready, he’s got to be in.

Hated Norf as a kid.

Just as I was gettin old enough to go to the footy, St Kilda's Jeans were coming off. Their flags in '75 and '77 had that Manchetser City big money vibe, as we started rattling cans. But by the '90s, in the atmosphere of that brutal rationalism, not only in footy, but in society in general, I came to like Fitzroy and North a little. (Of course it hurt badly to lose to them) So when North offered to merge with Fitzroy, appalled as I were, I thought it was the lesser of two evils. North Fitzroy is a real place, and both places have a real organic, long ripened culture. The jumper would look good too, burgandy, white and blue stripes work.

But no.

The AFL and its cronies didn't want it.

North were lucky to be alive by '99 when they won the second of their flags that decade. THey even lost their name North as a. sneaky way of preparing for their relocation.

Respect for Brayshaw and co. who got them to call themselves North again.

Now McQuire and his mates wanna kill 'em off again.

It makes me like them more. I can't say like as such, but you feel what I say.

Anyway, if there are any stats minded people out there, it would be interesting to compare the success of St Kilda and North since the AFL began in 1990. (nevermind the flags) the total games won etc. Does anyone know?
Seems pointless to discuss success comparatively but ignore flags, which are really the only definition of on field success.

Has Windhager or even Dow when he's in? taken Crouch's spot. Only one I see Crouch replacing is Ross, but with his experience, would be battle toughened for finals?
Windhager has locked himself into a midfield spot, when Crouch comes back Ross will probably move into a more outside role or Sinclair will go back to HB.

250 first round priority picks and they're still irrelevant

So weird when Saints supporters have a go at North (or the Bulldogs or Gold Coast or Freo or whoever) for being irrelevant. We're as irrelevant as any club. Be careful if you find yourself siding with the big club agenda of hating North Melbourne, because if something was to happen to them then no doubt we'd be next up against the wall.

So weird when Saints supporters have a go at North (or the Bulldogs or Gold Coast or Freo or whoever) for being irrelevant. We're as irrelevant as any club. Be careful if you find yourself siding with the big club agenda of hating North Melbourne, because if something was to happen to them then no doubt we'd be next up against the wall.
alright, thanks

Seems pointless to discuss success comparatively but ignore flags, which are really the only definition of on field success.
Fair call
But we are talking about fans week to week and how much they have to cheer about, sing the song etc. it would seem to me, that between 1990 and 2024, North and St Kilda may have won a similar amount if home and away games. Curious to know if it is so

Fair comment, but when our forum is intruded by an opponent troll, then the time for high minded debate has passed, and done so an the insistence of them and not us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back