List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, players like Marshall, Sinclair and Wilkie will be like Stuv, Armo etc and play out a whole career with no vision for a flag in their time. We move so slowly that clubs like Collingwood and Dogs have won flags rebuilt and challenged again in the time that we still haven’t finished the one started in 2011. Stavro seems to think we aren’t going to challenge until our under 21s are older players.

If I was a manager I would not be sending players to us. We have low ambition.
You keep saying what we should not do.

What is your solution to get good players in?
FA? How has that gone for us?
Trade, very ordinary since 2019. Only Henry since then has been very good.
So we go to the draft. Have gone well since 2021.
Let me know your solution other than believing more.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Port have had one top ten pick in the last decade and have arguably the best midfield in the comp. No silverware, but top 4 finishes four out of the past five seasons, and will be thereabouts again. Cotton Ons have had 2 (Clark and Cockatoo). Top 10 picks aren't the be all end all. We think we need more because Dow and Clark aren't up to it. Spot the fallacy.

Hawks "hit the draft" but have risen up the ladder despite their top 10 picks, not because of them. DGB, Ward, Mackenzie, Watson... you'd think only Watson and probably Mackenzie will make it at this point. Meanwhile Weddle could be the best player in the comp in a few years.

Probably irrational but I would've struggled to come to terms with trading Battle for pick 8 straight up. Bird in the hand and all that. Trading for an established midfielder would be a completely different story.

I will agree the current system is no good. Clubs should be penalised for queue jumping & using their privileged access to players, rather than rewarded with some contrived points discount. I'm okay with giving Brisbane access to Ashcroft but it should completely cripple their draft hand (this year and/or next) & not be a straightforward decision for them to match. It should be in GC's interests to use their actual pick on Lombard rather than pay a substantial price if they wish to overlook him and match a bid later on. Removing the discount and de-valuing later picks will go a long way towards solving this.

Sorry your statement re Port's list make up is quite incorrect -

Ollie Wines pick #4
Connor Rozee pick #6
Zak Butters pick #12
Horne-Francis pick #1
Josh Sinn pick #12
Myles Bergman pick #14
Mitch Georgiadis pick #18

Todd Marshall pick #16
Ryan Burton pick #19
Sam Pepper-Powel pick #18
Travis Boak pick #6 2006 draft

Half their list are previous top 20 picks and 4 are top 10, do yourself a favour and research your statements before posting them!

Ollie Wines pick #4
Connor Rozee pick #6
Zak Butters pick #12
Horne-Francis pick #1
Josh Sinn pick #12
Myles Bergman pick #14

Todd Marshall pick #16
Ryan Burton pick #19

Half their list are previous top 20 picks and 4 are top 10, do yourself a favour and research your statements before posting them!
They had a nga boy who went first round as well.

If it turns into a gun mid then yes

Might not be next year .... but our current youth group is as good as any and we are methodically adding to that squad which could take us to the glory land

Pou
Nasiah
King
Sharman
Windhager
Henry
Caminiti
Owens
Clark
Wilson
Garcia
Hastie
Schoonerskuller
Pick 7
Pick 8
Pick mid 20s
So what's the difference between grabbing that player in 2025 vs 2024? And retaining what we have?

Ollie Wines pick #4
Connor Rozee pick #6
Zak Butters pick #12
Horne-Francis pick #1
Josh Sinn pick #12
Myles Bergman pick #14

Todd Marshall pick #16
Ryan Burton pick #19

I said one top 10 pick in the last decade (Rozee). Wines was 2013, Boak was 2006, Horne-Francis was traded in. The rest are later first-rounders which is kind of my point that we don't specifically need to be chasing top 10 picks.

Gold Coast have had 15 top 10 picks in that time period and never finished above 12th on the ladder.

Last edited:
If it turns into a gun mid then yes

Might not be next year .... but our current youth group is as good as any and we are methodically adding to that squad which could take us to the glory land

Pou
Nasiah
King
Sharman
Windhager
Henry
Caminiti
Owens
Clark
Wilson
Garcia
Hastie
Schoonerskuller
Pick 7
Pick 8
Pick mid 20s

That’s the thing, we have drafted well and have another high pick. It didn’t need to lose Battle to happen. If you look at us compared to Carlton who have an elite midfield. We have Phillipou who hopefully turns into an elite Cripps level tall mid. Walsh is more outside so perhaps Wilson. Cerra -Steele, Jones- Kennedy etc. Newman- Dow or Windy. On the outside they have players like Acres, Hollands etc. We have Wood, Hill, Nas etc.

We need our mids to come on to a high level but there are plenty of the already listed. There are only so many one position mids you can play in one side.

Ollie Wines pick #4
Connor Rozee pick #6
Zak Butters pick #12
Horne-Francis pick #1
Josh Sinn pick #12
Myles Bergman pick #14

Todd Marshall pick #16
Ryan Burton pick #19

Haha settle down, re-read the original post and edit your response. Rozee is the only one that fits the original criteria. JHF if you wanna stretch it to include trade.

Argument is top 10 picks aren’t a sole panacea to development and success and Port are a fair example of that.

I said one top 10 pick in the last decade (Rozee). Wines was 2013, Boak was 2006, Horne-Francis was traded in. The rest are later first-rounders which is kind of my point that we don't specifically need to be chasing top 10 picks.

Gold Coast have had 15 top 10 picks in that time period and never finished above 12th on the ladder.
I’m right with you here mate. Draft order is but one very minor cog in the entire machine and barely an indicator of future performance aside from bulletproof JHF/Reid pick 1 types. The rest is a flat out lottery

You draft deliberately and well. The last few years are how it’s done. You wanted to top up when we were bottoming out now you want perpetual rebuilding via draft.

It might work out but we are gambling instead of building up a list to compete now. I’ve suggested how we should do it for years. Not my problem if you can’t read.

When did we top up? You always use that but it was a deliberate move to cover the holes in our list ages.
4 of the 5 are still playing in our seniors, arguably with Jones Howard and Hill playing their best football since at the club and Butler just getting a new contract and is integral to the forward defence. That argument has been prosecuted and the results are for all to see regarding those players

Next year we got Higgins who is our top goal kicker for the year.

And anyway regardless of you making this a personal attack, I asked you not what we should do but HOW we do it.
I am genuinely interested in what your solution is to get high quality young players into the list when we can't attract elite FA's and up to 8 clubs get advantages over us with NGA's and FS while keeping their firsts rounders and we don't have a pet in the AFL like North.
That is the question. How do we get these players in. Not how we don't do it.

You say the solution is to draft deliberately well. Top ten picks make it easier to draft well.
Last three firsts
Naz
Pou
Wilson.
All look terrific, none inside the top ten.

It is simply not a strategy to just say ' do good', you need to have the assets to do that.
Our strategy is hit thr draft for 5 years, have done so for three years. Two to go. Logically you want the best draft hand possible.
How to do that?

I get wanting to pick up some cheapies for depth for some lines but I don’t want another Bonner situation. We need to start using our young guys with potential instead of filling gaps with tried and true list cloggers. I hope we target guys who are young and stuck behind players at their club and not 30 year old gops

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get wanting to pick up some cheapies for depth for some lines but I don’t want another Bonner situation. We need to start using our young guys with potential instead of filling gaps with tried and true list cloggers. I hope we target guys who are young and stuck behind players at their club and not 30 year old gops
Recruiting GOP reminds me off our richo days

These 3 year contracts for guys over 30 in Wood and Hill are a change in direction. Feels like we've been 1 year only for quite a while. Wonder if there's some reason to it, like front-loading the contracts in the hope of targeting FA's in the next couple of years. Both have been guns for us for the last few years, happy for them.

These 3 year contracts for guys over 30 in Wood and Hill are a change in direction. Feels like we've been 1 year only for quite a while. Wonder if there's some reason to it, like front-loading the contracts in the hope of targeting FA's in the next couple of years. Both have been guns for us for the last few years, happy for them.

Yeah with Wood I suspect his initial deal would have been modest, plus we clearly have some cap space to play with so it's very deserving imo.

Both are still elite runners and the club would have all the performance stats that matter.
Hill is a Burgoyne type and Wood is like a 26 y.o because he was injured so much. Fit as anyone at the club and is a magnificent mentor by all accounts.
Does anyone know Sharman's status? Surely we lock him away?

Both are still elite runners and the club would have all the performance stats that matter.
Hill is a Burgoyne type and Wood is like a 26 y.o because he was injured so much. Fit as anyone at the club and is a magnificent mentor by all accounts.
Does anyone know Sharman's status? Surely we lock him away?

Last mention was that Sharman will sign multi year deal. I’m guessing 9 years

If anyone mentions trying to get Jake Kelly out of retirement we should just shut the site down

A spud like Stephenson is eating a big bite for little return.
The kids will soon be having their hand out.

Norf are a mindless rabble with a racist/homophobic coach, who destroyed their list then got their pet at AFL to give them free picks that nobody else gets.
Hope they are on the bottom for all eternity.

Yes, but what do you really think? Don't hold back.

Coaching is pretty good. We haven’t moved forward under Lyon yet. It might end up going either way but the end of season coaching was very solid.
Disagree actually.
Improvement isn’t always linear.
Season injury to Crouch and many other important first 22 players means finals were always going to be a reach.

Let’s look at the positives:
Once we got players back the game plan clearly clicked.
See W/L since the bye.
Beat 4 top 8 teams. And last year’s premier.
Lost many games very narrowly, well documented.
The green shoots developing - playing Wilson, Garcia, Arie and Hastie
(granted, the latter few just a few games)
Improvement from Pou, Windy, Nas, Sharman and Caminiti. I’d even go so far as to say Jones and Howard have been coached to play differently and have improved.

The list/ game plan is in a better place now than the same time last year.
I’d say that’s moving forward.

Last edited:
So what's the difference between grabbing that player in 2025 vs 2024? And retaining what we have?
Because you go now with the draft class that appears to be very good, and while we are still guaranteed a good pick/picks.
Who says we don’t rise up the ladder next year?
Why wait?

just a thought, I know it's a bit of a long shot but doesn't anyone else think maybe we should consider trying to coax jake kelly out of retirement for one last go around? just brainstorming hehe

Hill and wood are fantastic with the young kids. Nas would be here if it wasn’t for wood and Henry would never of come. They are doing a lot for us off field culturally.

If anyone mentions trying to get Jake Kelly out of retirement we should just shut the site down

What about Marlion Pickett to go in the ruck?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back