List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

We measure success on finals. He's pretty much mirrored Ratts so far. He's played plenty of youth but also has had much better youth to work with. I rate Lyon but he has to move us forward quickly or we are better off starting to phase into someone younger before the older crew start to fall over.

Try to win some finals and hit the competition with the kind of energy that some of the younger up and going coaches have. We don't want the Rodney Eade Bulldogs. We want to start climbing up the ladder and challenging.

Not sure the game plan is definitively better than last year, again mirrors this year. Played some good footy that won us games, had long flat spots that destroyed momentum etc. He gets an injury let off of but he doesn't get it forever.

At the end of the day we can't just accept the long slow rebuild chipping off players to buy him time. He's an employee that has to meet expected targets or piss off. I hope he wins us a flag but if he's not pushing us towards one quickly he's not the right guy.
He's had two seasons. Two. To pretty much re-build a list.
Both seasons impacted significantly by injuries to important players.

Some might say he's over-achieved with the list we've had and who we've had available.
No one outside the club rates our list - but you're expecting Lyon to get us to finals yesterday.
Agree, he's had better youth - but most of these have been playing for less than 3 years. So, in other words he got them raw.

We're all impatient, I get it. But it is a work in progress - which IS making progress, most of us can see it - and the reason Ross was given 4 years.

We have to stop with this sack the coach every two years mentality. We gave Richo SIX years FFS. And they are chalk and cheese as coaches.

If we are rising up the ladder then the list isn't that bad.
Agree. It's not. Doesn't mean we haven't got gaps to fill.
We've been talking about our midfield for years.
The whole footy world talks about how bad it is.
Now we have the perfect opportunity to fix it - 2 high picks in a midfielder's draft. If we don't take the opportunity given us now, then we deserve to have a mediocre team.

It's disappointing that Battle has chosen to defect to the Hawks but not unexpected given all the noise about him leaving us.

It won't be so disappointing if we can get a first round pick for him as compensation but knowing our luck we probably won't.

Regardless of what pick we get for him Battle isn't irreplaceable, he's a good solid defender but he's no superstar and with RTB's elite defensive system we should be able to find someone to play his role to a similar standard.

He will certainly improve the Hawks defence though along with Barrass and the pricks will probably win another flag before us.
I’m not certain Battle will even be a starting 18 defender at Hawthorn. A bench warming utility? Sub?

Some might say he's over-achieved with the list we've had and who we've had available.
No one outside the club rates our list - but you're expecting Lyon to get us to finals yesterday.
Agree, he's had better youth - but most of these have been playing for less than 3 years. So, in other words he got them raw.

We're all impatient, I get it. But it is a work in progress - which IS making progress, most of us can see it - and the reason Ross was given 4 years.

We have to stop with this sack the coach every two years mentality. We gave Richo SIX years FFS. And they are chalk and cheese as coaches.
"re-buiild" a list. I keep seeing this but we havent re built and the strategy seems to be at most a refresh not a rebuild.

We havent bottomed out, were not seeking to trade much (or anything depending what you think about the Battle saga) and the 23 between Round 24 and finals week 1 last year really isnt much different.

gringo2011 hasnt said sack Ross, hes simply said we need to see improvement otherwise questions will be asked.

Now were all buoyed by the form we showed at the end of the year and we all know improvement is not linear but this argument has come up again and again and again.

We need to be improving next year and really given we played finals in 23, making (and winning) a final really should be the floor. If were not doing that then question should (and im sure will be asked).

That you and others have patience and wanna let Ross take as long as he like is pretty immaterial.

I want it as much as you do but until every club has exactly the same number of supporters with exactly the same financial capacity, we're not going to have a level playing field.
Equal opportunity not Equal outcomes is all I’m after.

A draft without any compromises, no manipulation of the salary cap, anti tampering laws that are actually enforced, equitable access to marquee games.

With a salary cap and draft if we had the above then the rest is 100% on the clubs as it should be imo.

whats happened to the new thread that dealt with the actual goings on,re delistings trade requests etc?

i had given these other personal opinion threads away to stick with the facts,now its gone

Here it is:

so well said

These 3 year contracts for guys over 30 in Wood and Hill are a change in direction. Feels like we've been 1 year only for quite a while. Wonder if there's some reason to it, like front-loading the contracts in the hope of targeting FA's in the next couple of years. Both have been guns for us for the last few years, happy for them.
I've said it before, but I think a key to success is having good players play into their mid 30s. Most premiership teams have that, so I'm stoked to see them backing Wood and Hill in like this. We need Marshall, Sincs, Steele and Wilkie in particular to also play into their mid 30s, which will give our younger players the chance to get closer to their peak. That's how we'll contend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Suns have been told they will lose their 5 additional rookie concessions positions, meaning they will have to cut from 9 on the rookie list to 4 losing 5 spots. Considering they will be bringing in Rioli and Noble this year they are going to have a significant list squeeze issues, hopefully we are sniffing around - James Tsitas or Sam Clohesy would be good midfield depth.

Carroll and Martin may look to request trades out of Carlton

SEN WA’s Peter Vlahos believes Carroll will be looking for a move back home to Western Australia in particular.

Will SOS be after them?

The Suns have been told they will lose their 5 additional rookie concessions positions, meaning they will have to cut from 9 on the rookie list to 4 losing 5 spots. Considering they will be bringing in Rioli and Noble this year they are going to have a significant list squeeze issues, hopefully we are sniffing around - James Tsitas or Sam Clohesy would be good midfield depth.

"Set for review at the end of its 2024 season, Gold Coast had initially hoped the rookie list concessions would be phased out over a few years. But the club was officially told by the AFL last week that all five of its additional Category A spots would be stripped back before next year."

Wowzers, could absolutely throw a spanner in the works for GC list management, surely they would have gotten unofficially worded up earlier though..?

Clohesy played 20 games this year looking at his stats, doubt they'd want to get rid of him. Tsitas is gonna be 30 next year and has only cracked a game a few times since getting drafted, looks like proper depth.

I'm more interested in the Lukosius situation, if he's getting squeezed out in order to keep the likes of Humphrey, Walter, Andrew and Uwland on decent contracts as best 22's going forward, would happily offer a late pick if it meant picking up a decent sized contract. Has shown a bit as a forward and a back, get the feeling he'd be an above average player no matter where he gets thrown.

"Set for review at the end of its 2024 season, Gold Coast had initially hoped the rookie list concessions would be phased out over a few years. But the club was officially told by the AFL last week that all five of its additional Category A spots would be stripped back before next year."

Wowzers, could absolutely throw a spanner in the works for GC list management, surely they would have gotten unofficially worded up earlier though..?

Clohesy played 20 games this year looking at his stats, doubt they'd want to get rid of him. Tsitas is gonna be 30 next year and has only cracked a game a few times since getting drafted, looks like proper depth.

I'm more interested in the Lukosius situation, if he's getting squeezed out in order to keep the likes of Humphrey, Walter, Andrew and Uwland on decent contracts as best 22's going forward, would happily offer a late pick if it meant picking up a decent sized contract. Has shown a bit as a forward and a back, get the feeling he'd be an above average player no matter where he gets thrown.

Could Lukosius play the Battle role? Probably only for a late pick though with us taking most-to-all of his salary.

I've said it before, but I think a key to success is having good players play into their mid 30s. Most premiership teams have that, so I'm stoked to see them backing Wood and Hill in like this. We need Marshall, Sincs, Steele and Wilkie in particular to also play into their mid 30s, which will give our younger players the chance to get closer to their peak. That's how we'll contend.
This is an interesting take I haven’t really considered before, but I like it. Like it a lot.

Could Lukosius play the Battle role? Probably only for a late pick though with us taking most-to-all of his salary.
Would be high irony us taking Lukosius.

He was the player with Ben King the AFL bribed with 150k over 4 years in 'Ambassador' money given outside the GC salary cap.
It did us a favour as we had a huge hard on for Ben King and we couldn't take him.

So the AFL and its corruption worked in pur favour re King and now maybe we get their other 'Ambassador' for a small trade and his contract which will be 150k less because that is factored into his contract.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Equal opportunity not Equal outcomes is all I’m after.

A draft without any compromises, no manipulation of the salary cap, anti tampering laws that are actually enforced, equitable access to marquee games.

With a salary cap and draft if we had the above then the rest is 100% on the clubs as it should be imo.

First three I agree with, not sure it works for marquee games - if we played against North on Anzac Day I highly doubt there would be even 40k there let alone a full stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back