List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he plays both roles, and very well.

Spent a lot of time at swans games this year and he still plays a lot as a lead up forward (think about the two goals he kicked in a minute vs is on Webster when Webster when off with a blood nose, for instance).

Where do you get CBA stats from? I was thinking about that.

Take your point though, he is more than a mere forward!
https://dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/
This has all the CBA data

I just wouldn’t get involved in Geelong deals fullstop, they have shown to be unreasonable like how they haggled with Port over two late draft picks. Sure they turned out to be great picks and they had a plan.

Lets get involved in Gold Coast deals there are stronger list management teams in the AFL and weaker ones (we used to be one of them) we have to be sharks.
Our problem is lack of capital. Those couple of 3rd round picks last year went a long way.

2023 - 357 disposals 30 goals
2024 - 564 disposals 31 goals

Agree that in 2023 he played more forward but this year he has played mid ... 564 disposals .... every footy pundit agrees ... they have been saying it all year that he has transitioned to a mid

It's why I only included this year for him when I listed those goal kicking mids

He definitely plays more midfield but drifts forward as a target still. He’s very similar to Parker in that he plays both and can rest forward as a genuine threat.

Is there gonna be any trades to get excited about this year?

I'm a new Saints fan and don't really know how it all works.
Doesn't really seem like it this year, as has been mentioned above we probably won't be looking at free agents so as not to dilute the Battle compo. Apparently we have some huge offers up for some of next year's free agents, LDU and Brayshaw are two we're keen on.

Doesn't really seem like it this year, as has been mentioned above we probably won't be looking at free agents so as not to dilute the Battle compo. Apparently we have some huge offers up for some of next year's free agents, LDU and Brayshaw are two we're keen on.
Ahh. Yeah saw that scrolling through this thread. I've never seen those two play. Didn't catch any Fremantle or North Melbourne games this season.

They’ve drafted well and had a bit of luck, Ginnivan fell into their lap but it was brave call on Watson so early. They clearly had a plan to go small up forward and it’s worked so far.
1) Drafted well > we are 5/10 there
2) Ginnivan falls from the sky > no such luck, Liam Henry had a few nice games tho
3) Go Small up Forward? > mnnn??? Could we imagine a forward 50 with just Cam and Coops, the rest small? I can’t, but what are the things that make it work like that. Would it be correct to claim that Collingwood and The Bulldogs have in the past, been powerful without a tall forward line? Could it work for us?

Ahh. Yeah saw that scrolling through this thread. I've never seen those two play. Didn't catch any Fremantle or North Melbourne games this season.
Both very good two way midfielders, will cost loads of money, though apparently we have a lot spare. Personally I tend to think we don't have much of a chance with LDU but there seems to be a few connections with Brayshaw. Ross, Hill, Henry, and he's a Victorian who used to play with Sandy.

They’ve drafted well and had a bit of luck, Ginnivan fell into their lap but it was brave call on Watson so early. They clearly had a plan to go small up forward and it’s worked so far.
Watson was always going to be minimum Top 10. Ginnivan was always a good player - he just needed to decide that getting the ball was better plan than always staging for free kicks.

As to the talls, There preferred forward set up at the start of the season was Lewis (199 cm), Chol (200cm) and Gunston (193). All that's happened is that Dear (196 cm) has replaced Lewis.

Our forward half stands up in comparison especially if we can run King through CHF, Caminiti deep and Sharman playing the Gunston role. Add Mitch, Higgins and Butler and that's a pretty good set up.

Just needs some real continuity.

Is there gonna be any trades to get excited about this year?

I'm a new Saints fan and don't really know how it all works.
Yes apparently Bailey Smith and DanHouston, while at the same time keeping all our drafts picks.

Magic isn't it?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Now's the time for them if there is any chance they are going to leave.

Better for the player especially if we can afford to chuck a huge offer and better for their current club because we will pay more in trade value than they will receive in compo value if the player leaves as a FA next year.

Buying a pre-agent now also doesn't dilute Battle compo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deals with all the player managers, department staff, contracts, planning and other list managers during trade season. He does plenty.

It's Gubby I'm not sure about. Liam Henry had connections to RTB. Dow to SOS.
I too would be interested in what our ROI on Gubby is.
Don't know about that, he has their second highest CBA rate at 74%, only behind Grundy. I'd say it’s more got to do with the Swans' system considering all of their mids are hitting the scoreboard big time. They love opening up the forwardline and letting their mids tee off from 50m out.
Swans are absolutely corridor-mad. Their mids can basically run straight lines up and back when they’re playing their style because the next kick is the inboard 45 and off they go. It’s fun to watch

He definitely plays more midfield but drifts forward as a target still. He’s very similar to Parker in that he plays both and can rest forward as a genuine threat.
He plays a Dusty esque role, mid for the clearance then floats forward. It also works so well because just like Richmond with Lambert, Sydney has the defensive midfielder in Rowbottom.

What has happened to the war chest the saints were to have. Nil discussion in paper etc on who they are chasing
Because no one wants to go to a team not playing finals.

Which means we will just over pay the existing players.

LDU stated publicly he wants to stay at North, although maybe another year down the bottom of the ladder and a massive contract offer from us could change that. Slim chance, but he would be absolutely perfect for us.

Brayshaw seems slightly more realistic with the go home factor, but I'm tipping freo will be really good next year. Could be hard to leave a side entering the Premiership window if we aren't up there with them.

On SEN just before - Sam Edmund reporting saints offering Houston a lucrative contact, the word out of Port Adelaide though is he potentially more keen or Carlton.

Apparently - Richmond don’t want 5-6 first round picks in this years draft - Carlton maybe able to trade with Richmond to get Houston.

Interesting times!

Melbourne discussing Tim Membrey, as is North Melbourne.

Watson was always going to be minimum Top 10. Ginnivan was always a good player - he just needed to decide that getting the ball was better plan than always staging for free kicks.

As to the talls, There preferred forward set up at the start of the season was Lewis (199 cm), Chol (200cm) and Gunston (193). All that's happened is that Dear (196 cm) has replaced Lewis.

Our forward half stands up in comparison especially if we can run King through CHF, Caminiti deep and Sharman playing the Gunston role. Add Mitch, Higgins and Butler and that's a pretty good set up.

Just needs some real continuity.
Pick 5 at 170cm was a brave call after picking up Ginnivan imo, I wouldn’t have taken him there. They already had Moore, Bruest, Wingard, Butler, MacDonald. I think if we can get Collard up and running with a fit butler and Higgins it would be exciting to watch.

With Lewis back it will be interesting watching what they do. I think they just ease Gunston out but I’m not sure how well Lewis and Chol will work together. Maybe they’ll use Lewis, Dear and push Sicily forward, anyway they’ve popped up and will have everyone’s full attention next year along with a tougher draw.

On SEN just before - Sam Edmund reporting saints offering Houston a lucrative contact, the word out of Port Adelaide though is he potentially more keen or Carlton.

Apparently - Richmond don’t want 5-6 first round picks in this years draft - Carlton maybe able to trade with Richmond to get Houston.

Interesting times!

Melbourne discussing Tim Membrey, as is North Melbourne.
And some bullshit about a sighting of Harley Reid and saints 🤣

Who are the midfield engine of a team that ain't playing Finals .... a team that also includes other All Australian squad players

Great numbers ... but the impact?
They're missing finals, largely to do with Treacy being out at the ed of the season. They had to win one of four and they didn't, two of them were big chokes, another was 50/50 and we all know how the Port game went. Not a good excuse to miss finals but the midfield certainly wasn't the reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back