List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

On SEN just before - Sam Edmund reporting saints offering Houston a lucrative contact, the word out of Port Adelaide though is he potentially more keen or Carlton.

Apparently - Richmond don’t want 5-6 first round picks in this years draft - Carlton maybe able to trade with Richmond to get Houston.

Interesting times!

Melbourne discussing Tim Membrey, as is North Melbourne.

If there is any truth to what Edmund is suggesting, I wonder why Port would rather deal with Carlton. Perhaps Port are chasing a 1st round pick in this year draft and we havent put ours on the table. Hopefully that means if we are interested it involves next years draft pick/s, which still makes me feel ill. I remain strongly against chasing Houston, but if the club are intent there is not much we can do.

Carlton have pick #11 they only need points to grab the Camporeale twins, they would be chasing Richmonds later picks. I wished the changes to the bidding system had of come in this year it would make things so much fairer all round. But once again the AFL bends over to appease clubs like Carlton.

Melbourne would be a good landing spot for Members they need goal scoring players. Given that he is a free agent I wonder what sort compensation we would receive, I would expect it to be much.

If there is any truth to what Edmund is suggesting, I wonder why Port would rather deal with Carlton. Perhaps Port are chasing a 1st round pick in this year draft and we havent put ours on the table. Hopefully that means if we are interested it involves next years draft pick/s, which still makes me feel ill. I remain strongly against chasing Houston, but if the club are intent there is not much we can do.

Carlton have pick #11 they only need points to grab the Camporeale twins, they would be chasing Richmonds later picks. I wished the changes to the bidding system had of come in this year it would make things so much fairer all round. But once again the AFL bends over to appease clubs like Carlton.

Melbourne would be a good landing spot for Members they need goal scoring players. Given that he is a free agent I wonder what sort compensation we would receive, I would expect it to be much.
It doesnt say Port wants to deal with Carlton it says Houston prefers Carlton. What the club wants rarely factors into the convo

Exhibit A Griffin Logue being on the rich list thing... rough.

the whole paradox of cap management. people will point to not over paying battle as a form of cap management but the best lever for cap management has been shown to be consistently playing finals and winning a premiership. suddenly you retain players for unders: see Hawthorn, Geelong, Richmond etc.

the more you don't play finals and don't challenge for flag then two things happen:
1) you over pay your existing list to hit 95% of the cap
2) you over pay to bring existing players in. usually money ball types looking to cash in

It doesnt say Port wants to deal with Carlton it says Houston prefers Carlton. What the club wants rarely factors into the convo
Does when he is contracted.

Anyway hope he goes to Carlton, would be another misstep in recruiting.
Houston is a very good player, dual AA, but would cost us a fortune and not sure he is the right fit.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does when he is contracted.

Not really. Most of these deals end up getting done. More to the point he’s not going to a club he doesn’t wanna go to. If he wants Carlton as his destination then Port preferring what we might be able to offer is totally irrelevant.

Port are looking at all options to get a 1st Rd pick or Perryman or Cumming involved in Houston deal

Not really. Most of these deals end up getting done. More to the point he’s not going to a club he doesn’t wanna go to. If he wants Carlton as his destination then Port preferring what we might be able to offer is totally irrelevant.
Hope so. Personally not keen on him for reasons outlined in previous posts.

the whole paradox of cap management. people will point to not over paying battle as a form of cap management but the best lever for cap management has been shown to be consistently playing finals and winning a premiership. suddenly you retain players for unders: see Hawthorn, Geelong, Richmond etc.

the more you don't play finals and don't challenge for flag then two things happen:
1) you over pay your existing list to hit 95% of the cap
2) you over pay to bring existing players in. usually money ball types looking to cash in

Moneyball types would be the likes of Wood. High performance per dollar.
You seem to be referring more to the likes of Hannebury...high dollars.

Devils advocate, we trade our Battle compo for Houston. We draft a mid with 7.

Our list improves to the point of contention/top 6 next season.

We attract LDU/other free agents that allow us to continue to go to the draft with our first rounder…

We don’t go after Houston, we finish 6-12th again. We miss all big FAs but have two 19 year old mids.

What would you rather?

Last edited:

We attract LDU/other free agents that allow us to continue to go to the draft with our first rounder…

We don’t go after Houston, we finish 6-12th again. We miss all big FAs but have two 19 mids.

What would you rather?
Bringing in Houston is robbing Peter to pay Paul. The only way it works is if you push NWM up the ground. I'd love to see us bring in 2 top level mids and give them the keys to the midfield with Phillipou. I think its a much more attractive prospect having a young and exciting midfield with real upside, as opposed to Houston down back.

We don’t go after Houston, we finish 6-12th again. We miss all big FAs but have two 19 mids.

What would you rather?
Personally, I dont think adding another half back will move us 6 spots up the ladder.

On SEN just before - Sam Edmund reporting saints offering Houston a lucrative contact, the word out of Port Adelaide though is he potentially more keen or Carlton.

Apparently - Richmond don’t want 5-6 first round picks in this years draft - Carlton maybe able to trade with Richmond to get Houston.

Interesting times!

Melbourne discussing Tim Membrey, as is North Melbourne.
Gee, get that F1 out and go hard!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would you rather?
The opposite, we trade 8 and next years first for Houston, he has a serious injury round 2, our no.7 matures slower, we have burnt capital, got an injury bust in Houston and nothing to draft with as Tassie comes in.
Alternatively 7 and 8 come on like Wilson, trade for Parker, we win close games next year and come 6th, win a final and then land LDU and Brayshaw.
Just as likely as your fantasy.

Personally IF we could just use 8 on Houston, I would not mind, however it will cost a lot more for a dual AA in his prime.

However if we got him for 8 and used 7 on the best available mid, it is not a disaster, but I fear the draft capital would be much more.
Anyway let's see.

What would you rather?
I seriously doubt Houston improves us that much if at all.

Our midfield is dependent on natural progression, drafting or recruiting. Houston won’t replace Battle so all he’s doing is either marginally improving on Sinclair/Nas (if he’s improving at all) or we’re trying to move someone else into a midfield role we know won’t work so Houston can play in his preferred spot.

The option your not considering is we actually improve to a 4-8 team anyway (which based on some natural progression from Wilson, Nas, Pou, Owens, Windy and injury management, easier draw we should anyway). Use the two picks and the. We can sell FAs on that plus the Houston money.

We don’t go after Houston, we finish 6-12th again. We miss all big FAs but have two 19 year old mids.

What would you rather?
I’m not sure Houston takes a team very close to fifth last all the way to Top 6. I’m not even sure Bont makes anywhere near that difference.

Personally, I dont think adding another half back will move us 6 spots up the ladder.
Winning the close losses, a fully fit king & Henry, a full season of Phillipou as a mid and playing the same footy we did the last two months likely will. Houston has also had very successful stints as a mid and will give us a dual all Australian.
I’m neither here nor there but you can never have too much quality in their prime.

Winning the close losses, a fully fit king & Henry, a full season of Phillipou as a mid and playing the same footy we did the last two months likely will. Houston has also had very successful stints as a mid and will give us a dual all Australian.
I’m neither here nor there but you can never have too much quality in their prime.
A team like ours needs to have the majority of its stars on the paddock most of the season.
Look how we look with players like Jones, Dow, and Clark played with blocks of games near the end of the season.

Natural improvement from Pou, Windy, Wilson, Garcia plus a top 10 mid a good run with injuries, Caminiti and Sharman improving, King fit, we could win the close ones.
All depends on injuries. In foresight Houston would be a real asset in sbove circumstances.
If we have an injury run like this season, he would not make too much of a difference.

We land him, I won't be unhappy, and hope it works out despite my reservations.

A team like ours needs to have the majority of its stars on the paddock most of the season.
Look how we look with players like Jones, Dow, and Clark played with blocks of games near the end of the season.

Natural improvement from Pou, Windy, Wilson, Garcia plus a top 10 mid a good run with injuries, Caminiti and Sharman improving, King fit, we could win the close ones.
All depends on injuries. In foresight Houston would be a real asset in sbove circumstances.
If we have an injury run like this season, he would not make too much of a difference.

We land him, I won't be unhappy, and hope it works out despite my reservations.

I think there’s a tale of two extremes between our arguments and reality will likely be somewhere in the middle. If he only costs pick 8, you’d be silly to say no to the footballer.

I think there’s a tale of two extremes between our arguments and reality will likely be somewhere in the middle. If he only costs pick 8, you’d be silly to say no to the footballer.
No, I think if we could have a good run of injuries we would make the eight.

A bad run and Houston would make no difference.
Let's see.

i mean absolute disrespect to anyone who doesn’t think Smith is worth one of our first rounders this year, you’re all idiots.

He’s a game breaking 23 year old mid, who has an appetite for hard work and gives us an inside/out player with 10 years of footy in front of him.

Completely mismanaged by bevo since they lost to the dees but he is exactly the type of mid we’re trying to draft.

He’s not a Ben Cousins level drug addict, he got caught doing a line of coke.

Beyond that, he's a membership teams wet dream as he’s the most marketable player in the comp.

It’s a shame he’s not interested in coming
Crouch also got done for Coke and look how he turned out. Great player for us and our second best mid the whole time he’s been fit

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back