List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Our capability is 6-14th I'd reckon. It's super even. It's not necessarily just him that would propel us but he absolutely makes us better.
I disagree. I dont think he would make us that much better. We already have two of the best half backs in the league. Using that amount of capital to top up the one area of the ground we are already elite would be paying the maximum to improve the least.

Winning the close losses, a fully fit king & Henry, a full season of Phillipou as a mid and playing the same footy we did the last two months likely will. Houston has also had very successful stints as a mid and will give us a dual all Australian.
I’m neither here nor there but you can never have too much quality in their prime.
Houston was an average midfielder. We have plenty of those already.

I will never understand trying to make Sinclair a midfielder over and over again. Maybe we want to rotate Houston and Sinclair between half back and midfield, but it's not my cup of tea.

Paying stupid money for a part time mid who plays mainly down back doesn't feel like a wise investment.

Sinclair and NWM are elite half backs, can we not just leave them where they thrive?

Bit disappointed that the Jai Serong talk seems to have stopped completely.

With Battle and Barrass pairing with Sicily I can't see Serong being more than backup for Hawks.

Maybe a SOS special to trade a bit more for Serong and Hawks ensure pick 8 for us. Feels like something he'd do.

Assuming his heart is ok, Serong looks perfectly placed to take Battles role after a VFL apprenticeship, even down to the fwd turned Def status.

I disagree. I dont think he would make us that much better. We already have two of the best half backs in the league. Using that amount of capital to top up the one area of the ground we are already elite would be paying the maximum to improve the least.
He would be brought in to fill Battles spot in defence

With Battle and Barrass pairing with Sicily I can't see Serong being more than backup for Hawks.

Maybe a SOS special to trade a bit more for Serong and Hawks ensure pick 8 for us. Feels like something he'd do.

Assuming his heart is ok, Serong looks perfectly placed to take Battles role after a VFL apprenticeship, even down to the fwd turned Def status.
If he was that good Hawthorn would of used him instead of getting Battle.

Might not be able to trade for him because of the battle FA and the afl might think there is some double dealings. Although we are into their other ruckman so no idea 😂

Jai Serong may play this week given Frost could be out ... he was emergency on the weekend and not sure who else they have for a key back position .... of course next year won't be a problem

i really dont get the list strategy if media reports are true. the whole messaging around battle leaving was:
  • cap management... he's not a KPD and not a midfielder so therefore he's asking too much for someone who plays as a third tall,
  • draft collateral... we need high end picks to rebuild the midfield.

yet now the talk is we are throwing big money at Houston, who's contracted until the end of 2027 and is going to cost a decent pick to convince to let him walk. someone who's neither a midfielder nor a KPD, hell he's not even an intercept defender like battle who plays CHB.

what the **** is the point of this shit?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i really dont get the list strategy if media reports are true. the whole messaging around battle leaving was:
  • cap management... he's not a KPD and not a midfielder so therefore he's asking too much for someone who plays as a third tall,

yet now the talk is we are throwing big money at Houston, who's contracted until the end of 2027 and is going to cost a decent pick to convince to let him walk. someone who's neither a midfielder nor a KPD, hell he's not even an intercept defender like battle who plays CHB.

Are we just to believe and take as gospel everything that spews out of the Media clickbait machine?

True, it was Elshaug at the helm after all.

My memory is that most of US on bigfooty were happy, because Clark was the best mid, and Coffield had very good skills with potential for mid. There were a few sourpusses because we didn't get Bonar.
My memory was coffield was HBF and the Saints were hoping he'd turn into a mid. Clark was also HBF

Probably not the spot for this, but everyone is here or the Draft thread.

Reported this morning that Henry has gone in for a second operation on that knee.
Better now, than having it done in pre season

My memory was coffield was HBF and the Saints were hoping he'd turn into a mid. Clark was also HBF
Coff was drafted to be our Grant Birchall not a mid. He had played mid, back & fwd at the Knights though.

Clark had played midfield for the vast majority of his junior career. He was moved to HB as an underager at the champs and excelled.

Saying Clark was just a HB is like saying Josh Smilie is just a HF because he was played there during the champs. Gun mids always getting pushed around different possies for VM, VC, etc.

I think there’s a tale of two extremes between our arguments and reality will likely be somewhere in the middle. If he only costs pick 8, you’d be silly to say no to the footballer.

No it would be idiotic to give up pick #8 for a flanker, who is not a midfielder. Just like we sold the farm to get Brad Hill, who has been good but he is not an elite midfielder or a match winner.

Last edited:
No it would be idiotic to give up pick #8 for a flanker, who is not a midfielder. Just like we sold the farm to get Brad Hill, who has been good but not he is not an elite midfielder or a match winner.
If 'the farm' equals a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder & fringe player for Hill & three others that are best 22 four seasons later then you're correct.

Agree that Houston shouldn't be on our radar though.

Well said
Are we just to believe and take as gospel everything that spews out of the Media clickbait machine?
Some people do...

Houston would improve our team but I agree lets not waste cap space on him when we have more important FA targets next year. I have a feeling our offer is simply high money+low trade offer (second rounder) to get Carlton to squeeze their cap space more as they will be able to satisfy Ports want of a first rounder. I think (and hope) this is 4D chess by SOS

Coff was drafted to be our Grant Birchall not a mid. He had played mid, back & fwd at the Knights though.

Clark had played midfield for the vast majority of his junior career. He was moved to HB as an underager at the champs and excelled.

Saying Clark was just a HB is like saying Josh Smilie is just a HF because he was played there during the champs. Gun mids always getting pushed around different possies for VM, VC, etc.

For how high they were picked both Clark and Coffield are abject fails. However the club chose the absolute worst draft in history to attempt to find two possible midfielders. I distinctly recall Elshaugh stating that he thought both had midfield potential following the draft. It just shows how bad the club were at list management and projecting talent ahead of time back then. Stacking early picks is one thing, timing and making the right selections is another.

The errors back then are not the reason to trade out of this years draft, unless we can find an A grade midfielder that wants to joins us eg Brayshaw.

Who the hell is talking about us trying to trade for Dan Houston?

Just a bunch of clueless journos, no one connected with St Kilda. And rightly so, it's a complete reversal of our strategy and after making this mistake in '19 and living through the consequences of it in the last 5 years, I'd be stunned if we did it again.

Last edited:
Jai Serong may play this week given Frost could be out ... he was emergency on the weekend and not sure who else they have for a key back position .... of course next year won't be a problem

The other guy who may be a chance is big footy/Gringo's favourite Ethan Phillips.
I can feel a song coming on 🤔

SLYsWKf.jpeg

If 'the farm' equals a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder & fringe player for Hill & three others that are best 22 four seasons later then you're correct.

Agree that Houston shouldn't be on our radar though.

In hindsight how much different is Hill's output to Acres since that time? Given that we threw Blake in as a steak knives and everything else we gave we definitely over paid for Hill. Of the 3 others we got in the brokered deal, 1 has retired and the other two still dont have contracts for next year. Plus we stilll dont have another AFL standard ruckman if Marshall goes down. To suggest the Hill trade was reasonable is the exact reason our list remained in the state it was was for decades. Just another reason why Gallagher is no longer at the club!

Sugar hits and quick fixes have never worked unless you already have the core of a very good side.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back