List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Clark has been at St Kilda for 7 seasons.

Also, we all know we are not trying to replace Marshall but Campbell, right? We just need a VAR back-up mature ruckman. We get Soldo, he plays at Sandy unless Marshall is unavailable.

Why would Soldo go from being a backup at Port to a backup at St Kilda?

Any half decent ruck coming over would be doing so on the expectation that they are splitting time with RoMa ala Ryder.

Otherwise keep drafting kids until Marshall's close to retirement and then trade for a ready made option if the kids havent come on.

Macrae has indicated he wants to come. The Dogs haven’t given up retaining him. Don’t think Geelong are a genuine chance. They have other fish to fry.

Club is looking at other options in the vein of Houston. A name they will explore is Adam Cerra.

They like Soldo more than Reeves.

I’m not sure of where this sits in the current scheme of things but Crouch is currently getting opinions as to how managing his knee would go and potential long term impact.

Similar to Rooey.
he has another year right? so might as well give it a crack on the rookie list?

Any half decent ruck coming over would be doing so on the expectation that they are splitting time with RoMa ala Ryder.

Otherwise keep drafting kids until Marshall's close to retirement and then trade for a ready made option if the kids havent come on.
Maybe he just wants to be back in Melbourne?

There's no real #1 or split roles available at any Vic club presently that I can think of so a back up gig on decent coin might get us over the line.

We also have Heath & Keeler are coming along nicely as developing rucks too.

Soldo ain't Ryder, so I endorse the plan in your last sentence. Marshall is better than most AFL first 23 standard ruckmen. Only St Kilda supporters don't seem to believe it.

Ryder might be the last truly elite tap ruckman. No player in the AFL wins hit outs the way Ryder did.

GETTABLE(thankfully twomey back,very slipshod and not a great deal the last couple weeks,more info in half the show already this week)

howard re-signed
macrae-saints only club mentioned
soldo-watch on saints
harry armstrong-bolted into top 5 calculations

question on soldo vs reeves,does reeves have any fire in that belly?or is he just as ordinary and vanila as he looks?soldo could have a bit of fire and can also play forward some,like the idea of him and marshall switching

re armstrong,if true surely we look better for one of those topline mid prospects,if trainor and armstrong go early we are poised nicely?

now back to the last 16 minutes

forgot two,laverde-not expected to be at saints
houston-saints in the discussion if battle compo band 1

Yeah Reeves looks a lot like Clark Kent.

main-qimg-6943966d88e463d7ab5bf3cf8ed68d51-lq

images

Attachments

• 1726025562113.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 3
Sure but we aren't trading for him after those seasons.

Assuming we are asking the question, it's following yet another injury impacted campaign but even in those peak seasons, he's on par with someone like Seb Ross in terms of stats/impact.

Are we really saying that an injury prone Seb Ross is worth more than a 2nd round pick?

That Seb Ross was a perennial top 5 BnF midfielder and multiple winner.

I don’t think Cerra is a Superstar. But I’m simultaneously not going to turn my nose up at him.

Pending an offer that doesn’t involve our picks this year and a medical.

That Seb Ross was a perennial top 5 BnF midfielder and multiple winner.

I don’t think Cerra is a Superstar. But I’m simultaneously not going to turn my nose up at him.

Pending an offer that doesn’t involve our picks this year and a medical.

Haven't turned my nose up.

Just saying I wouldn't pay more than a 2nd rounder.

People thinking we will give Carlton a 1st round pick for Cerra to help them get Houston... No way. They can have our 2nd rounder.

As for Seb - The stats comparison I made was Seb from 2022 to Cerra now. Following a few soft tissue injuries we have delisted Seb. Not even keeping him as depth. He's gone.

Cerra already has a history of soft tissue injuries... Again, not turning my nose up but the idea that Cerra is a gun mid just doesn't stack up.

Reports were that port wanted 2 first rounders.

Carlton have p11. Need another and we could hypothetically facilitate and grab Cerra and Soldo.

I would hope it’s a future pick.
"2 first rounders" is such a vague demand, there's a big difference between 1+2 and 17+18. Maybe a single high pick satisfies those demands and they can try and turn it into two later first rounders if they want to.

Cerra's had five hamstring injuries in 12 months and his form dropped off a cliff. His best is very good but he was a shadow of that this year. Polled a solitary coaches vote in 13 games, after 49 last year. Have we learnt anything from Hannebery / Freeman etc?

Soldo is the same age as Marshall and got overtaken by a ruckman who was acquired for Pick 50.

Macrae is 30 going on 40 and failed to make the Dogs' best 22 in a final.

Giving a first (or future first) for these guys is crazy. I'd give it up for an elite AA in Houston but not for stop gaps and guys who struggle to stay on the park.

Maybe he just wants to be back in Melbourne?

There's no real #1 or split roles available at any Vic club presently that I can think of so a back up gig on decent coin might get us over the line.

We also have Heath & Keeler are coming along nicely as developing rucks too.
Ross would like to play 2 genuine rucks.

Soldo is also more bash and crash.

I agree the time Clark spends on the ground he is good, but he simply puts too much pressure on his team mates not being able to run out games. As an example of Clark's lack of run he has ad 4 bounces for his entire career, Brad Crouch has played longer but plays in the similiar manner has had 33. And thats even before we start talking about Hunters lack of spread and pressure on the turnover. He is a poor mans midfielder who as I have previously stated wouldnt get a game in any other decent AFL midfield.

Hunter has had 8 years at the club and still the same restricted player he was when he arrived, he wont be in our best 23 moving forward if we are to improve.

I am not red hot on Peatling but if the club bring him in it says more about Clarks future than what I have been suggesting. Peatling is a younger inexperienced midfielder at the level, his midfileld minutes would be restricted because of who is front of him - Clark just cant run out games its that simple.
Why does it matter so much? Apart from Sydney we have won more 4th qtrs than any other team.
The Saints have no problems running out games.
This TOG is a furphy in this case.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a few games a year he is.

Most of the time he's either injured or coming back from injury and is below his best.

I wouldn't want to be giving up more than a 2nd rounder for him TBH.

He barely clears Hunter Clark over the journey...

Carlton medico's absolutely slaughtered Cerra this year, would not give him extended time to overcome his hammy, did it about 5 times this year.
So while he was badly rehab'ed, buyer beware, they may have Freeman'ed him.

Rohan didn't hardly miss a game, incredible for a ruckman. Soldo would likely get plenty of time.
Injury to a key forward, play them both.

Macrae has indicated he wants to come. The Dogs haven’t given up retaining him. Don’t think Geelong are a genuine chance. They have other fish to fry.

Club is looking at other options in the vein of Houston. A name they will explore is Adam Cerra.

They like Soldo more than Reeves.

I’m not sure of where this sits in the current scheme of things but Crouch is currently getting opinions as to how managing his knee would go and potential long term impact.

Similar to Rooey.

Not sure about Cerra, injury history is a big worry - future second trick might work, but it feels like a big risk with our history of taking injury busts. Acres and Cerra will have had an interesting career playing for the same 3 clubs, that would be rare I'd imagine.

Didn't realise he was spoken about on yesterday's Midweek Tackle. Clearly unhappy with his injury rehab but can we get it over the line at a reasonable cost?

Macrae, good news, I'm all in at the right price. Time to do us a solid after Coffield trade. I hope we take full contract for a 3rd.

Have you heard anything about Serong? Our defence feels seriously light on and Jai seems a perfect fit.

Last edited:
"2 first rounders" is such a vague demand, there's a big difference between 1+2 and 17+18. Maybe a single high pick satisfies those demands and they can try and turn it into two later first rounders if they want to.

Cerra's had five hamstring injuries in 12 months and his form dropped off a cliff. His best is very good but he was a shadow of that this year. Polled a solitary coaches vote in 13 games, after 49 last year. Have we learnt anything from Hannebery / Freeman etc?

Soldo is the same age as Marshall and got overtaken by a ruckman who was acquired for Pick 50.

Macrae is 30 going on 40 and failed to make the Dogs' best 22 in a final.

Giving a first (or future first) for these guys is crazy. I'd give it up for an elite AA in Houston but not for stop gaps and guys who struggle to stay on the park.
No-one is talking about giving up a first for Mackrae. The whole attraction is that we can potentially get him for a late pick.
Agree , i do not want to give up early picks for Cerra or Soldo.

Soldo ain't Ryder, so I endorse the plan in your last sentence. Marshall is better than most AFL first 23 standard ruckmen. Only St Kilda supporters don't seem to believe it.
I think 99% of Saints supporters think Marshall is A grade and probably our least replaceable player. The value of Marshall is that he can play other roles - he played a lot of CHF at Sandy and has done well up forward in AFL. He can also swing down back a la Gawn and become a big obstacle when needed.

Soldo isn't Ryder but he is at worst a break even ruckman. I don't think there would be any issue playing both for 80% of the season - particularly when, but for Howard, we are pretty short in defence.

I think 99% of Saints supporters think Marshall is A grade and probably our least replaceable player. The value of Marshall is that he can play other roles - he played a lot of CHF at Sandy and has done well up forward in AFL. He can also swing down back a la Gawn and become a big obstacle when needed.

Soldo isn't Ryder but he is at worst a break even ruckman. I don't think there would be any issue playing both for 80% of the season - particularly when, but for Howard, we are pretty short in defence.

I admittedly didn't see any of him at Sandy, but what I have seen from him for St Kilda is a ruckman who can be very dangerous taking his ruck opponent deep and making him defend, but not a lot of success from him as a pure forward. In 2020 when he played predominately this role, he kicked 13 goals in 19 games (5 games without Ryder). If he plays forward also, he's not around the ball as much and he's our best clearance player (whether this is desirable or not).

I am just reluctant to mess with what Marshall brings or does as I consider it a success and a strength. I have no problem with Soldo on the list for "back-up ruckman" draft capital and salary, but I'd be reluctant to play them both in the same team. I understand this is a minority view.

I admittedly didn't see any of him at Sandy, but what I have seen from him for St Kilda is a ruckman who can be very dangerous taking his ruck opponent deep and making him defend, but not a lot of success from him as a pure forward. In 2020 when he played predominately this role, he kicked 13 goals in 19 games (5 games without Ryder). If he plays forward also, he's not around the ball as much and he's our best clearance player (whether this is desirable or not).

I am just reluctant to mess with what Marshall brings or does as I consider it a success and a strength. I have no problem with Soldo on the list for "back-up ruckman" draft capital and salary, but I'd be reluctant to play them both in the same team. I understand this is a minority view.

Marshall is actually one of our best midfielders. We'll only get worse if we take him out of the midfield, unless we get better midfielders. I wonder if he'd work as a defender , but its hard to rotate a defender into the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back