List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton supporting son in law has been bagging him out for two years B grader when fit, they overpaid badly. Is there any chance at all that this club can stick to a plan and actually take both picks to the draft.
They haven’t done anything.

They might not do anything.

It was an opportunity that has come up and they want to explore that.

We don’t even know what the cost of this would be - if it eventuates to anything. If Houston stays. Why would Cerra need to leave?

Not saying it will happen, but I'm warming to the idea of Houston for pick 8, especially if we get Macrae.

If Houston is a gun kick, it adds something. Every year I say the same thing... we need to bring better kicks/users into this side.

Take the best mid we can with pick 7. Add Macrae to the mids... see Pou and Windy improve. Works for me.
In a perfect world, we could rocket into contention, with:
  • Houston slotting into half back and gelling into an unstoppable rebounding formation with Sinclair and Nas
  • Macrae finding his best form, allowing Steele to recapture his best form, and together fixing our major weakness being clearance.
  • An injury free run across the board, including King and Henry who could both be major additions to what we had this year.
  • Continued improvement from Philipou, Wilson, Garcia, Owens and Windy.
  • Instant value from pick 7.

Of course, we never get that sort of luck and it's much more likely that key players are injured, recruits regress and other players stall. But then again, most premierships are won by the teams with the best run of luck and you have to be in it to win it.

If we turn Battle into Houston, that’s a win. Whether people prefer the idea of a draftee at 8 instead of Houston is fair enough but either way it’s a win. Houston is 1 year older, but adds class where Battle gave us a hard edge and defensive competitor. Houston could free up Sinclair to play more midfield minutes as well. As long as it’s not both 1st round picks with something coming back our way.

The brass are prepared to give pick 8 for Dan Houston, like it or not.
And like it I do not. Please Carlton, save us from ourselves.

I would bring in another backup ruck for next year and target TDK in free agency for a 50/50 ruck combo with Marshall in 2026.
Would be near impossible to prise TDK out of Bluescum now .... he is in their 3 most important players ... kick started them when he eventually came off the bench on the weekend

In a perfect world, we could rocket into contention, with:
  • Houston slotting into half back and gelling into an unstoppable rebounding formation with Sinclair and Nas
  • Macrae finding his best form, allowing Steele to recapture his best form, and together fixing our major weakness being clearance.
  • An injury free run across the board, including King and Henry who could both be major additions to what we had this year.
  • Continued improvement from Philipou, Wilson, Garcia, Owens and Windy.
  • Instant value from pick 7.

Of course, we never get that sort of luck and it's much more likely that key players are injured, recruits regress and other players stall. But then again, most premierships are won by the teams with the best run of luck and you have to be in it to win it.
Nah, the prevailing truth to existence is that you don't need to be anywhere to do anything.

King definitely played better when Marshall or Ryder were forward with him taking some of the load. It makes sense we get Soldo and play Marshall 70% forward.
So many benefits to this model.
We can let Membrey go, the ruck can fill a hole in defence which somewhat mitigates for Battle whilst Ro handles stoppages in the f50. Hammer can swing in defence of forward. The team get time to adapt to a traditional ruck for when Moose comes in. It buys Moose and Keeler more time to develop until they push their way in.

And like it I do not. Please Carlton, save us from ourselves.
I agree with you, though I can see the attraction. His disposal is very good, but these things are often not linear. It takes time for a player to adjust, and it's rare that they hit the ground running. Look at Hill, it took him over 3 years to get going for us.
I don't mind the McCrae idea, or Peatling (both depending on cost) but we need to stock up on the kids more than anything.
We need to time Tassie coming in, our ability to add experience in the right areas, and get the kids peaking for a sustained tilt.
We need to stick to the draft.

Last edited:
So many benefits to this model.
We can let Membrey go, the ruck can fill a hole in defence which somewhat mitigates for Battle whilst Ro handles stoppages in the f50. Hammer can swing in defence of forward. The team get time to adapt to a traditional ruck for when Moose comes in. It buys Moose and Keeler more time to develop until they push their way in.
I've loved this idea for months but there's one key issue you're missing, which is forward pressure. When we played TC and Row against Brisbane, it was our worst forward pressure performance for something like a decade (from memory), hence why it was so high scoring. We couldn't control Brisbane's ball movement from back half, and they're not even a good team from that source. If we had played a Sydney (Blakey and Florent) then we would've been shredded

I'd back Ross to tweak the game plan AND the personnel to accommodate for the two rucks, but its not all positives to come out of it at face value. It's part of the reason why I'm so keen on moving Caminiti back because I can't imagine a forward line consisting of King, Row, Caminiti, Owens that is able to defend D50 ball movement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The brass are prepared to give pick 8 for Dan Houston, like it or not.
We get Houston for pick 8 I will not be unhappy.
7 on the best mid, Houston and McRae.

That is fair enough in my book.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

They haven’t done anything.

They might not do anything.

It was an opportunity that has come up and they want to explore that.

We don’t even know what the cost of this would be - if it eventuates to anything. If Houston stays. Why would Cerra need to leave?
Every trade period we’re Jack off to sell the cow. You can smell the desperation and fear out of moorabbin and it’s not a great look imo.

I've loved this idea for months but there's one key issue you're missing, which is forward pressure. When we played TC and Row against Brisbane, it was our worst forward pressure performance for something like a decade (from memory), hence why it was so high scoring. We couldn't control Brisbane's ball movement from back half, and they're not even a good team from that source. If we had played a Sydney (Blakey and Florent) then we would've been shredded

I'd back Ross to tweak the game plan AND the personnel to accommodate for the two rucks, but its not all positives to come out of it at face value. It's part of the reason why I'm so keen on moving Caminiti back because I can't imagine a forward line consisting of King, Row, Caminiti, Owens that is able to defend D50 ball movement
Yeah forward pressure is an issue. I'd say that all of Coops, Snags and Hammer improved over the year and Chito needs to lift his game.
There's more to it than just that though. We need to close down the exit kicks a bit better, talls need to bring the ball to ground and smalls need to be in the right position. Most of what we see as lack of pressure is due to failures 5 seconds beforehand.
I'd rather get more clean marks inside 50 anyway.

Carlton supporting son in law has been bagging him out for two years B grader when fit, they overpaid badly. Is there any chance at all that this club can stick to a plan and actually take both picks to the draft.
Your son must know nothing about footy then. Literally lead their bnf til round 20 last year in a period where no one else was performing. Look at his elimination final performance from last year. Had an inconsistent year with injury but the kid is a serious talent

Would we rather Peatling or Macrae? Would be surprised if we got both AND drafted another 2 mids with Steele, Pou, Windy, Garcia, Clark, Dow, Jones (?) already listed, looks like a fair logjam in the middle.

Think Peatling has shown enough to throw a decent offer at him.
For me, you want A Grade quality and midfield depth, the top teams all have midfielders sitting on flanks and wings to aid in match day rotations. You also want depth in the Zebs for injury and form loss or suspension.

I’d also take any midfield goal kickers, which we desperately lack.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back