List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we were a top 4 rebound team this year so why aren’t we playing finals?

Also, top four after H&A season:

Sydney: Gulden, Warner, Heeney, Rowbottom
Port Adelaide: Butters, Rozee, JHF, Wines, Drew
Geelong: Dangerfield, Stewart, Holmes, Atkins (this one probably aligns with your point)
GWS: Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Callaghan

Then there’s:
Brisbane: Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage
Carlton: Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy
Bulldogs: Bont, Treloar, Libba

Is midfield really “much less important these days”?

We had no midfield due to injury. Geelong won a flag with most of their best mids taking more of a backseat. Richmond won multiple flags with a good but not absolutely elite midfield. Both have exceptional rebound players.

Having one elite mid and a bunch of good rotations is enough to be competitive.

Dogs are a side with a great midfield and haven't won anything. A lot of the sides you put up finished below us last year.

Might be worth a few people having a bit of a look at our results with Clark in the team vs him without.

Or our clearances when he attends a stoppage vs when he doesn't

Or our score for vs against when he is on the ground vs not.

With a cap on the number of rotations and a largely super fit side, Clark having lower time on ground and being used as a high impact player is completely fine.

The way he is being asked to play- intense bursts of repeat contest work at the coalface- is as responsible for his TOG% as any perceived lack of fitness.

People used to say he was too weak, now he isn't fit enough. Neither are accurate.

Our midfield has been or achilles heel for the past 10 years. We finally have a chance to get ahead of the curve and build an elite young midfield. I think its negligent to cough up a lung for Houston and forego a strong midfield.

Which is a great plan for 2030 and just needs us to not pick Hunter Clark and Coffield types.

Love Cerra but still have PTSD from Freeman's paper mache hammies.

Definitely worth exploring.

Mrw GIF

He won back to back to back All Australian jerseys not that long ago and was an elite midfielder.

Like many others he’s been Bevo’d, to say he’s only been damaging in a handful of games is absolutely wrong.

He would be a great get for us, good depth if nothing else. He can still absolutely rack up the footy, pace or no pace will run all day.

Our midfield sucks and we need all the help we can get, whether they’re 30 or 18.

Ed Richards has taken his spot.

Thats what exploring this “opportunity” will provide I guess.

Is the cost worth it?

I felt like Carlton overpaid Freo for him.
But simultaneously I watched a few of their games last year and thought he was very good - especially when the game was on the line.

Either way.

Let’s see what happens. I prefer this to Houston. Atleast Cerra is a mid.
I love the way Cerra plays and wanted him at the Saints but, is 5 hamstring injuries in one year an issue?

Would we rather Peatling or Macrae? Would be surprised if we got both AND drafted another 2 mids with Steele, Pou, Windy, Garcia, Clark, Dow, Jones (?) already listed, looks like a fair logjam in the middle.

Think Peatling has shown enough to throw a decent offer at him.

Peatling is a good solid player who might step up another level. He's mid 20s and off their VFL list as a mature age pick up. If he steps up another level he might end up around Steele level. If not you probably need to tempt him away with a 4 year contract on decent coin. He holds a spot up for a drafted kid or developing mid like Garcia.

Macrae would literally be a bridge between youth performing now.

I think the assumption with Clark is if he can average 20 disposals on 60% game time, what can get with 75% game time?

What if he just gets the same 20 disposals?

Clark averaged his 2nd highest disposal average in 2024 (2020 may have been higher if not for shorter games), and career highs for tackles, inside 50s and clearances. He's clearly in the "needs to be playing well to command a spot in the side", but I think many can't get past the TOG when it might not be that much of a problem (it's not like we have 17 on the field when he's not out there).

2020 was his ideal year, shorter quarters let him impact more and cut his deficiency out.

Equates to his best is behind him and the bulldogs have moved on, but here we come with picks burning a hole in our pockets. If he doesn’t cost peanuts then we’re a bunch of idiots.

Sanders and Richards are faster and more dynamic. Macrae is a high accumulation slower type who gets bagged for his low hurt factor but for us it's something we have lacked for ages. Getting the ball out into space for our good outside brigade would give us a serious advantage. They already have Libba who is a better more contested version of the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae has indicated he wants to come. The Dogs haven’t given up retaining him. Don’t think Geelong are a genuine chance. They have other fish to fry.

Club is looking at other options in the vein of Houston. A name they will explore is Adam Cerra.

They like Soldo more than Reeves.

I’m not sure of where this sits in the current scheme of things but Crouch is currently getting opinions as to how managing his knee would go and potential long term impact.

Similar to Rooey.

Cerra is ****ed. Absolute Hannerbury levels.

Why would Soldo go from being a backup at Port to a backup at St Kilda?

Any half decent ruck coming over would be doing so on the expectation that they are splitting time with RoMa ala Ryder.

Otherwise keep drafting kids until Marshall's close to retirement and then trade for a ready made option if the kids havent come on.

I think his girlfriend is in Melbourne.

Might be worth a few people having a bit of a look at our results with Clark in the team vs him without.

Or our clearances when he attends a stoppage vs when he doesn't

Or our score for vs against when he is on the ground vs not.

With a cap on the number of rotations and a largely super fit side, Clark having lower time on ground and being used as a high impact player is completely fine.

The way he is being asked to play- intense bursts of repeat contest work at the coalface- is as responsible for his TOG% as any perceived lack of fitness.

People used to say he was too weak, now he isn't fit enough. Neither are accurate.

If Hunter is that good why are being linked to McRae and Peatling and look like taking another 3 or 4 midfielders at the draft. He isnt even in our starting midfield group, the 4th worst performing in the competition. My point is he ok when he is out there he does contribute no doubt, but he simply doesnt do enough and will be quickly surpassed by others if he is only good for bursts. We all want him to become an A grader but its simply not a reality, his game is more flawed than Seb Ross ever was and no one is crying over his exit.

Lyon's has always prioritised players who can run, who work hard and get to contest after contest - how do you think he feels about Hunter. My guess he wants him replaced ASAP.

Ps Its just been reported Cerra is heading OS to get his hamstrings looked at. If things are that bad the club needs to give him a big pass!

Last edited:
Thats what exploring this “opportunity” will provide I guess.

Is the cost worth it?

I felt like Carlton overpaid Freo for him.
But simultaneously I watched a few of their games last year and thought he was very good - especially when the game was on the line.

Either way.

Let’s see what happens. I prefer this to Houston. Atleast Cerra is a mid.

Cerra is a good but not elite mid. I'd have him a little below Crouch even. His hammy went 6 times in a season. That's going to be hard to ever get right IMO.

Prefers the blues

Heard someone on radio suggesting we give up pick 7 and 8 for Jack Silvagni and Cerra so they get a pick and Houston. The worst thing is that it sounds very much like something that we'd do.

Haven't turned my nose up.

Just saying I wouldn't pay more than a 2nd rounder.

People thinking we will give Carlton a 1st round pick for Cerra to help them get Houston... No way. They can have our 2nd rounder.

As for Seb - The stats comparison I made was Seb from 2022 to Cerra now. Following a few soft tissue injuries we have delisted Seb. Not even keeping him as depth. He's gone.

Cerra already has a history of soft tissue injuries... Again, not turning my nose up but the idea that Cerra is a gun mid just doesn't stack up.

I wouldn't take him full stop with those strings.

Steele level is AA at his best. I could live with that.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's literally the best case scenario. Worst case is he's another GOP that holds up a lot of our cap for a decent chunk of time. I really depends on how list management rate the chances of Windhager, Pou and Garcia types along with the 2024 draft picks I guess. If we are confident but think they need time, we grab Macrae. I guess Peatling replaces Clark and Jones types as a worst case though.

SOS went and grabbed a heap of ready made mids to throw in next to Cripps which pushed guys like Dow out. He seems to have a bit of a take a heap then sift through the best of them approach to list management.

Cerra is a good but not elite mid. I'd have him a little below Crouch even. His hammy went 6 times in a season. That's going to be hard to ever get right IMO.
He is off overseas to get advice and looks to be getting a new contract fron Carlton.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We had no midfield due to injury. Geelong won a flag with most of their best mids taking more of a backseat. Richmond won multiple flags with a good but not absolutely elite midfield. Both have exceptional rebound players.

Having one elite mid and a bunch of good rotations is enough to be competitive.

Dogs are a side with a great midfield and haven't won anything. A lot of the sides you put up finished below us last year.
Cmon Gringo ...Geelong in their 2022 Premiership year had an exceptional midfield

In the GF - Smith 32 & 3 goals, Danger 27, Duncan 27 & 1, Selwood 26 & 1, Blicavs 23 & 1, Guthrie 16 & 1

In 2022 season alone -
Smith 24 games, 517D, 15G
Danger 18 games, 404D, 8G
Duncan 22 games, 515D 9G
Selwood 21 games, 459D, 7G
Blicavs 24 games, 425D, 8G
Guthrie 25 games, 613D, 12G
Atkins 25 games, 452D, 4G
Parfitt 17 games, 348D, 5G

It be nice to have a dream no injury run like they did ..... just for flipping once

Pull contracts forward, proactive extensions of kids, earmarked for a gazillion for a Fa next year.
I hear what you're saying- but all reports are that we've already done all that for years.

We've ditched heaps out of our cap the last few years (billings, gresh, coff, bruce, now battle etc etc)

Even before we did a lot of that- we still had over a mill a year to wave in front of degoey and chase other big fish too 2 years ago.

We've been pulling fwd spending and extending who we can (and want to), when we can (roma, king, nas etc).

But we have such little top level star power on our list that we have a massive underspend.
If crouch is cooked, macrae is a no brainer if he comes at 700k a year and stuff all trade cost.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back