List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Merrett was looking pretty pissed with a number of his teammates in their last few games for second rate efforts. Maybe he has had enough

But he’s almost 29. Not in our age demographic.

Contracted until the end of 2027.

And will cost a fortune in draft capital.

I’m puzzled by our move, unless there is an escape clause in his contract.

But we are clearly stirring the pot. It’s going to be fascinating to see how the Bombers react to this.

Why St.Kilda then? He would look for a club closer to contention. Not buying it.

Does he have a close friendship with Goddard?

Complete disillusion at Essendon?

Does St Kilda’s draft capital encourage him to seek a trade? Especially with Saints surging late season form.

I agree either way you though, it seems strange. But maybe we’ve been into him for a while.

This is getting out of hand, I'm calling for support.

giphy.gif
Could go any club( that has red and black in their colours)

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does he have a close friendship with Goddard?

Complete disillusion at Essendon?

Does St Kilda’s draft capital encourage him to seek a trade? Especially with Saints surging late season form.

I agree either way you though, it seems strange. But maybe we’ve been into him for a while.

Interesting…Zac ‘s connection to BJ

I’ll never forget a midfield craft session I did with him and assistant coach Hayden Skipworth in 2015 that helped me enormously. From the very start, the impact he had on my football was profound.

He desperately wanted to win a premiership after going so close at St Kilda in 2009 and 2010. His level of passion reflected that deep desire. Despite being almost 15 years into his career, he would regularly come into player meetings with first to third-year players. He would also do weights with us to build stronger relationships and help fast track our development.

Goddard and Merrett training together. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
Goddard and Merrett training together. Picture: Wayne LudbeySource: News Corp Australia

Everything he did was in the pursuit of winning a flag, including an uncompromising attitude at training which occasionally led to teammates getting angry at him, but always came from the heart. Personally, I enjoyed his bluntness. He wasn’t one to waste words, which I rated.

Externally, BJ was definitely misconstrued. But for me, he’s more than just a good friend. He’s also played a pivotal role in shaping me as a footballer and a clubman.

For this I’ll be eternally grateful. My only regret is that we didn’t get to play with each other for a few more years, so I could extract even more knowledge out of him, just as a true sponge would.

Last edited:
It's not a defining metric, but worth noting the Bombers have just one player on the list under the age of 23 (Perkins) who has been good enough so far to receive a coaches vote in a game of AFL football. Equal with Collingwood (N Daicos), Carlton (E Hollands), and Richmond (Sonsie).

We have six (Wilson, Phillipou, Caminiti, Owens, Windhager, Wanganeen-Milera), behind only Gold Coast (8), North, and Adelaide (7). All 21 or younger.

Wind back to 2020 and the five clubs who have retained at least five players who met this criteria are Port, Sydney, Brisbane, GWS and Gold Coast (who ruined my compelling argument).

Given the demographics it's not impossible to imagine a scenario where this gets done if he requests a trade, depending on where the Bombers genuinely think they're at. Either way, it's some quality pot stirring.

Dangling huge wads of cash around player managers might shake a few apples from other trees. If I’m LDU I’m thinking about the kind of lifestyle changes that might come from one of those godfather offers.

I’d say he’s never seen the Godfather movies it doesn’t always end well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett didn’t nominate us chief.

If you read the article it says the saints are targeting him and it’s unlikely to provoke serious consideration.

Unlikely to turn Merrett’s head.

In what world is that him nominating us?
Ease up hombre, the man is the second coming of the Dalai Llama. No shade.

Merrett didn’t nominate us chief.

If you read the article it says the saints are targeting him and it’s unlikely to provoke serious consideration.

Unlikely to turn Merrett’s head.

In what world is that him nominating us?
Chief champion it clearly states that we are talks are more advanced, expect a nomination tomorrow champion chief cobba

Howard signed a 1 year contract.
You sure? No announcement from the club.

Re - us getting Merrett - another red herring being thrown out by the club. Its like the supposed Weitering offer.

I reckon its a deliberate strategy aimed at player managers especially those with players who will be free agents next year. (Brayshaw, Worpel, LDU Bont ????)

So its hey look - right now we've got shedloads of cash, extra high end draft picks and we are prepared to use them so come and talk to us.

Last edited:
You sure? No announcement from the club.

Re - us getting Merrett - another red herring being thrown out by the club. Its like the supposed Weitering offer.

I reckon its a deliberate strategy aimed at player managers especially those with players who will be free agents next year. (Brayshaw, Worpel, LDU Bont ????)

So its hey look - right now we've got shedloads of cash, extra high end draft picks and we are prepared to use them so come and talk to us.
Cal twomey has announced it on gettable & on the AFL website in a article

I'm not against Merrett, as long as it isn't an insane price. Pick 8 and a F1 for Merrett and a F3. Trade that F3 for Soldo, use our current 3rd for Macrae, draft a mid with pick 7, and all of a sudden we have a much, much better engine room with some quality youth coming through at the same time.

While building in the draft is a great way to developed a premiership list, it isn't the only way. The Geelong method of quality veterans + well spotted value picks works as well. Dalrymple has shown the ability to pick quality late, so we at least on paper have the talent in our recruiting department to go that route.

I also think that for Stkilda, we have to accept that we won't get the same access that other teams get which have allowed them to really supercharge their rebuilds. We don't have access to academy picks like GC, Lions, GWS and Sydney. We don't have the same pool of father sons like Collingwood etc. We don't have the big club appeal of a Richmond, a Carlton, or Geelong And we can't (or at least shouldn't) be as poor over a long period as North.

So yeah, we might have to do things a different way

Merrett nominates saints

Saints split pick 8 for 13 and 21 from GC

Send Pick 7 and 13 and 21 to bombers

Get Merrett and Pick 9 back

This is assuming we get pick 8 to start with.

Ultimately it is 7 & 8 for Merrett & 9. Which is basically Merrett for 7. Dreaming. They would ask for 7, 8 & Phillipou.

Not sure why saints would even go for him at this stage. Morris probably got wind of some half conversation and reported it, which is fair enough. But 99.999% chance it goes nowhere, which would for the best.

If that was the case I would be looking at what I could get for Merret , when players are trying to control who's at the club you have lost control.
Since the secret herbs and spices debacle the dons have done everything to keep players happy, one of the justifications for keeping Dodoro the players loved him.

We'll wait and see, given this story has come out of no where, most real trades get set up between 6 and 18 months in advance, this has a strangeness about it.

Why would he want to leave,?

Cal twomey has announced it on gettable & on the AFL website in a article
Yeah - still not convinced. Why wouldn't we have formally announced an extension for Dougal if he's signed up?

We did it for the one year contracts for Webster, Byrnes, Stocker, Keeler, McLennan and Max Heath.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back