2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I had the same reaction on all of that. Draper would be a perfect fit. Can’t see it happening - but who does get there instead? So long glorious pick 5.

I share some of the Reid concerns, but the real knockers should really read Twomey’s view on his IQ because that doesn’t go away. And the fact that he may have clubs thinking he’s the best player in it.
The more I watch and see about Murphy Reid the more I absolutely want him. You can't teach footy smarts. But he can improve his running capabilities and speed, it may not ever be top end speed but if he reads the play better then anyone else he will be fine.

One thing we need to stop doing within the AFL is worry about what kids can't do. We should look at what they can do really well and be keen for what they can add to our team.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lalor is my pick he's a thick-skulled bull if he's still available I hope we take him and from my limited exposure I think he'll end up being the best of this draft class, the end.
Lalor/Smillie
Travalgia/Lindsey
Hynes/Dodson
Hannaford

Want more picks!!!
I'd love to see us go all in for this draft.
6 + Cole + Peckett

Rebuild over. Time to crack on.

Unless Melbourne or North take a taller player (such as Armstrong or Trainor) then we’ll end up with the seventh of the mids seen as the cream of this draft crop (not including the Ashcroft bid).

The question then becomes what do we do with our next pick? (which is the Battle compensation pick). Split it? (If there are takers). Reach for a dynamic-type mid? Or simply take the best available? (whoever it is).
Would rather trade up into the top 7 than split 8. Using Pick 8 + 24 or F1st/F2nd depending on how far up we go. Can always hedge by swapping Futures with other clubs like we did Adelaide and Melbourne that worked well.

Last edited:
No Ough in either list is interesting.. Looking through some of these guys, I really hope we resist trading 43 to WB and instead offer up F3.
My take is Ough’s upside at AFL level is limited. Accumulator against smaller U18s players, but doesn’t have standout speed or skills that would set him apart against the bigger bodies

My take is Ough’s upside at AFL level is limited. Accumulator against smaller U18s players, but doesn’t have standout speed or skills that would set him apart against the bigger bodies
194cm athletic looking player who has clean, quick and creative hands both winning and delivering the ball on the inside (similar but less so than Reid). Shows great vision and is a really lovely soft kick inside 50. He stood up big time in a prelim in the last moments which should be worth something. Fitness no issue obvs, will fill out and become naturally stronger in the contest but is already strong enough.

If its only a lack of speed thats the issue, same as Langford, Reid so idk, reckon his game stacks up well to my eye. Obviously not to ze experts though

Did a video with Pommyinoz who knows all things draft.

Good stuff. Always good to hear content at this time of year. I would love to get involved in the GC/Rich debate over Rioli. 12 and 20 for our F1? I think it will cost us an arm and a leg to do it on the night, everyone will want in.

I think he’s too positive on the list! And while SOS will undertake the trades, he (hopefully) won’t be overriding Dalrymple on the selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a0b1a3ead287c6bfd977d128b147f56c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm good mate, how are you going?

Just been a busy man this year, not a lot of time for bigfooty. Had to jump on and catch up before silly season though!

Yeah all good, trade and draft time is like Big Footy Christmas. Hopefully things calm down a bit next season, good to have you back.

I know its only Cals favourites but the phantom is what scares the hell out of me. Draper will definitely not be available at our first pick but I'd be beside myself if he was.

The worry is that Trainer has slid so far, is that indicative of what's happening in clubland? Will the Dees or Roos take Armstrong?

The guys (in that top 30) taken from 9-20 could all end up the same in terms of quality.

Broken record time, but I'd be a whole lot more comfortable sitting pretty with 5/6 right about now.

I still think this is an incredibly even draft. I get selection paralysis when I look at this crop. There are potential guns right out to pick 30 and even a good dozen more that are high potential outside that. It's one you wouldn't mind a heap of picks in. It's a real gamblers draft. Pick up plenty and hope a few are stars.

No Ough in either list is interesting.. Looking through some of these guys, I really hope we resist trading 43 to WB and instead offer up F3.

I think Ough sits just outside that crop but can definitely see a club jumping in early to secure him. The whole draft looks like one where some clubs could rate players much higher than others. Moraes was a top 5 pick and now looking like a pick in the 20s. Could be an absolute Errol Gulden.

Hopefully we use future picks to trade as you say.

There are 8 top class mids available in the open pool. Who ever falls to us will be a gun.

Sadly there are not 9 top class mids (assuming Ashcroft is one of the 8). Unless someone else bolts late.

I assume Adelaide are likely to take the SA lad Draper. There is a reasonable chance that Smilie could be the one that is there at our pick.

What do we do with the band 1 Battle compensation pick if a tall isn’t drafted before it is our turn?

Best available? Dilute? Reach?

yeah, don't see it at all with Ough.. if he suddenly improves his spatial awareness and decision making then sure, which can happen, but right now he doesn't have any elite traits...

someone like Bo Allen has way more upside than Ough who looks vanilla af atm

194cm athletic looking player who has clean, quick and creative hands both winning and delivering the ball on the inside (similar but less so than Reid). Shows great vision and is a really lovely soft kick inside 50. He stood up big time in a prelim in the last moments which should be worth something. Fitness no issue obvs, will fill out and become naturally stronger in the contest but is already strong enough.

If its only a lack of speed thats the issue, same as Langford, Reid so idk, reckon his game stacks up well to my eye. Obviously not to ze experts though
he's tall but when you play like aron fiora it makes no difference

Sadly there are not 9 top class mids (assuming Ashcroft is one of the 8). Unless someone else bolts late.

I assume Adelaide are likely to take the SA lad Draper. There is a reasonable chance that Smilie could be the one that is there at our pick.

What do we do with the band 1 Battle compensation pick if a tall isn’t drafted before it is our turn?

I said in the open pool. That was not including Ashcroft

Best available. May as well. Armstrong or Trainor would go great in our team, the latter taking Battle's role, the former would make a great combo with Sharman and King

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back