List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah - still not convinced. Why wouldn't we have formally announced an extension for Dougal if he's signed up?

We did it for the one year contracts for Webster, Byrnes, Stocker, Keeler, McLennan and Max Heath.

SAINT TO STAY​

ST KILDA has added another re-signing to its list, with key defender Dougal Howard penning a one-year extension.

Howard was coming to the end of his five-year deal he signed when he joined the Saints at the end of 2019 ahead of the 2020 season.

BlBv27s0.jpg

Dougal Howard in action during St Kilda's clash against West Coast in round 19, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
But he has joined the group of Saints to have recently secured new deals, with the 28-year-old key defender to return to Moorabbin for next year.

Howard had hamstring issues in the first half of the season but played the final 15 games of St Kilda's campaign.

St Kilda has announced a run of re-signings recently, leaving Tim Membrey, Zak Jones, Olli Hotton and Ben Paton among the Saints who remain out of contract. – Callum Twomey

This is assuming we get pick 8 to start with.

Ultimately it is 7 & 8 for Merrett & 9. Which is basically Merrett for 7. Dreaming. They would ask for 7, 8 & Phillipou.

Not sure why saints would even go for him at this stage. Morris probably got wind of some half conversation and reported it, which is fair enough. But 99.999% chance it goes nowhere, which would for the best.

I would love to get Merritt but f dealing with Essendon they’ll ask for way to much.

I would love to get Merritt but f dealing with Essendon they’ll ask for way to much.

Anyone would , he's their captain and he's contracted.
Why did we target Merrett? We might as well have targeted Cripps, Neale, Bont, Rozee etc...in fact i'd prefer any of those.

OK, someone fill me in on all the rumours we have going on this off season.

Merrett seems ridiculously unlikely and giving up a big deal for a 29 year seems like stupid list management anyway.

I think if Battle gets us pick 8 then we've been kissed on the dick in an open draft. We need to either be hitting the draft again or going hard at young players so we can build around NAS, Pou, Wilson, Windy, Owens etc.

SAINT TO STAY​

ST KILDA has added another re-signing to its list, with key defender Dougal Howard penning a one-year extension.

Howard was coming to the end of his five-year deal he signed when he joined the Saints at the end of 2019 ahead of the 2020 season.

BlBv27s0.jpg

Dougal Howard in action during St Kilda's clash against West Coast in round 19, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
But he has joined the group of Saints to have recently secured new deals, with the 28-year-old key defender to return to Moorabbin for next year.

Howard had hamstring issues in the first half of the season but played the final 15 games of St Kilda's campaign.

St Kilda has announced a run of re-signings recently, leaving Tim Membrey, Zak Jones, Olli Hotton and Ben Paton among the Saints who remain out of contract. – Callum Twomey
Wonder what the hotton storey is.

He's on a six year deal, which is said to be front ended, so he's not going to free up a lot of gap for the bombers.
If we "can" somehow pry him out it leaves a lot of questions about player contracts.
Why would you want to front end a contract if they can walk away from the back end?

He's on a six year deal, which is said to be front ended, so he's not going to free up a lot of gap for the bombers.
If we "can" somehow pry him out it leaves a lot of questions about player contracts.
Why would you want to front end a contract if they can walk away from the back end?
Because you might as well spend the extra salary cap space when you have it and then it leaves room to afford better players in a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does he have a close friendship with Goddard?

Complete disillusion at Essendon?

Does St Kilda’s draft capital encourage him to seek a trade? Especially with Saints surging late season form.

I agree either way you though, it seems strange. But maybe we’ve been into him for a while.

I think we look like a finals side with Merrett. You would have to think that having a fit Crouch would have had us matching last year’s level. Merrett a step up and internal improvement we should be nipping at the heels of top 4. We have done a lot of list building in the last 5 years. Best state the list has been since Lyon left the first time.

I only just realised Battle is an unrestricted free agent.

If that is the case it seems unlikely to me that we will end up with band one for him. We don't have the threat of matching any offers like North did with McKay and Battle is apparently being offered less from the Hawks then St Kilda.

It'll be disappointing to see him go for pick 20ish if that's where it falls.

I think we look like a finals side with Merrett. You would have to think that having a fit Crouch would have had us matching last year’s level. Merrett a step up and internal improvement we should be nipping at the heels of top 4. We have done a lot of list building in the last 5 years. Best state the list has been since Lyon left the first time.
You want to talk about topping up all the time when not ready.
How about 3 years into a 5 year strategy of hitting the draft, suddenly change tack, spend the best draft hand we have had in a decade, probably involving a future first.

All this while being a bottom eight team with Tassie about to compromise the draft for a 29 y.o good but not great midfielder marginally better than Steele.

Lol

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's probably a good sugar hit that helps us play finals next year for sure.

Not sure it's a great long term solution to chasing a flag though.

I don't disagree , but the price is too high.
If we fail at that final, w'eve burnt our bridges ....again.

I don't disagree , but the price is too high.
If we fail at that final, w'eve burnt our bridges ....again.
Absolute top up of a team not ready. Burns all our draft capital then Tassie comes in.

Lol. So St.Kilda looking for the messiah.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

After Tom's fake story with Marshall this year I find it hard to believe he has any sources on what we're doing. Man just needed a headline to remind people he's on a tv show.

morris wouldn't be getting anything from our side- but I recall he has shown to have good inside intel on essendon stories.

(If there is any substance to it)

To me this looks like merrett has seen how effective petraccas dummy spit was in forcing change in the demons HQ (and likely himself a payrise)- and he's going to try and do the same.

I'm sure he's not going anywhere- but he's using us as way to get himself a payrise and bombers HQ to listen to him.

Happy for us to be used in this way- shows the club is dead serious about fixing our midfield.

Why is it that some clubs like St Kilda have to engage in long-term list building and generally are expected not to jump the queue and to wait their turn, while other clubs never bottom out, continually top up (including with expensive and/or mature age players) and no one calls it a "sugar hit" or a "false dawn".

I think its the longer term future question with Merret.

He makes us a better side now and for maybe another 2-3 years but does that stunt Pou and Garcia and Windys growth? Do we lose at least one FRDP this year and next? Possibly more?

It's probably a good sugar hit that helps us play finals next year for sure.

Not sure it's a great long term solution to chasing a flag though.

All our best players are knocking on the door to 30.

Even if (massive IF) any/all of pou, wilson, owens, garcia etc become genuine A graders (which will take until they are 25/26)- all they will be doing is replacing our current A graders- steele, marshall, wilkie, sincs

Net result is us not being much (if any) closer to a flag than we are right now.

Our best chance at a flag is in the next 3 years.

After that- we are largely back to where we are now... midtable at best (even IF the likes of pou etc kick onto become genuine A graders)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back