List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

carlton have told Matthew Kennedy to explore his options.

could do worse than have him in the guts

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don’t mind this. If he’s dirt cheap.

Good soldier. Tough. Versatile.

Has been used poorly at Carlton.

Good protector for the younger lads coming in.

100% there is.

Just like this story came out of nowhere. We have good players and players others would want.

What’s to say Adelaide hasn’t got Pou or Nas in the same situation?

My opinion is that this is crap/not happening.

You don’t let bombs like this drop so far out from trade period.

When a bomb goes off it’s on the eve or during the trade period and the 2 that come to mind are Horne Francis and Tom Boyd.

This reeks of either: the club wants everyone to to know it’s got money and Capital to deal or Merrett wants more money as he is disgruntled

Yep, I see this as holding up a big bag of cash in front of player managers and asking who wants it. Offer it to one of the least gettable good players in the comp and drop some burly in the water. Not scared of upsetting the Dons because they are campaigners anyway.

Every good player in the comp that is into cash will be looking up.

Nope. Not for a minute.
We have (more than likely) got the opportunity of 2 top 10 draft picks for the first time since Moses was a boy. I'm not squandering that on a sugar-hit 29 year old who won't be around at our next flag.

Since Moses was Clark and Coffield? We had three firsts when we got Dunny, Billings and Acres. McKenzie first pick in round 2 that year too. Paddy and Hugh were both first round picks. We aren't getting Merrett but we should be looking for elite talent. We are a deep squad with lots of quality but lack a couple of absolute elite players too go top 4.

Kids likely pay off in 4 to 5 years just as the current best players start to slow down. We need to keep drafting where. we can but also looking at opportunities.

Someone better inform John Ralph we’ve been given pick 8. He’s not convinced. And says Battle will be on less than $900k. He’s obviously out of the loop.
Whilst simultaneously reporting the saints are overly confident they will.

So it’s his opinion as opposed to factual reporting.

Battle can be on 875k per season and we can still land Band 1 due to the points accumulation.

Last edited:
Don’t mind this. If he’s dirt cheap.

Good soldier. Tough. Versatile.

Has been used poorly at Carlton.

Good protector for the younger lads coming in.
Been stuck in the graveyard half forward role, I rate him purely as inside mid. If Crouch is cooked and he comes cheap I wouldn’t be against it, still prefer Macrae though.

Is there anyone else at Essendon we might be in to?
I know Sos and Gubby were big on offering contracts to players in the hope their club would pony up and screw their salary cap forcing other talent out the door

Does anyone know what the status of Ollie Lord from Port is? From memory he signed an extension last year(?) but doesn’t seem to be getting regular games? He’s a 195cm key forward from the bayside area, who the saints were keen on a couple of years ago.
Long-term Dixon replacement you'd think

Someone better inform John Ralph we’ve been given pick 8. He’s not convinced. And says Battle will be on less than $900k. He’s obviously out of the loop.
I don’t think it purely a money thing anymore. That’s why the club is confident it will be band one because he hit all the other markers. Money just needs to be front ended and we will be sweet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a weak draft there could be a small argument to pay two first rounders for Merrett. In a deep draft, you bank your selections and use it to set up your future.

It's deep because good players will come in the 20s and 30s. It probably has a less obvious top 10 than most years so in some ways it's a softer draft. It reminds me of the Coffield Clark draft where a lot of stars could come in the second round and a few first rounders could flop.

That draft was insane, Gryan Miers went at 57, Dylan Moore at 67, Meek at 69, Xerri at 72 even Guelfi at 76 the third last pick is a decent player.

Oscar Allen, Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan, Noah Balta, Brent Daniels, Sam Taylor, Charlie Spargo, Tom DeKoning, Bailey Fritsch, Tom McCartin and Harrison Petty all went in round 2.

Round one was more hit and miss funny enough.

You can call it glass half full if you like.

I prefer the term realistic.

I'm usually a positive fan, but I think if you were to ask neutrals of the game whether Zach Merrett could push us into flag contention with our current list, I presume most would agree with me.

You may think the flag window doesn't exist with our current crop of kids, but I believe that we at least have a foundation now, which is more that we have had for quite some time. It's far from the finished product though I agree, which is exactly why we need to add more quality youth, either through the draft or trade.

I reckon we would have pushed top 4 with a fit Crouch and a few less injuries. Next year with a clean injury run and internal development we should be pushing back towards there again. Merrett probably would push us a lot closer. You only need to get a couple of soft kills and you are in the running.

We probably need to groom Sharman as the third tall defender and hope that King steps back up though.

Since Moses was Clark and Coffield? We had three firsts when we got Dunny, Billings and Acres. McKenzie first pick in round 2 that year too. Paddy and Hugh were both first round picks. We aren't getting Merrett but we should be looking for elite talent. We are a deep squad with lots of quality but lack a couple of absolute elite players too go top 4.

Kids likely pay off in 4 to 5 years just as the current best players start to slow down. We need to keep drafting where. we can but also looking at opportunities.
Ok, ok, I get your point.
Although, sorry you were Sandra Sully to SaintSteele9 who beat you to it 🤣

Would you trade king for Merrett and Bryan ?. I can’t see who else would have the trade capital unless it was captain for captain. Probably bite us on the arse like stewart for Barrot, for those who are mercifully too young to remember we have made some horrible trades in the past.

I probably wouldn't to be honest. I think a fit King playing his best footy is worth heaps. Try to build him back up and maximise value at least.

Used as a utility by Voss. But when played as a genuine mid has had some big games in the last 2 seasons.

If it’s a third. It would be a yes for me along with Macrae.

He's a Plain Jane mid with a really fragile body. He'd want to come nearly free. We need cream not more milk.

Would think that those who do have true family connections actually don't advertise it, or continually bring it up. It would possibly only come up in a high news event eg club captain wanting to leave the club. There are lots of people with family, or inlaw family, friendship, football connections and they don't bring it up here, as the know they would possibly fall out with that person if they were to become public with comments. I may, or may not, be able to attest to that (actually no connections at all, but loved that line).

I have a pretty loose connection and tried to find out info. Got nothing. Some of us very happy to show off but didn't manage to get anything worthwhile. Heard about barely related babies, engagements and careers and injuries to teammates of Merretts playing ammos and all the rest though. Was nearly asleep.

Used as a utility by Voss. But when played as a genuine mid has had some big games in the last 2 seasons.

If it’s a third. It would be a yes for me along with Macrae.
one or the other and I prefer McRae, we still need to run our young mids through there

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back