List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Others seem to see it differently, but to me this statement plainly means there have been informal discussions with Zac and his management. (Doesn't mean I like it or it makes any sense.....)

Sent from my SM-S711B using Tapatalk
And if the extent of the conversation was… does Merrett like the idea of a 50% pay rise to come play at Moorabbin?

That would be informal and still not worth the reporting.

What Morris actually said:

“People who say ‘oh it’s just a conversation’ don’t understand that it has become more advanced than that because people around Merrett are acutely aware of the money that’s on the table if he wants to have that discussion.”

So he has made a story out of nothing. There is genuinely nothing in this report other than the saints are offering a lot of money for good footballers.

Kennedy and Young for a cheap future pick wouldn't be the worst idea.

I'd prefer Kennedy to Macrae, cheaper salary and a bit younger. Young could potentially fill the Battle role short term?
Battle is 193cm. Young is 201cm.

Young would be brought in to let Dougal move up to CHB and allow Wilkie to be the 3rd tall.

Eww young is terrible.
Don’t agree with that. He’s not a star, and barely a GOP, but he can fill a role.

We have absolutely ZERO depth behind Howard, unless we’re converting Keeler or Caminiti full time.

FWIW…

IMG_1313.jpeg IMG_1314.jpeg

Others seem to see it differently, but to me this statement plainly means there have been informal discussions with Zac and his management. (Doesn't mean I like it or it makes any sense.....)

Sent from my SM-S711B using Tapatalk

Exactly. Not sure why people are so sensitive about it. Saints statement clearly indicated there was informal discussion, which Morris got wind of and reported.
If SOS and Gubby aren’t out there kicking the tires in every option then WTF are we paying them for. Doesn’t mean we would take it any further.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For someone who says you have a family connection to him i find it a tad strange that in over 1200 posts this is the first time you have ever mentioned his name

You can believe whatever you like. I’m just telling you what I’ve been told. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's no Zach Merrett, but Matt Kennedy is 27 and has always been a very serviceable midfielder. I was hoping he'd get to us when he was delisted by the Giants. If we miss Macrae, Peatling etc, I wouldn't be mad about him. Has a different set of attributes to the rest of our mids; leg speed, overhead marking, and a bit more versatility. Surely nothing more than a third rounder

ALSO SOS recruited Kennedy to Carlton
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Whilst simultaneously reporting the saints are overly confident they will.

So it’s his opinion as opposed to factual reporting.

Battle can be on 875k per season and we can still land Band 1 due to the points accumulation.

I hope we get pick 8. But it’s no sure thing. There is a formula which seems to line up pretty well for us, except the money is pretty short. We want the absolute top option. But Battles contract is nowhere near a top tier FA offers in reality. $900k is small beans. McCluggage got offers 5+years at $1.2m+.
We will offer LDU 5+ years at $1.3m+ for sure. That’s nearly 50% more cash for same age player at max considered length.

I know they compare to the other FAs that year also, but it’s seriously unlikely that the top offer that year automatically gets top compo. But if a weird formula if it maxs out so far from the top offers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was hoping to replace Jones/Byrnes.

Macrae could be seen as replacing crouch.
I just see it as wasting time/space/capital

we have young mids who need guidance and time in the middle, we can only rotate so many off HFF
Pou, Windy Garcia, at least another 2 this year.

rather concentrate on developing our young mids and that requires they have time in the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can believe whatever you like. I’m just telling you what I’ve been told. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure why you needed to try and shure up what you had said earlier as I gave you a like to your last post.
I do love your last sentence though.

And if the extent of the conversation was… does Merrett like the idea of a 50% pay rise to come play at Moorabbin?

That would be informal and still not worth the reporting.

What Morris actually said:

“People who say ‘oh it’s just a conversation’ don’t understand that it has become more advanced than that because people around Merrett are acutely aware of the money that’s on the table if he wants to have that discussion.”

So he has made a story out of nothing. There is genuinely nothing in this report other than the saints are offering a lot of money for good footballers.
BREAKING NEWS .... HOT OFF THE PRESS

THE SAINTS HAVE ......

A lot of cap space and can ... go any player

Watch Byrnes’s last 6 weeks, he was in our best 10-15 players. Clean and consistently hitting targets. He improved almost dramatically in the second half of the year. And he’s only 22.
And the prior 17 weeks?

I think we need to be careful with the weight we give those last 6 weeks over the majority of the season.

Eww young is terrible.

That's the thing about KPPs though, they are s**t until they're good. I recall Jack Payne getting absolutely bagged as a spud a couple of years back and he's really found his feet recently.

Young is admittedly older and much less upside so I guess not; that said it seems like Carlton is a team trying to get by on talent over system and I am curious to see how he'd go for a year or two with a clearly defined role in our defensive system.

And the prior 17 weeks?

I think we need to be careful with the weight we give those last 6 weeks over the majority of the season.
He’s 22.. What was Pou like the prior 17 weeks? Less productive then Byrnes. Both went back to the VFl and came back better. Surprise our outside players started playing better once we started winning our fair share of ball at the source.

And the prior 17 weeks?

Byrnes is a work horse and gives 100% each week, there are lot less deserving players on our list than him. I actually think he has a spot as a lock down small defender, the couple of times he played there he did really well.

He is quicker and provides more run than Stocker and is hugely courageous for a kid his size. You cant bottle garaunteed effort but Ronny provides it in spades.

I honestly don't give a rats about the money.
I can't understand those who think its "only" about the money.

Yeah never understood why fans care about how much their clubs players are earning.
As long as it’s all in the salary cap then who cares, not like it’s our money.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The 2 time All Australian I reckon.
All depends on how we weigh up the price.
I think you can probably get both for similar draft capital namely a third rounder (anything more is overpaying). I think Mccrae has the higher pedigree but Kennedy probably more to give being 27. Maybe we want an older mid, play just long enough to mentor and bridge the gap over the next 2 years to our young brigade.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back