List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Finn Callaghan for two first rounders? One for every goal he kicked this year. Never received a Brownlow vote. No denying that he is a beautiful player to watch & I would love him in our side but for that price it'd be whatever the opposite of Moneyball is
“Good business”?

yeah, likely pick 24 ad future first OR pick 8, future first but we get a second back.

I'd say closer to 700 not 1mil
Time will tell, I’ll be very surprised if we would be offering him a 700k contract. There will be half a dozen other Melbourne clubs desperate to lure him and we have cash to burn.

And if it’s this year (which it won’t be), Giants aren’t even going to entertain pick 24 and a future first for a contracted 21 year old former number 3 that looks like he’s ready to explode.

Finn Callaghan for two first rounders? One for every goal he kicked this year. Never received a Brownlow vote. No denying that he is a beautiful player to watch & I would love him in our side but for that price it'd be whatever the opposite of Moneyball is
What a weird comment. I’d love to know how many stars didn’t manage to get a Brownlow vote in their first two years of footy. I reckon there’d be quite a few.

So are GWS already feeling defeated in their attempt to retain Finn 12 months out and they would see themselves as a flat chance next season too?

Can’t see it

Can find reasons for many clubs not wanting to trade their players. Thing is though they have so many first rounders waiting in the wings, maybe they'd prefer to draft into a stronger draft.

I see everyone (including myself) saying, let's trade our F1 because this draft is great. Well, every club thinks this way as well so let's do the opposite and trade the valuable pick instead and see if Giants take the bait.

Reality check time now. I remember last time we were linked publicly to Finn, a week after he signed an extension. I feel this happens regularly, just another negotiation tactic. I'm guessing we either have a chance with him this year on a godfather deal, or he signs an extension in the next fortnight.

Yeah but what about his Supercoach average?

Gresham had a poor year. All stats down on 2023. Played 2 very good games in the first 6 weeks and got everyone excited but was in really poor form overall. Averaged 3.6 fewer disposals (down 15%), 1 fewer tackle (down 33%), 1.3 fewer marks (down 33%) and kicked 2 fewer goals. At least he maintained one stat - turnovers when kicking inside 50.

We really didn't lose much at all. Gresham couldn't hack the Lyon standards but they were making him a better player. Took the easy path.

Also worth noting that his 2023 was crap for him compared with his previous career averages for virtually every stat.

In summary- he had a career worst year with us in 2023.
And then followed it up with an even worse year than that in 2024.

Meanwhile the bombers gave him such a big contract- that we got end of first round compo for him.

That's like dodging a bullet and having that same bullet hit a moron (ie the bombers) smack bang in the breadbasket instead.

Can find reasons for many clubs not wanting to trade their players. Thing is though they have so many first rounders waiting in the wings, maybe they'd prefer to draft into a stronger draft.

I see everyone (including myself) saying, let's trade our F1 because this draft is great. Well, every club thinks this way as well so let's do the opposite and trade the valuable pick instead and see if Giants take the bait.

Reality check time now. I remember last time we were linked publicly to Finn, a week after he signed an extension. I feel this happens regularly, just another negotiation tactic. I'm guessing we either have a chance with him this year on a godfather deal, or he signs an extension in the next fortnight.
The same reason we want him and would pay him an insane amount of money is the reason why his club won’t trade him.

Thats the short of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he plays for a premiership-contending team filled with stars. And he plays predominantly on a wing - how often does a winger get Brownlow votes?

21 years old this year, lots more development to go. The fact that he’s able to get midfield minutes ahead of the likes of Josh Kelly in a top 4 team must say something

Josh Kelly 7 goals in year 2.
No brownlow votes first two years either.

21 votes in his fourth.

Lenny Hayes
5 goals, 10 goals, 5 goals 7 goals in first 4 years.
No brownlow votes first 2 years, only 2 votes in year 3.

Jack Steele, 1 goal, 8 goals.
No brownlow votes first 2 years.

Dane Swan 0 goals, 2 goals, 3 goals.
No brownlow votes in first THREE years!

Buddha Hocking, none in first two. Most players I'm randomly searching on are coming up with none, or at most 2 or 3 votes in first couple of years.

Last edited:
That's like dodging a bullet and having that same bullet hit a moron (ie the bombers) smack bang in the breadbasket instead.
damn thats gonna drive me crazy now,been trying to find it for years,read about a bloke whos father in law and brother in law took a shot at him over an issue with his wife,like over a hundred years ago,so probably belted her or messed around on her whatever

shot missed and embedded in a tree,20 years later same dude decided to dynamite the same tree,same bullet blasted from the tree hitting him right between the eyes killing him instantly

tried to re find that same story a few times,never can,now reminded of it lol

What a weird comment. I’d love to know how many stars didn’t manage to get a Brownlow vote in their first two years of footy. I reckon there’d be quite a few.
OK so the Brownlow thing was a bit flippant & I regret mentioning it. The point I was trying to make is that it feels like he is someone who is a really nice size and plays a very attractive game, but he isn't impacting games of footy consistently enough to be handing over that sort of draft capital just yet. One first rounder (and extras) for sure, but two is putting a lot of faith in his development continuing, and compromises a couple of drafts.

For two firsts I'd want someone with some runs on the board and consistent ability to impact (e.g. Max Holmes). As appealing a prospect as FC is, he isn't at that level yet IMO, maybe and probably after next year he will be & we'll be paying up, but right now it would be too much of a gamble for my liking. At least it sounds like we will have another year to assess.

If that was the case why doesn’t Clark ever get subbed off?

Maybe its because his TOG has zero to do with his ability to run out games & everything to do with the role they want him to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but our team would be so much better if all 22 players were playing 100% gametime. Can you imagine how much an advantage having 4 extra players out there would be???

Also worth noting that his 2023 was crap for him compared with his previous career averages for virtually every stat.

In summary- he had a career worst year with us in 2023.
And then followed it up with an even worse year than that in 2024.

Meanwhile the bombers gave him such a big contract- that we got end of first round compo for him.

Gresh's one wood was his agility. At his absolute best he was hot stepping and breaking ankles for fun. He was never quick but his ability to change direction on a dime was ridiculous.

Sadly his achilles injury took that away.

But this line gives me great delight "That's like dodging a bullet and having that same bullet hit a moron (ie the bombers) smack bang in the breadbasket instead"

OK so the Brownlow thing was a bit flippant & I regret mentioning it. The point I was trying to make is that it feels like he is someone who is a really nice size and plays a very attractive game, but he isn't impacting games of footy consistently enough to be handing over that sort of draft capital just yet. One first rounder (and extras) for sure, but two is putting a lot of faith in his development continuing, and compromises a couple of drafts.

For two firsts I'd want someone with some runs on the board and consistent ability to impact (e.g. Max Holmes). As appealing a prospect as FC is, he isn't at that level yet IMO, maybe and probably after next year he will be & we'll be paying up, but right now it would be too much of a gamble for my liking. At least it sounds like we will have another year to assess.
I’ll put it this way. If a side wanted to push up high in the draft order they need to expect to give up good picks.

Callaghan was a pick 3 and hasn’t lost any value since. If you want to move up the draft to pick 3 you’d be expected to give up 2 firsts somewhere in the order.

And pick 3 would be even more of an unknown than Callaghan who seems to be tracking nicely.

Callaghan is just three seasons into his career. There aren’t too many mids that are dominating by that time outside a few freaks and Callaghan is still doing his apprenticeship mostly playing on the outside with GWS having a strong midfield.

Depending on where the two first fall you may get something back as well, but the two firsts are a starting point unless you were to hold a top 5 pick.

Something tells me you’ve never seen him play.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back