List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

damn thats gonna drive me crazy now,been trying to find it for years,read about a bloke whos father in law and brother in law took a shot at him over an issue with his wife,like over a hundred years ago,so probably belted her or messed around on her whatever

shot missed and embedded in a tree,20 years later same dude decided to dynamite the same tree,same bullet blasted from the tree hitting him right between the eyes killing him instantly

tried to re find that same story a few times,never can,now reminded of it l

The story of Henry Ziegland has been around for over 100 years and is one of the unluckiest, and most unbelievable, tales you will hear.

In 1905, the farmer, from Honey Grove, Texas, dumped his then girlfriend, Maysie Tichnor, who took the news incredibly badly and killed herself.

Angered by the way Henry had treated his sister, Maysie's brother took it upon himself to exact some revenge.

He went down to Henry's home and shot him before turning the gun on himself and taking his own life.

However, unbeknownst to the vengeful brother at the time, his first shot only grazed Henry, and instead landed in a tree behind him.

So far, it's a pretty tragic series of events, I think we can all agree.

Well, fast forward 20 years and Henry is out chopping some trees down on his land, but there's one he just can't budge because it's so big.

So instead of trying to axe it down as he usually would, he bored some holes in its trunk and packed it full of dynamite.

Now, while upon detonation the tree was blown to pieces, as planned, it also dislodged that bullet that had been sat there waiting for over two decades.

The explosion sent said bullet hurtling through the air, striking Henry in his temple and sadly killing him.

We have McRae heading across for inside work.
I’d be very surprised if we moved away from his current role - admittedly our midfield strength is nowhere near that of gws.
Talking long term, we’d 100% be getting him to play midfield, even if it takes a year or two to become full time.

His ceiling is higher than just about any mid on our list barring my boy the Pou

The mere mention of Max Holmes for 2 first rounders made me die a little inside

Freezing Major League Baseball GIF by MLB

I’ll put it this way. If a side wanted to push up high in the draft order they need to expect to give up good picks.

Callaghan was a pick 3 and hasn’t lost any value since. If you want to move up the draft to pick 3 you’d be expected to give up 2 firsts somewhere in the order.

And pick 3 would be even more of an unknown than Callaghan who seems to be tracking nicely.

Callaghan is just three seasons into his career. There aren’t too many mids that are dominating by that time outside a few freaks and Callaghan is still doing his apprenticeship mostly playing on the outside with GWS having a strong midfield.

Depending on where the two first fall you may get something back as well, but the two firsts are a starting point unless you were to hold a top 5 pick.
As soon as you walk through the door I think where you were picked becomes irrelevant. Not to say his value isn't around that mark, but being a pick 3 originally shouldn't impact how current value is perceived.

Apart from that I generally agree with what you're saying. Ultimately it does depend on what the actual picks are, which is the problem about talking about picks in terms of first/second rounders etc, it's not explicit enough. I was mainly thinking of the suggestion to trade 7+8 for him which is giving up too much for mine, but 17+18 I would, and 1+2 I'm not sure anyone would, and then there's everything inbetween. So yeah, I would trade pick 5, which in itself carries the value of two later firsts, but then it's a matter of what else they want.

Finn Callaghan for two first rounders? One for every goal he kicked this year. Never received a Brownlow vote. No denying that he is a beautiful player to watch & I would love him in our side but for that price it'd be whatever the opposite of Moneyball is

Got 20 coaches votes this year which would sit him 6th for us behind Marshall, Sincs, Steele, Nas, Wilks. By that measure he was their second best mid behind Green. Same age as Nas so fits nicely into our developing core. Two first rounders is a lot but I reckon he's a monty to be a very good player at least, so I'd probably pay it.

Cool your jets people. The Callaghan story is in relation to next season.

If we could convince GWS that he's a monty to move next year then they'd probably trade him this year, get the picks earlier. This is why it makes sense to start backgrounding media earlier rather than later.

The mere mention of Max Holmes for 2 first rounders made me die a little inside
22yo who'll probably win the B&F for a team that's in a prelim, must almost be the quickest player in the comp, only eight months older than Callaghan and played many more good games, but hey I guess he wasn't a top 3 pick so can't be worth as much

Hawks hate us mate. They want us to disappear. It’s a pretty big 12-24 months for us.
I wouldn't worry about them and their tip off the back road.

The club has done a magnificent job connecting the new facility to the local community and making sure it will be the heart of bayside football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As soon as you walk through the door I think where you were picked becomes irrelevant. Not to say his value isn't around that mark, but being a pick 3 originally shouldn't impact how current value is perceived.

Apart from that I generally agree with what you're saying. Ultimately it does depend on what the actual picks are, which is the problem about talking about picks in terms of first/second rounders etc, it's not explicit enough. I was mainly thinking of the suggestion to trade 7+8 for him which is giving up too much for mine, but 17+18 I would, and 1+2 I'm not sure anyone would, and then there's everything inbetween. So yeah, I would trade pick 5, which in itself carries the value of two later firsts, but then it's a matter of what else they want.
What about 7 & 8 for Callaghan and 14?
The AFL had better give us Band 1 for Battle. It’s being used in about 297 hypothetical trades.

Time will tell, I’ll be very surprised if we would be offering him a 700k contract. There will be half a dozen other Melbourne clubs desperate to lure him and we have cash to burn.

And if it’s this year (which it won’t be), Giants aren’t even going to entertain pick 24 and a future first for a contracted 21 year old former number 3 that looks like he’s ready to explode.
More close to 7.5million for 6 years

I wouldn't worry about them and their tip off the back road.

The club has done a magnificent job connecting the new facility to the local community and making sure it will be the heart of bayside football.
Hawthorn will have a bigger and dare I say better facility 5 minutes down the road.

Set up for immediate onfield success.

If we (the club) want to talk about being a Geelong like club with the pull to lure players back to their suburban roots - then we would be stupid to ignore what Hawthorn is doing on our door step.

Dingley wasn’t some random shit hole they chose. They could have gone further east from Hawthorn. It was a very strategic move to position itself in the heartland of AFL talent factories of the last 10-15 years.

The 2 dominant talent programs in that time?

Sandringham and Oakleigh.

Hawthorn will have a bigger and dare I say better facility 5 minutes down and the road.

If we (the club) want to talk about being a Geelong like club with the pull to lure players back to their suburban roots - then we would be stupid to ignore what Hawthorn is doing on our door step.

Dingley wasn’t some random shit hole they chose. They could have gone further east from Hawthorn. It was a very strategic move to position itself in the heartland of AFL talent factories of the last 10-15 years.

Not to mention the links to both U18 clubs from the APS, and the links to Hawthorn from a significant number of APS families.

Very calculated move on their part.

Hawthorn will have a bigger and dare I say better facility 5 minutes down and the road.

Yeah but Finn and his parents are saints supporters..

We desperately need the AFL to play ball and give us band 1 for Battle. If that happens we add two very high level mids at the draft then next year I’m happy to go shopping for established talent. We simply must first get some elite young mids through the door.
I'd be more than happy to ship off 2 1st's(2025 and 2026) next year for him and chase LDU as a FA. Then get back to drafting

Steele, Mcrae
Windy, Pou, Garcia, Wilson, Henry
7&8 this year as mids, Peckett
Callahan and LDU

rights the midfield situation in a big way

/wishful thinking tho/

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back