List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Me too- it's been the security blanket many have been hiding behind.

Meanwhile virtually half of our best 22 are 29+ next year.

I'm not sure how people expect us to be any closer to a flag than we are now when pou, wilson, owens etc are at the peak of their powers in 4-5 years.

They'll simply be replacing steele, sincs, marshall, wilkie etc (if they happen to actually make it to A grade level).

View attachment 2119406

There is no magical flag window opening up in 4-5 years time.

We may as well try and win one while our current best players are still in their prime in the next 3 years.
Sorry to break it to you mate, but that group is not taking us to a flag.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="Coconut_twirl" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
The price Port payed for Soldo was crazy. Port are going to expect more than a future third. Saints should walk away if it’s a second rounder.

Future third.

No more.

Couldn't agree more. From child care, wife / spouse / partner support services, financial advice, mental health, marriage / relationship counselling, employment services, spouse / partner career advice, family engagement etc all should be areas we are working to be best in class. This is not about being a nanny state, but about making our most valuable asset, our players, comfortable, happy and not wanting to go anywhere else. It takes every part of the club to be at our best, for us to secure that elusive second premiership.

One of my brothers (now retired) was a partner at a large international firm and they had a practice of having the parents, partners, spouses come in for a meeting every six months to discuss how their husband / partner / son / daughter was going, as to what are the next steps in their career, what they need to do to broaden their experience and skill level etc. It was rare for a young staff member to ever voluntarily leave, as they had the whole family invested in his / her career, development and path ahead.

All that we could do to make this a major part of our club, is a huge positive for recruitment and retaining our players.
Was it a law firm in Memphis?
The Firm?🫢🤔

Sorry to break it to you mate, but that group is not taking us to a flag.

If you believe that you should like the idea of shipping off marshall or sinclair then I reckon.

We're idiots for not entertaining trading one of those guys if we think like you, that our next flag is at least 5 years off.

I'm fine with either approach personally- roll the dice to win one in the next 3 years, or wait until the pou, wilson, owens etc class are 25+

But taking the gutless option of doing neither will be another textbook example of why we have 1 flag.

Me too- it's been the security blanket many have been hiding behind.

Meanwhile virtually half of our best 22 are 29+ next year.

I'm not sure how people expect us to be any closer to a flag than we are now when pou, wilson, owens etc are at the peak of their powers in 4-5 years.

They'll simply be replacing steele, sincs, marshall, wilkie etc (if they happen to actually make it to A grade level).

View attachment 2119406

There is no magical flag window opening up in 4-5 years time.

We may as well try and win one while our current best players are still in their prime in the next 3 years.
How old were Jeremy Howe, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Will Hoskin-Elliott, and Tom Mitchell last year?

The whole point of this 'refresh' is to peak and challenge for premierships when Nas/Owens/Pou etc are in their primes, while those you highlighted are there as veteran mentors. The premiership team will NOT be built around the guys you highlighted

Additionally, we already saw late in the season that Ross is keen to start phasing Webster out, while Doug's one-year deal is also a sign of him being toward the end. Membrey is also hardly best 22 anymore with King Hammer Sharman at full fitness + Keeler and Heath to hopefully develop with another pre-season so he probably won't even be at the club next year. So really, the 'old' guys will be Row, Steele, Sinc, Wilkie, Hill, and maybe Wood depending on how fast we develop

][emoji6][emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="hayes" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
I feel like he’s campaigning for the lesser compo the little prick. He’s really turned on us since Ross gave him a clip a while ago.

Correct.

Morris is a vituperative little campaigner.

If you believe that you should like the idea of shipping off marshall or sinclair then I reckon.

We're idiots for not entertaining trading one of those guys if we think like you, that our next flag is at least 5 years off.
I think they're trying to raise standards at the club, not lower them.

It's not as simple as a trading card game, although at this time of year it can feel like one.

This was the Tom Morris segment from this morning.

"Fate acompli" God footy journos can be w***ers, Tom you talk about sport for a living the word you were looking for was "guaranteed".

Anyway a pick in the 20s for Battle is really frustrating. I can't believe he's already an unrestricted free agent it's unreal there always seems to be a way for us to get screwed while North and GC get top 5 picks for sneezing.

If he was an 18 year old we wouldnt bat an eye
Therein lies the problem for Jack. He will be 29 at the start of next season, yet he's only played ten AFL games. That equation makes it hard to find a spot on the list for him unfortunately.

I say this as an unabashed fan - he's got more footy smarts than most players on an AFL list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Therein lies the problem for Jack. He will be 29 at the start of next season, yet he's only played ten AFL games. That equation makes it hard to find a spot on the list for him unfortunately.

I say this as an unabashed fan - he's got more footy smarts than most players on an AFL list.
It’s also part of the point about Soldo, he’s the same age.

I can’t say I understand the appeal at all, but whatever, if he costs **** all I don’t really care

How old were Jeremy Howe, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Will Hoskin-Elliott, and Tom Mitchell last year?
WHE and mitchell were 30 last year.
Howe and sidey were 32.
Pendles, a 400 game freak of nature, was 35.

In 5 years time, ALL of sinclair, steele, marshall and wilkie will be 33-35.

(Hill and wood 36 and 37).

The mafs doesn't add up.

Im not against getting another ruckman but I wonder what he is going to cost? It seems we are still paying for the past regimes terrible list management. We have known for years we will need another ruckman and had endless chances to pick one up at the draft/s. As an example Dante Visento will now become Ports backup ruckman, he was a Sandringham lad taken at #56 in 2021 draft. Now we will most likely pay overs for a contracted 28yo who was passed over by Sweet. Lets hope because Port will need points next year they will accept a pick from next years draft.

The old Saints ante 'buy high and sell low' lives on!
Hayden McLean taken from Sandy too. Joel Amarty was a Sandy Dragons boy...

WHE and mitchell were 30 last year.
Howe and sidey were 32.
Pendles, a 400 game freak of nature, was 35.

In 5 years time, ALL of sinclair, steele, marshall and wilkie will be 33-35.

(Hill and wood 36 and 37).

The mafs doesn't add up.
It'd take a major screw up for it to take 5 years. We should start contending in 2026 when the core are approaching 23-25

Higgins Clark Dow 27, Dow King Sharman Stocker will be 26, Henry Byrnes 25, Nas Windy Owens 23, Hammer Keeler 22, Pou 21 (but he plays beyond his years). Others will be 21ish (Wilson, Hugo, Arie, Hastie etc)

Add in someone like LDU/Brayshaw etc another in the 25-28 bracket. Plus the senior leaders. That's a good spread of players by age to start contending

There's another take from it. It shows how desperate we have been to land something significant for the midfield and just can't get it done even with huge money to people not at the absolute top end.

We just aren't attractive.
That’s assuming Tom Morris is correct, and I’m still not sure I believe it.
He’s good, but he’s not worth that.

I prefer to see my potential ruckman with their Mum before we recruit them

A reasonable request.

1AxPpRC.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back