List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, but read my bold. Twomey is now talking about what is expected. That’s a key phrase not used prior.

with the contract expected to be on the verge of the band on grading. That would hand the Saints picks No.7 and 8”
It's already been widely reported that the contract is borderline between band 1 and 2 which is why no journo can say what it will be. Thats not new information.

I'm okay with the Soldo recruitment as a Marshall support/back up as long as it comes at low cost and doesn't stymie the development of Heath and Keeler.
I agree with this and your concerns on Soldo, but I also don't know why Port would let him go for minimum chips, it leaves them with a 21yo Visentini as the primary backup for Sweet and puts them in a pretty similar situation to us at the moment (albeit Visentini is more advanced than Heath).

They may have erred by signing two number one rucks who can't play in the same side, but I don't think they undo that mistake by letting one go for basically nothing. I think they'll ask for a bit and I'm pretty worried by the noises being made that we'll be happy to pay it.

Im still not convinced Heath makes it at all. The club only gave him a 1 year contract for a reason and Keeler is more a key forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. IMO we have really missed the boat with recruiting other young ruckman (plural). The reliance on Marshall has been unhealthy since Ryder retired, we tried to recruit others eg Xerri and TDK but in the interim we should have been grabbing kids. The number of good young ruckman that can be had late in drafts even makes our list management look more stupid than it has been.
Heath is 2.05m and just about to turn 22 and by all accounts when given the role as ruckman when Campbell wasn't player did pretty well according to the reports.
For a kid so tall and raw you can expect him to need to development as in body and running ability.
We all know ruckmen or very few of them show much early , he will be no different.
The one year contract is a good move because it will keep him honest and if his efforts drop off they will give him the flick.

Being the tallest guy on our list and has raw talent to me he is not to be written off yet.

Keeler to me has the skills to be anything , being best mates with Nas will only help his work ethic , as you say his best position would be forward because he has already shown he can take contested pack marks and kick goals - standing at just under 2m tall he would make a ideal key forward.

But then again it's getting to the time they have to produce.

I agree with this and your concerns on Soldo, but I also don't know why Port would let him go for minimum chips, it leaves them with a 21yo Visentini as the primary backup for Sweet and puts them in a pretty similar situation to us at the moment (albeit Visentini is more advanced than Heath).

They may have erred by signing two number one rucks who can't play in the same side, but I don't think they undo that mistake by letting one go for basically nothing. I think they'll ask for a bit and I'm pretty worried by the noises being made that we'll be happy to pay it.
Really what is he worth , he has played 65games in 10 seasons - 8 this year and 8 the season before so a 3rd round pick at best - having a guy being led around by his instagram queen just shows the guy isn't to smart.
Having signed a 3 yr contract he should of committed to Port , who knows he might take off to the Gold Coast because his babe says its to cold in Melbourne.

I think they'll ask for a bit and I'm pretty worried by the noises being made that we'll be happy to pay it.

I agree with you that we wont get him for stuff all. But even if he costs say at worst a future second, i'm ok with it.

I think we will be a big improver next year- our future 2nd could be pick 30+ (before academy etc selections push it out to circa pick 40).

It will be great if port settle for less of course (maybe a 3rd rounder + hayes?)- but if they play hardball and are happy to keep him... im ok with paying a future 2nd personally.

I'm not in the Soldo fan club yet. I get the need to find a Roma back up and we have been blessed that he's managed to play just about every game since Ryder left.

IMO Soldo is a step up from TC - Just. Comments that he's a 100% improvement on Campbell are misguided. Be prepared to be disappointed if that's your opinion.

My biggest concern is the impact a player like Soldo will have on the futures of players like Heath and Keeler. I really wish we'd have given them a taste of senior footy late in the season when we started to get our act together.

I know those that watch a lot of Sandy will simply say they haven't done enough in the VFL but sometimes you've got to take the risk and let the young guys play with more experienced heads in the big time.

I've always thought if you wait for a player to knock the doors down playing at Sandy you'll wait a bloody long time. Senior players like Membrey, Clark, Jones, Dow and Butler hardly set the world on fire at Sandy.

I'm okay with the Soldo recruitment as a Marshall support/back up as long as it comes at low cost and doesn't stymie the development of Heath and Keeler.
I think you're being glass half empty on this one.
There's no guarantee either of Moose or Keeler will make it and we definitely need help for both Marshall and King and this does both.
We also need to crack on with becoming a contender. Natural development won't get us there in time.

Agree with this , but I'm wondering if they get Soldo they are writing off Hayes.
Because I have heard nothing about Hayes getting a contract and Paton another.
Seems strange because we are closing in on the trade period - is it because they know they are being moved on.
We've kept the guys that might have a spot of trade value or could get another year pending the trade/draft periods. Seems normal to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really what is he worth , he has played 65games in 10 seasons - 8 this year and 8 the season before so a 3rd round pick at best - having a guy being led around by his instagram queen just shows the guy isn't to smart.
Having signed a 3 yr contract he should of committed to Port , who knows he might take off to the Gold Coast because his babe says its to cold in Melbourne.
Port effectively paid 27 + 41 + 72 last year. I know that's completely irrelevant to any deal now but shows that it's been a seller's market for ready-made rucks to teams in need. They moved on Lycett, Teakle and Hayes in the one off-season, leaving the cupboard practically empty, and paid up accordingly.

Soldo might now be worth a 3rd round pick to someone, but on balance I struggle to see how he is worth that to us, I know others will disagree. IMO we already have an AA calibre ruckman who is much more threatening when he drifts forward on his opposite ruckman than when he is playing on a proper key defender.

There would be a few other doors I would knock on first to save draft capital or invest in younger players - Reidy / Knobel / Harry Boyd to take TC's place as a ready-made understudy at Sandy, or I'd be asking Nick Bryan how he feels about Goldstein signing on for yet another year. SDK the elephant in the room. Might as well see how big Preussy's body is feeling, when fit he is the highest HTA & metres gained ruckman going around. Not a big fan of Reeves but he would be bargain basement. And please keep Hayes if his knee is okay. From that list I guess it becomes apparent why Soldo has value in the market.

Bassat would be advocating very hard behind the scenes. This is why I’d be expecting band 1.

I agree with you that we wont get him for stuff all. But even if he costs say at worst a future second, i'm ok with it.

I think we will be a big improver next year- our future 2nd could be pick 30+ (before academy etc selections push it out to circa pick 40).

It will be great if port settle for less of course (maybe a 3rd rounder + hayes?)- but if they play hardball and are happy to keep him... im ok with paying a future 2nd personally.
Last years future 2nd is this years second and id be far from happy to give something like that up for a backup ruck in soldo. You lose a lot of oppurtunity giving up qa 2nd rounder. Henry sure but soldo no thanks.

Omg 😧
****en hilarious 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Soldi only wants to move to Melbourne because his glamour partner (previously pictured) considers Adelaide the most boring city in the world and won’t live there.
🥹😅😀😃😄😁😆😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Absolute Gold
Have you seen her and have you been to Adelaide.
If she wanted to move to the moon I would, and Adelaide is bloody boring.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back