List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a hidden “discount” in the whole FS/NGA pick trading scenario also. Clubs get 20% (soon to be 10%) discount. But also, when they put their early pick up for auction (such at GC likely trading out 12 this year). All clubs out forward their best offer which is a higher value pick set than the single early pick. So they might gain 20% extra in pick value from the trade, and then get a 20% discount as well.

Force them to have a pick in the same round and only use 1 other max to make up the value.

Also no need for academies. AFL should just fund them and the kids go into the pool. Northern clubs can pick locals if they want to remove go-home factor. AFL can pay the northern clubs to run the academies if they want, but there’s no need to give them the access to the kids. They can come home in the future if they want and pay fair value.
What are we achieving in having GC pay for and run the academy when AFL owns GC anyway?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

St Kilda also remains hopeful that Battle's move to Hawthorn could trigger the club Band 1 compensation, which would net the club the No.8 selection. – Riley Beveridge

I’ve been super confident that we are going to get band one. But I’m starting to think we’re not. I’m preparing the lube

On SEN they were saying we have the third most games played by our academy kids and one of the better academy zones. We might have just killed our golden goose by cracking the shits. We probably get Cam McKenzie's little brother and a few other good ones in the next few years.
We currently can't get them until pick 20 so if any good they will go somewhere else. If they are good from 2025 we pay the price and get a 10% discount.
Better deal than we currently have.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We currently can't get them until pick 20 so if any good they will go somewhere else. If they are good from 2025 we pay the price and get a 10% discount.

They are relaxing it next year I believe.

There is a hidden “discount” in the whole FS/NGA pick trading scenario also. Clubs get 20% (soon to be 10%) discount. But also, when they put their early pick up for auction (such at GC likely trading out 12 this year). All clubs out forward their best offer which is a higher value pick set than the single early pick. So they might gain 20% extra in pick value from the trade, and then get a 20% discount as well.

Force them to have a pick in the same round and only use 1 other max to make up the value.

Also no need for academies. AFL should just fund them and the kids go into the pool. Northern clubs can pick locals if they want to remove go-home factor. AFL can pay the northern clubs to run the academies if they want, but there’s no need to give them the access to the kids. They can come home in the future if they want and pay fair value.
What are we achieving in having GC pay for and run the academy when AFL owns GC anyway?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is very much undersold by the media and AFL as an advantage

Bring on the pile on I say - nothing gets changed unless you change it!!!

No issue with FS, just make the price fair!! This handful of junk picks for top 10 selections is bullshit, as is the unlimited locked away academies for Northern clubs, which is literally side-stepping the draft, and again allowing top end selections to be taken for a handful of junk picks !!

I don't mind the motivation factor of it either. We are never going to feel like a big club but harnessing the us against the system, David v Golliath thing, we might use it to fire us up.

This is very much undersold by the media and AFL as an advantage

The AFL love to over correct everything. North and GC got concessions years after they'd already done their bulk building. Nothing about getting more picks was getting them going quicker and encourages others to fall on their arses.

The northern states used to struggle to attract players and hold on to them. Funny enough when they play finals they are just as attractive if not more than Vic clubs. The Northern Academies were meant to make up for a loss of COLA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

900 × 5 = 4,500
750 × 1 = 750

Total over 6 = 5,250

Average = 875 per season

That is just a simple forward load

If it's over 5 it's a band 1.

If he takes 500k in the 6th, he would get 950k a year first 5.

Or do they average out the total contract value over 5 years?
6 year deal at 875 = 5.25m ÷ 5 = 1.050

The rumours around him are a worry.
Please, please, please stay away.
I think we will though.
Would be completely off our strategy and a risk I doubt we would want to take.
I mean I know we had enough of the choirboy thing, but this sounds like it’s completely off the charts.

Last edited:
So Perryman to the Pies I didn't see coming. Are they really saying he's on a bigger deal than Battle? Geez, all these multi millionaire bloody footy players all of a sudden, pretty crazy.
That’s unbelievable. They’ve just come out of a salary cap blow out. With Schulz being on way overs, you’d think they must be close to full capacity again. Albeit they will lose half their team in 12 months.

Theres a stack of ways to skin this cat better than the current.
They just have to want to. Or be made to want to.

That’s why you’d hope the other, disadvantaged clubs would be backing Bassat all the way.

yep that's how it works, and if 1st pick gets used up then it comes off of 2nd pick. But the points scale is wrong atm and it's what they, are fixing( hoping) next year, but doesn't address the discount
It seems that all they are doing is adjusting the points scale a bit. They need to stop this scrapping up 4 junk picks nonsense. I know that makes it a little tougher, but it will still be a bit of nonsense.

Edit: thanks Matt. Saw your response above. That’s better than perhaps I thought

Last edited:

Are you sure pick 20 is in place this year? Essendon are in line to get Kako who is rated around 15ish.

Just my thoughts now, I don't know whether my wires are crossed but I think Basset has the same thoughts as me and most of us Id say.

I just want a fair set up, it's rubbish that the premier gets the best kid in the country and also another first rounder for a bunch of average picks.

As for all of the comments about Roo's boys in 10 years time, we would still like access to them if they were to play. But I'd expect that the privilege of having a father son is simply getting the access. It's not free or discounted access, it never should've been - the perk is the first right of refusal at market rate.

So I genuinely think all of the thickheads in the AFL media have missed the point we are trying to make about fairness in an unfair system.

Tom Campbell should generate atleast band 2 compo

Just read on the AFL website that he’ll sign with the Dees and we won’t get any compo. I thought we needed late pics for getting points to match bids on Cole/Peckett etc. so shouldn’t we have kept TC and traded him to the Dees for late pick/s?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back