List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe how many oppo supporters completely are missing Bassetts' point.

We know we could have drafted Bont or Trac, (he literally mentions this in the speech) but that doesn't change the fact that a fairer price needs to be paid if you want your generational academy or father son

I love the father son rule, Elwood Peckett will win 3 norms but if he was a first rounder, I'd want us to have to pay a fair price, like anyone else

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
We better not have to pay some fair price in the future after all the other clubs have benefitted. It’ll be like the NGA all over again.

It’s actually a fair starting point. Might end up a future 3rd and 4th for their future 4th or some shit like that.
Which is far more logical for a bloke that has been injuried and when fit can't get in their side
In fact a fourth is fair
Done bugger all and seems more interestd in plastic tartars

Second
Lol

It seems that all they are doing is adjusting the points scale a bit. They need to stop this scrapping up 4 junk picks nonsense. I know that makes it a little tougher, but it will still be a bit of nonsense.
one of the media guys ran CG's haul of 4 before 25 from last year and without their traded-out picks, the best they could have done was 2 of the 4, and they weren't able to strengthen their 2025 haul of picks. The biggest thing for us I think is that we get access to the top 40 NGA picks again.

The AFL were never going to scrap the academies nor the F/S, so if they can stop the multiple 1st rounders and the trading out into the following year, then that's a win. and something to build upon.

I'm also pretty sure they are bringing back the picks used cant be more than list spots available rule which the abolished at some point

Are you sure pick 20 is in place this year? Essendon are in line to get Kako who is rated around 15ish.

Just my thoughts now, I don't know whether my wires are crossed but I think Basset has the same thoughts as me and most of us Id say.

I just want a fair set up, it's rubbish that the premier gets the best kid in the country and also another first rounder for a bunch of average picks.

As for all of the comments about Roo's boys in 10 years time, we would still like access to them if they were to play. But I'd expect that the privilege of having a father son is simply getting the access. It's not free or discounted access, it never should've been - the perk is the first right of refusal at market rate.

So I genuinely think all of the thickheads in the AFL media have missed the point we are trying to make about fairness in an unfair system.
the NGA exclusion has been removed from this draft to help Essendon I assume, with the points and other changes coming in next year to help Brisbane/Suns and Carlton

The other thing(s) about this is that

1 - Pity the media don't recognise who led the charge in getting these changes up. Bassat has been all over this from the start of the year all the way up to when the AFL announced the changes in August.

2 - the discount for F/S has now been cut from 20% to 10%.

So rather than having to find 2400 points to match a Pick 1, in 2026 clubs will need to find 2700 points with a reduced spread of picks available.

Then what needs to happen is for clubs to then not give the opposition a free hand out by not selecting the best player in the draft just because they are f/s or academy.
The Tiges will lead that second part they are ruthless.

Just read on the AFL website that he’ll sign with the Dees and we won’t get any compo. I thought we needed late pics for getting points to match bids on Cole/Peckett etc. so shouldn’t we have kept TC and traded him to the Dees for late pick/s?
He was delisted by North so has permanent free agent status and would have walked to them with no compo coming back anyway.

Weird night to go off about it speaking to the base. It's not exactly addressing the powerbrokers.
On the contrary I think it was a great move.

It seemed as if he was just speaking to the club faithful. And it was something we all loved to hear.

But he knew damn well the furore it would create in the broader industry. And let’s remember, any publicity is better than no publicity. He’s been talking about this all year. It’s not the first the AFL have heard about it, and now he’s placed the issue front and centre in the public eye.
And more, he said he’s not taking a backward step on it.

This guy didn’t build a multimillion dollar company by chance.
I think many of you underestimate him.

The concern with the Battle compo is we felt that we were in a bidding war but we obviously weren't. He ended up taking well under our offer. Can't see why the Hawks would have done us a solid and pushed it to band one.

I think our best chance is the AFL going "look he's one of their best players and they've put 8 years into him they deserve band one".

It seemed as if he was just speaking to the club faithful. And it was something we all loved to hear.

But he knew damn well the furore it would create in the broader industry. And let’s remember, any publicity is better than no publicity. He’s been talking about this all year. It’s not the first the AFL have heard about it, and now he’s placed the issue front and centre in the public eye.
And more, he said he’s not taking a backward step on it.

This guy didn’t build a multimillion dollar company by chance.
I think many of you underestimate him.
it helps that his brother is on the AFL commission

The concern with the Battle compo is we felt that we were in a bidding war but we obviously weren't. He ended up taking well under our offer. Can't see why the Hawks would have done us a solid and pushed it to band one.

I think our best chance is the AFL going "look he's one of their best players and they've put 8 years into him they deserve band one".
It was reporter by Ralph & Jay Clark yesterday that the offer was just under 900k over 6 years. So it’s not “well under”

If tony74 is correct and it’s a front loaded deal. Then it’s band 1.

If as I suspect there is as little as a 1% salary increase year to year as the cap raises 20% by the end of 2028.

Then the average is comfortably over 900k. Which means band 1

I’m now hoping this galvanises a real us against them mentality that we’re going to need to have. A rebellion of sorts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry lads, been out of action since I called battle a coward for not going to the best and fairest last night. Have since found out it was the clubs call, but he’s still a coward for leaving.
It was probably he didn't get on with someone at the club , was most probably the reason Gresham and Billings wanted out.
It happens , just move on

it helps that his brother is on the AFL commission
Probably helps as much as Gill (Saints fan) helped us when he was CEO.
Which, admittedly on the outside, looked like not very much indeed.

Bassats commitment to club, and doing everything he can to help us win a premiership is refreshing.
I couldn’t care less if other clubs supporters think he’s a sook. Every action reflects his level of care and ambition for the club and I ****ing love it
i think it is a stroke of genius.
He well knows the media will turn their noses up at his actions, and start virtue-signaling about his 'poor form'. Meantime, it gets more air time and the AFL has to listen. They are tarred a wee bit by the Bassat-brush, and rightly so.

Other clubs do what they can for leverage, and take any opportunity they can. We have to do this? So be it. Well done Bassat.

It was reporter by Ralph & Jay Clark yesterday that the offer was just under 900k over 6 years. So it’s not “well under”

If as I suspect there is as little as a 1% salary increase year to year as the cap raises 20% by the end of 2028.

If Tony74 says it’s band 1 you can put the house on it

A little bit more of the light hearted stuff after last nights B&F (another shout out to Wilkes....great stuff) and today's media firestorm over Prez's comments(love em) at the B & F.

I flipped over my 2024 Saints Calendar for October and felt like the hand of God had grabbed me by the throat.....and throttled hard.

Yep....there he was......Mr October was Mr Money bags aka Josh.

It's going to be a very very long month.

I couldn't help but wonder if the big fella upstairs is trying to tell me something....!!!

;););)

Where does anything state that the front or back end loading affects anything? Only the “average guaranteed base salary” is mentioned. Conflating the “5 years maximum consideration” and the loading is pure speculation, and would make the formula even more unfair. Two players of the same age getting exactly the same contract, with differing loading, would result in different compensation. Imagine the outrage at that?

Also, the yearly increase of 1% is complete guesswork and irrelevant. Future salary cap
Increase is not “guaranteed base salary”, and a contracts % of the salary cap currently, or in the future, is not part of the formula.

I know sometimes you have some ITK info, but you don’t need to try to know everything.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back