List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does anything state that the front or back end loading affects anything? Only the “average guaranteed base salary” is mentioned. Conflating the “5 years maximum consideration” and the loading is pure speculation, and would make the formula even more unfair. Two players of the same age getting exactly the same contract, with differing loading, would result in different compensation. Imagine the outrage at that?

Also, the yearly increase of 1% is complete guesswork and irrelevant. Future salary cap
Increase is not “guaranteed base salary”, and a contracts % of the salary cap currently, or in the future, is not part of the formula.

I know sometimes you have some ITK info, but you don’t need to try to know everything.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The average matters because the contract is supposedly over 6 years, but the AFL only measure up to 5 years. So if the sixth year is lower and some of that year is bumped into year one through year five, that inflates the average over the five year period that they measure - it helps us!

emoji639.png
[emoji[emoji6
emoji640.png
emoji638.png
]
emoji640.png
emoji640.png
][emoji[emoji6
emoji640.png
emoji638.png
]
emoji640.png
[emoji6
emoji640.png
emoji637.png
]]][emoji[emoji
emoji638.png
emoji639.png
[emoji[emoji6
emoji640.png
emoji638.png
]

Sorry CursingFijian you had me up to here & then I lost interest. 🥴
This some iOS18 vs Tapatalk anti Fijian matrix. Hopefully Chief and the crew get on top of it soon.

I'm shocked to be sitting here hearing you made a brash statement with scant regard as to facts and objective truth.

Season 9 Wow GIF by The Office
I’ll have you know that I have a great source that says he sleeps with the light on each night and has 4 sugars in his hot chocolate to make it sweeter

Its rises by 16.7%, not 20%. Also, if most clubs mirror the rise, then the increase makes 0% difference to the comparison to other players wages. That is simple mathematics.

You also noticeably didn’t address any of the other points.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sorry mate you are right it’s a 16.7% increase across 3 years and no, you are now wrong as the “900k” required for band 1 this season is based on the current wages for 2025.

So whatever salary increase factored in are already accounted for across the league.

Therefor the threshold Battle needs is the above mentioned 900k average across his deal at Hawthorn. This can be achieved by a built in increase across his deal on what is the starting point in year 1 - let’s say 875k (hypothetical- I have no idea what he is on).

I never made the original point. I mentioned who did. Ask them.

On the contrary I think it was a great move.

It seemed as if he was just speaking to the club faithful. And it was something we all loved to hear.

But he knew damn well the furore it would create in the broader industry. And let’s remember, any publicity is better than no publicity. He’s been talking about this all year. It’s not the first the AFL have heard about it, and now he’s placed the issue front and centre in the public eye.
And more, he said he’s not taking a backward step on it.

This guy didn’t build a multimillion dollar company by chance.
I think many of you underestimate him.

Bassat is smart.

Bassat is bloody ruthless.

I suspect the AFL, the media and other clubs have significantly underestimated him.

He won’t stop until he gets what is fair and equitable. The AFL may have now realised that it might be a good idea to work with him because he isn’t going away.

He is a magnificent President for our club. We are lucky to have him.

I always thought it did, but not according to this: https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/free-agency

Maybe the original formula took B&F and Brownlow finishes into account? Or did I just make that up?
I recall something like that back in the Dal Santo/BJ days.

Edit: I can't find anything online confirming this. There is however information about B&F finishes relating to matching a FA contract offer, which is what we may be getting mixed up with.

Last edited:
Where does anything state that the front or back end loading affects anything? Only the “average guaranteed base salary” is mentioned.

I think it just that if "Hawthorns offer is front loaded" and that combined with " Band 1 compensation is based on the first 5 years" it is then thought that this may get the 5 year average over the $900K average, even though the 6 year (contract length ) average may be under $900K.

So the average being based on 5 years, rather than 6, in this case makes it more likely that we get Band 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a tribal note, can you imagine the abuse Battle is going to get from Saints supporters if we don't get a band 1 compo. It will be epic supporters will turn up to the game just to give him a spray. Our games against Hawthorn might end up like their old games against Essendon.
BRING BACK THE BIFF!

The average matters because the contract is supposedly over 6 years, but the AFL only measure up to 5 years. So if the sixth year is lower and some of that year is bumped into year one through year five, that inflates the average over the five year period that they measure - it helps us!
But what St Laz is saying is that these are two different things.

1. Length of contract: 5 years gets you max points
2. Contract $ average

I’ve not seen anything saying one way or the other that the average is the full length of the contract or if it’s aligned with the length criteria at 5 years. But it may be specified, I’m not sure.

But what St Laz is saying is that these are two different things.

1. Length of contract: 5 years gets you max points
2. Contract $ average

I’ve not seen anything saying one way or the other that the average is the full length of the contract or if it’s aligned with the length criteria at 5 years. But it may be specified, I’m not sure.
That was my take as well. Contract length is one criteria (up to 5 years max) and average annual wage another. Two separate criteria.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back