List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure they do some ‘under-the-table’ deals in trades like these too. Real estate, school fees?, cars, time shares, free Christmas pudding, my imagination knows no bounds when it comes to clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong, golf club memberships, picnics, sausages and sandwiches….
I know a guy who played for North Ringwood years ago and got paid in pizza vouchers. Keep an eye on your local Domino's store.

Though the articles claims that St Kilda and GWS exploited:

""Battle and Perryman are signing contracts based on the 2025 cap, which went up by 12.6% compared to the 2024 cap, but they’re being measured against deals under the 2024 cap.

How so?
  • The Hawks and the Pies set the $$$ contract amount...not St Kilda and GWS
  • Both Battle and Perryman were UFA, so St Kilda and GWS could not match the $$$ to force a trade.
  • I doubt GWS would have paid Perryman anywhere near what he the Pies are paying him.
  • In St Kilda's case we offered more, but Battle still went (Though may have been front end loaded so that initially Hawks deal may have netted him more)

Now maybe, just maybe one could argue that the Saints pre-season where always going to let Battle go, and so did not stump up a high $$$ offer till later. But they still did.

I’m happy we got the best result but it’s nothing if we don’t replace him with an equal player or an upgrade. It’s like getting excited when you have walked out to the car to go on a long trip.
****, I hope you don't keep any rope at your joint..........

""Battle and Perryman are signing contracts based on the 2025 cap, which went up by 12.6% compared to the 2024 cap, but they’re being measured against deals under the 2024 cap.

How so?
  • Both Battle and Perryman were UFA, so St Kilda and GWS could not match the $$$ to force a trade.
  • I doubt GWS would have paid Perryman anywhere near what he the Pies are paying him.
  • In St Kilda's case we offered more, but Battle still went (Though may have been front end loaded so that initially Hawks deal may have netted him more)

Now maybe, just maybe one could argue that the Saints pre-season where always going to let Battle go, and so did not stump up a high $$$ offer till later. But they still did.
I’d say it’s poorly written.

I just have 1 final thought with free agency compensation.

Media and fans and nuffies alike whine that Battle isn’t worth pick 8 wah wah wah.

The AFL didn’t rate Battle as pick 8 they rated Battle as first round compensation.

If we finished 4th and that pick was pick 15 and Battle was top 3 in the best and fairest would people carry on wah wah wah Battle isn’t worth pick 15.

Of course they wouldn’t people wouldn’t give a stuff and let’s be honest if your compo is pick 2 or pick 10 or even pick 18 it’s all exactly the same it’s a first round compensation pick based on your ladder position.

So all the w***ers out there whinging and moaning that Battle isn’t worth pick 8, yes he is, he is 100% worth pick 8 due to our ladder position

Nuffies piss me off.

Last edited:

How so?

If they want an example of how compensation is exploited, go look at Gresham last year. We openly exploited that deal.

But this one, they should focus on why Hawks and Pies are paying so much for their players instead of trying to blame the clubs they are leaving.

If they want an example of how compensation is exploited, go look at Gresham last year. We openly exploited that deal.

But this one, they should focus on why Hawks and Pies are paying so much for their players instead of trying to blame the clubs they are leaving.
Tried and failed to exploit that deal

If his family is the main point he wants to run with then taking less pay these days simply doesn’t make sense
Depends what other “incentives” they are offering…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still exploited it a bit. Our threats meant Essendon structured the deal to get us that end of first round instead of 2nd round.
Yeah but the exploitation was getting band 1 taking on Shiel and sending our second rounder back along with Gresh.

The AFL canned it. Apparently that’s crossing the line but Bowes and pick 7 for nothing isn’t.

I think it is averaged over 6 years. 875k average but front loaded over the 5 to get us band 1.
I think the clickbait journo's twist the truth for the headline, something like, Hawks 6 year average 875k, Saints offer 950k for the first year so headline is

HAWKS OFFER LESS THAN SAINTS.

Disregarding the detail.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still don't think they did us any favors. If its front loaded its because it suits them.

Why are we talking about a Hawthorn player? Enough of this nonsense

EoUNSSC.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back