List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is absolutely no way Essendon don't match a bid for Kako for a number of reasons.

1. It has been sold to Kako and his family for months
2. Essendon have been going very hard on selling him to the Essendon supporter base
3. They need to regain the confidence of said fan base after the miserable drafting trading and continued failure of the football team to make finals
4. Even though Dodoro has left, his DNA, like Sheedy's DNA in the coaching dept, has embedded itself and the Essendon recruiting team will be looking for the big headline and big 'win' (because of the above three points).

I reckon by all means we should threaten to bid on Kako and eat up their pick 9. Alternatively they get enough points for Kako and delay their frpd until next year when they will have their own and ours. It could even potentially end up 7 & 8 like ours in this draft and they could potentially split one and have more frdps.
The only problem would be if Essendon were too stupid to realise this and burn their pick 9 on Kako and miss out on a frdp in the future. I mean if they are anywhere near as stupid as their supporters were over the potential Sheil trade last year, they veery may do so.
It's been sold to him because they wouldn't be thinking that a country will bid high on him just for the sake of it.

At the end of the day you need to pick the best player available, especially that high in the draft.

I'd be pissed as a supporter if it happened to us and we chose a player just because of sentiment and not picking the best player.

I think there's zero chance we bid on him that high unless we actually rate him in the top 8/9 players. It's a crazy risk just to make a club pay up.

It's been sold to him because they wouldn't be thinking that a country will bid high on him just for the sake of it.

At the end of the day you need to pick the best player available, especially that high in the draft.

I'd be pissed as a supporter if it happened to us and we chose a player just because of sentiment and not picking the best player.

I think there's zero chance we bid on him that high unless we actually rate him in the top 8/9 players. It's a crazy risk just to make a club pay up.
Guess who was the list manager?

1728275277803.png

He has been in their academy since he was 12.

They will match a bid and they will be furious about the Battle compo.

With only 1 pick you can argue any threat isn’t realistic from us.

But with 2 picks and we can still grab a mid and take the best small forward likened to Nick Watson in this draft.

Riley Beveridge said his draft range was 10-15.

9 isn’t a huge reach in the scheme of it.
So in that situation as I said, if they dont lose it (pick 9) they need to use it.

No skin off our nose,

Scenario 1) pick 7 best mid, pick 8 Kako, we keep next years frdp and this years second. Essendon keep pick 9 but lose Kako
Scenario 2)pick 7 best mid, pick 8 another mid, we keep next years frdp and this years second. Essendon match with pick 9. Get Kako lose frdp
Scenario 3) trade 9 for F1 and current 2nd. Saints have 7+8+9. Bombers keep frdp (but in future draft) and have points for Kako. Nobody loses.

The draft should be next week and then trading still possible a few days later with new draftees tradeable. Would make it easier for teams to get what they want.

My first thought was- eww no... that would make it a ridiculous circus.

But then I remembered... it already is one.

A little more petrol on an existing dumpster fire isn't the end of the world!

I like it- kinda like the kris kringle setup where you get a chance to steal/swap someone elses gift that they already have.
Haha.

So in that situation as I said, if they dont lose it (pick 9) they need to use it.

No skin off our nose,

Scenario 1) pick 7 best mid, pick 8 Kako, we keep next years frdp and this years second. Essendon keep pick 9 but lose Kako
Scenario 2)pick 7 best mid, pick 8 another mid, we keep next years frdp and this years second. Essendon match with pick 9. Get Kako lose frdp
Scenario 3) trade 9 for F1 and current 2nd. Saints have 7+8+9. Bombers keep frdp (but in future draft) and have points for Kako. Nobody loses.
Pretty much.

Look they could trade 9 to any club. The point is that they can’t take a first rounder until after the bid is made.

You would hope we make it work

I think there is absolutely no way Essendon don't match a bid for Kako for a number of reasons.

1. It has been sold to Kako and his family for months
2. Essendon have been going very hard on selling him to the Essendon supporter base
3. They need to regain the confidence of said fan base after the miserable drafting trading and continued failure of the football team to make finals
4. Even though Dodoro has left, his DNA, like Sheedy's DNA in the coaching dept, has embedded itself and the Essendon recruiting team will be looking for the big headline and big 'win' (because of the above three points).

I reckon by all means we should threaten to bid on Kako and eat up their pick 9. Alternatively they get enough points for Kako and delay their frpd until next year when they will have their own and ours. It could even potentially end up 7 & 8 like ours in this draft and they could potentially split one and have more frdps.
The only problem would be if Essendon were too stupid to realise this and burn their pick 9 on Kako and miss out on a frdp in the future. I mean if they are anywhere near as stupid as their supporters were over the potential Sheil trade last year, they veery may do so.
Also massive reason is what not matching will do for their future academy players. What does it say to kids who potentially want to sign up to the Dons academy if the club won't match a bid on you, potentially sending you to another club on the other side of the country?

They'll match I think, but let's also be realistic - they're not going to give up a tonne just to "get ahead" of the Kako bid. If they are forced to pay too much they will just cop taking Kako at 9. I'm yet to see a realistic trade between us and Essendon that doesn't end up with us making off with a king's ransom for not much in return.

In any case, what is stopping Melbourne from doing exactly the same as us? Kako probably fits more of a need for the Dees with Pickett potentially leaving this year or next, so a bid there makes more sense. If anything Essendon will be trading up to get Melbourne's pick, not St Kilda's

If Dogs are going to play Macrae mainly out of position in their forwardline they'd be better off saving the dollars and getting Membrey.

I love these 2, but we'd have Langford, Smillie, Pou and Owens - it feels like one too many 190+ not so zippy talls in there.
Yep not a fan of that mix, but they could be two that get through. If we get 9 it would change the dynamic quite a bit because we really should take a tall with one of the three if we’re suddenly down to a couple of later picks for this year and next year.

I reckon we'll take our best available mid at #8 (9)

and then

Ask for more time.

Then place a bid on Lombard.

Which GC will match with a glare our way.

and then ask for more time to make the dopers sweat out some WD-40 or whatever they've injected this off season.

and then offer to take pick 10 (11) off them for a pittance.

You can fill in the gaps after that.

-----

If Lombard was available in the open draft we'd be all over him at one of our picks.

The way the game is going having multiple small forwards is a must and Kako is absolute dynamite...

idk, then you get those super awkward situations where the young draftees do all the media and stuff about how pumped they are to be at club x, only to be traded to club y a few days after... it's pretty yuck imo, NBA does it i think (mikal bridges in philly for example)
Can you imagine how much I love life being a Saints and Philly fan?

Honestly the sixers are the only other sporting organisation that I know who have had as bad a mixture of incompetence and insane bad luck.

Also massive reason is what not matching will do for their future academy players. What does it say to kids who potentially want to sign up to the Dons academy if the club won't match a bid on you, potentially sending you to another club on the other side of the country?

They'll match I think, but let's also be realistic - they're not going to give up a tonne just to "get ahead" of the Kako bid. If they are forced to pay too much they will just cop taking Kako at 9. I'm yet to see a realistic trade between us and Essendon that doesn't end up with us making off with a king's ransom for not much in return.

In any case, what is stopping Melbourne from doing exactly the same as us? Kako probably fits more of a need for the Dees with Pickett potentially leaving this year or next, so a bid there makes more sense. If anything Essendon will be trading up to get Melbourne's pick, not St Kilda's
Fair points.

Saint future frdp (probably top ten) plus this years second (for enough points for Kako) is not unreasonable, just moves their first to next year meaning they will have two relatively high frdp's in 2025. Why throw away a first round draft pick? As I said no skin off our nose, they don't want to trade we keep future round 1 dp plus this years second.

As for Melbourne, currently they have pick 5 and then pick 40. Kako is not a top 5 pick so I reckon they would call their bluff. We have two picks a bit later which would be much more reasonable.

Melbourne could only offer a frdp plus picks in the 40's. We can offer frdp and a pick in the 20's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a different note, nice to have someone in our corner on trade Radio for a change. Hanners has been very fair on the Saints, even when telling about his time there and how from a commercial basis the Saints were right to not go with him in year 5 as he was playing 4 or 5 games a year.

The analysis he did of the list and where we are headed was really fair while not being OTT.

A nuffie rang and said he wanted Richmond to trade for Owens.

Guess who was the list manager?

View attachment 2134238
Please do it SOS & Dalrymple. If Essendon don't match taking kako isn't a terrible outcome he is the best small forward in the draft and very exciting player to watch. Full support behind them bidding and threatening to bid.

It was Silvagni, and he bidded on him because he had him as the best available on the board, not because he just wanted to force Freos hand. He's spoken about it on trade radio previously.
When list managers give interviews it is nothing more than PR.

I don't know whether SOS wanted Henry or not, but I do know that if he made the bid just to screw with Freo he wouldn't announce it on Trade Radio.

If Dogs are going to play Macrae mainly out of position in their forwardline they'd be better off saving the dollars and getting Membrey.

I love these 2, but we'd have Langford, Smillie, Pou and Owens - it feels like one too many 190+ not so zippy talls in there.
I agree, it is throwing forward line out trying to rotate those guys through there as it is.

A big mid that can’t break from stoppage is just more of what we already have. We need prospects that have either class or genuine power.

lol, then it cost us nothing in the end to get Henry.

Anybody knocking Kako hasn't seen him play. Could be another Watson very very easily.
Twomey has said on Gettable several times that Kako is a gun,and I only had him at 14&15,,because this is a super draft and I do rate the players above him slightly higher.Thats how good this Draft is

The brain fades on TR still crying like slapped bItches over Battles compo. Can't stand that Johnson idiot whinging about it
Cordy x 2
Wallis
Libratore
West
Kamis
Darcy
All for bugger all

JUH no.1 NGA.

Now that Purle idiot is about to tear into the Saints for recontracting Max King. Guy needs to get back to his and choomah's favourite Thai massage rub and tug to squeeze the pus out. Guy really needs a release.

No skin off our nose,

FWIW, I was told on Saturday that we are after the Giants picks 15 and 16 for our pick 8, my spy told me it’s genuinely the best draft since the Judd draft. If so, that beats the King draft, let’s hope we don’t pick the next Luke Molan!

Since that convo, the rumours about picks 2 and 3 have been floated in the media, will be interesting to hear what he/ she says, but I think that would probably not be for public consumption.

The other thing of course is live trading on the draft night, anything can and will happen.

You couldn’t make this shit up.
Everyone is having a massive sook about a team who has won a single solitary premiership losing one of their top three players and getting first round compensation.
In the meantime the spooners are having their number one pick being pushed back by the premiers.
What a joke of a system.
Love it. Love the salt.
The most unsuccessful team ever and they hate it.
Us against them.
😍😃

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back