List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

The incentive for us is to hit the super draft with three early picks and to expedite bringing in elite talent.

The front end of this one isn't super but the depth of talent is. It's one you'd love 5 or 6 picks inside 30 more that 3x top 10s IMO. Good players will still come after 30 even.

Can’t jump, gets vertigo standing of the first step. Seriously this guy must have remarkable judgement given his shortcomings but it’s very hard to see him as anything other than a vfl player.
His deficiencies were clear at VFL level on VFL forwards. Surely there is someone better out there to take a chance on than a downgraded version of Cordy. Even a Marchbank type as a DFA would be a better option.

The front end of this one isn't super but the depth of talent is. It's one you'd love 5 or 6 picks inside 30 more that 3x top 10s IMO. Good players will still come after 30 even.
It depends where the top 30 picks are. 7,8,9 is almost the perfect sweet spot if you want 3 gun mids (unless you have 3 of the top 4 picks which is unrealistic) because you get a couple sliders and get to pick from the best of the next group

5 inside 30, if its something like 7,15,16,2x20s as a club needing mids, isnt very good

Its essentially asking would you rather: 3 of Smillie/Langford/Lindsay/Travaglia/Tauru/Reid OR hypothetically a Smillie/Allan/Berry/Hynes/Hannaford quintet

Bare in mind list spots are an issue with Cole/Peckett/Hofmann/Sandy all likely to come in

Do we not already have Cordy fitting that description of Phillips ?

I would rather roll the dice on someone more like one of the other 2
Phillips is significantly taller and is much stronger in the air.

He is incredibly slow though.

Anyone who thinks we should abandon the idea of getting two Top 10 midfielders for the sake of a potential Nick Watson v2.0 clearly hasnt watched many of our games this year.

This is one of those BigFooty tropes. We have needed mids for years but judging it off 2024 is probably not ideal. We had injury to every mid and despite having numbers we still ran out. We had added quality depth already and drafted them.

Windhager
Steele
Phillipou
Garcia
Clark
Dow
Jones
Lose Ross and Crouch.

Gain Macrae and draftees.

Then Henry and Wilson types that can play wing on top of Byrnes, Wood and Hill types already on the wing and Hall in reserve.

To me you can play three full time on ballers with a couple on the bench at a pinch. The others have to then push out Stocker and Sinclair for HB spots, Owens, Snags types for forward flanks. I really doubt that we have another year with all of our mids injured. To me we are probably going to chase another established elite mid and we will start to need HB runners and talls. Sincs and Hill are ageing and in a few years will need kids to take over.

Travaglia and Tauru types might be just as good if the best mids are already gone. Gross with a second rounder and Peckett maybe add to the pool.

I'd like to use our second rounder on Moraes, Simms or Faull as well though.

It depends where the top 30 picks are. 7,8,9 is almost the perfect sweet spot if you want 3 gun mids (unless you have 3 of the top 4 picks which is unrealistic) because you get a couple sliders and get to pick from the best of the next group

5 inside 30, if its something like 7,15,16,2x20s as a club needing mids, isnt very good

Its essentially asking would you rather: 3 of Smillie/Langford/Lindsay/Travaglia/Tauru/Reid OR hypothetically a Smillie/Allan/Berry/Hynes/Hannaford quintet

Bare in mind list spots are an issue with Cole/Peckett/Hofmann/Sandy all likely to come in

How many mids are you going to play in one side though?

It's one of those trade offs. Do you play the slow guy with one above average talent or the average all-rounder.

I'm watching the Footy Furnace Trade Edition on Ch9.

Damien Barrett is on there and straight away he rips into us "St Kilda getting pick 8 for Josh Battle is a joke".

The only joke is you Damo you f***wit, you should be thrown into the footy furnace and never seen again.
Didn’t his Roos get kissed on the D last year with compo..??

This is one of those BigFooty tropes. We have needed mids for years but judging it off 2024 is probably not ideal. We had injury to every mid and despite having numbers we still ran out. We had added quality depth already and drafted them.

Windhager
Steele
Phillipou
Garcia
Clark
Dow
Jones
Lose Ross and Crouch.

Gain Macrae and draftees.

Then Henry and Wilson types that can play wing on top of Byrnes, Wood and Hill types already on the wing and Hall in reserve.

To me you can play three full time on ballers with a couple on the bench at a pinch. The others have to then push out Stocker and Sinclair for HB spots, Owens, Snags types for forward flanks. I really doubt that we have another year with all of our mids injured. To me we are probably going to chase another established elite mid and we will start to need HB runners and talls. Sincs and Hill are ageing and in a few years will need kids to take over.

Travaglia and Tauru types might be just as good if the best mids are already gone. Gross with a second rounder and Peckett maybe add to the pool.

I'd like to use our second rounder on Moraes, Simms or Faull as well though.
We still need mids. Dow, Jones, Clark aren't taking us to the promised land.

AND IT STARTS AGAIN ....

Go and have a relaxing long dump .... without a device to distract .... come back to my device .... 10 new pages posted in the Trade Thread ..... spend the next 30mins trawling through absolute trash trade scenario shite without any real news

JUST STOP IT YOU KEYBOARD HAPPY CAMPAIGNERS

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints fans really are the most reasonable fanbase. Most club's forums are filled with one-sided trade deals where they're getting Harley Reid for the likes of Sam Frost and Seamus Mitchell.

Not us though. Here we come up with pick swaps that screw us and help a club we hate to get their academy kid.

How many mids are you going to play in one side though?
I'm happy to take 2 mids and Tauru with 7,8,9

Round 1: Steele Macrae Windy Pou Clark

Start Smillie in the VFL while Travaglia/Lindsay/Langford could easily play round 1 in outside roles over Byrnes

Tauru in the Battle role, Membrey role, or plays VFL to start

By season's end, hopefully Smillie is best 22 and Tauru has played 10+ games. Both could easily play the 2023 Pou role at 194cm and 193cm

We still need mids. Dow, Jones, Clark aren't taking us to the promised land.

They'll get pushed out as we go though. Those guys are just depth if they can't step up. Dow and Clark still have potential best 22 talent.

The idea of 7, 8 and 9 appeals to me more than trading up higher into the top 10. Why trade up for a guy we may still have access to at 7? The amount of times the predicted draft order has changed in phantom drafts and in the media narrative seems more this year than the last few years. Jagga Smith was being talked up as #1 or Levi Ashcroft, now Sam Lalor, who was rated towards our current picks in the middle of the year by a few, is being talked up as #1 for Richmond.

Gimme 3 bites of the top 9 rather than 2 at a higher pick/s. Lalor, Draper, Smith, Smillie, O'Sullivan, Langford, Reid, Ashcroft, Trainor all getting jumbled around in order over the last 6 months. Now guys like Tauru, Kako and Allan supposedly rising up the rankings. Who's to say our 4th favourite player won't be there at #7?

Honestly, it seems like the biggest obstacle to us getting Essendon's pick 9 is the obvious fact that other clubs would want it too if Essendon concede Kako will get a bid in the top 9 (after Ashcroft's selection). 7, 8 and 9 would be the best draft hand we've had in a decade probably, the best since the 2014 draft (1, 21, 22) or the 2017 draft (7, 8). I am all in on this 7, 8, 9 chat.

Bolded and italicized? ****, that bad?

The idea of 7, 8 and 9 appeals to me more than trading up higher into the top 10. Why trade up for a guy we may still have access to at 7? The amount of times the predicted draft order has changed in phantom drafts and in the media narrative seems more this year than the last few years. Jagga Smith was being talked up as #1 or Levi Ashcroft, now Sam Lalor, who was rated towards our current picks in the middle of the year by a few, is being talked up as #1 for Richmond.

Gimme 3 bites of the top 9 rather than 2 at a higher pick/s. Lalor, Draper, Smith, Smillie, O'Sullivan, Langford, Reid, Ashcroft, Trainor all getting jumbled around in order over the last 6 months. Now guys like Tauru, Kako and Allan supposedly rising up the rankings. Who's to say our 4th favourite player won't be there at #7?

Honestly, it seems like the biggest obstacle to us getting Essendon's pick 9 is the obvious fact that other clubs would want it too if Essendon concede Kako will get a bid in the top 9 (after Ashcroft's selection). 7, 8 and 9 would be the best draft hand we've had in a decade probably, the best since the 2014 draft (1, 21, 22) or the 2017 draft (7, 8). I am all in on this 7, 8, 9 chat.

Bolded and italicized? ****, that bad?
Would 100% dangle that pick 9 in front of GWS.

I love the romanticism of drafting Peckett cos we’re all hanging out for a good FS to come along, but based on the highlights package I saw of him, kicking isn’t his strong point to say it nicely. Can that be trained at AFL level? I don’t think so. For me he’s a rookie pick at best.

Hoffman I’ve never seen play.

Cole is a definite yes for me.

We don’t want to get too smart by halves, so I reckon we use 7 and 8 unless a club comes to us with a ripper deal that we can’t refuse.

Thank you, this makes so much more sense than any convoluted trades involving our future first and pick 26.

When we get to pick 8, Essendon have a choice:

Kako and Pick 8
Or
Kako and next years 2nd rounder

They can't have all 3.
I'd rather have pick 7,8,9 this year. It really depends who is left on the board but trading back 1 spot at 8 could be pretty dumb. I'd hate to see Essendon grab someone who we could have got and then turn into a star.

Issue is do we have the list space for 7,8,15,16,26,Cole,Peckett,Hofmann,Sandy? Probably not with Crae and Soldo coming in too
Yes we do.
Because if we are able to secure 4x 1stRDPs then who honestly GAF about the others.

In reality both Peckett and Hoff are very likely to slip through, which would mean we could get them all as Hoff goes to cat B.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back