List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Gets lost in traffic. I tend to agree.
Given what he's been through this year we haven't seen his best. Hopefully he returns to beast mode next season and the speculation goes away. I think the kid just needs a serve of self belief and he'll be apples.
He doesn’t understand starting positions, he has poor hands in general play/stoppages, he has a poor tank, doesn’t man up, doesn’t run 2 ways and has a sub standard ball drop that would see him get holding the ball a lot…for a start. These star mids have been training/coached how to play in The midfield for 10 years of juniors. It’s not something that you can just start because you have size.

He’s a mark and kick, high pressure medium forward…and could be very good at it

You’d hope so.
At this stage it’s probably bluster though.
He’ll fold. What a way to treat a long time player at your club who has not been played and requested to move.
Terrible look.
Also a waste of $$$

You’d hope so.
At this stage it’s probably bluster though.
He’ll fold. What a way to treat a long time player at your club who has not been played and requested to move.
Terrible look.
Requested a move after being told he's free to look around even. Hopefully it's just bluster but there is something rotten at the kennel atm.

Macrae would be nice but if Bulldogs are playing hardball you just say not interested and move on.

We are not winning a premiership in the next 2 years.

Would rather save the headaches go to the draft take best mids available and develop our own than deal with clubs trying to "Win" a trade.
And they end up with a disgruntled Lobster 🦞
And nobody wants a disgruntled Lobster 🦞

Next year we lose a FRDP we need to replace it and that always costs overs. Happy to just take what we have. The draft is deep rather than a spectacular top end. 27 should still be a good player. Guys like Jack Ough, Simms, Faul etc all around that pick. Could end up the best in the draft types.
There is roughly 1-5 academy kids that could go in the top 10 next year.

If there was 2 and we finished 8th. That would give us P13 in a draft that doesn’t seem to have the depth of talent this one does.

P9 or 11 in this draft is giving you a very nice blue chip talent, aswell as projecting to give us a player in a position of need.

Seemingly only taking 3 “Live” picks would mean that it would be in our benefit to upgrade P27, which as it stands won’t come in on draft night.

Essendon BF are convinced Kako does not get bid on... willing to field offers at the bid. Their list manager disagrees ;)
They're still in stage 1 - denial.

Fact is that as a footy club we need to be ruthless and make other clubs pay fair value for their academy picks, just as I expect they would do to us. No reason we shouldn't bid on both Lombard and Kako at pick 7.

That being said, Essendon don't need to do anything until draft night. Line up trades, and if the bid comes, then execute. Apparently not with us though ...

Essendon BF are convinced Kako does not get bid on... willing to field offers at the bid. Their list manager disagrees ;)

They're still in stage 1 - denial.

Fact is that as a footy club we need to be ruthless and make other clubs pay fair value for their academy picks, just as I expect they would do to us. No reason we shouldn't bid on both Lombard and Kako at pick 7.

That being said, Essendon don't need to do anything until draft night. Line up trades, and if the bid comes, then execute. Apparently not with us though ...
In the history of the bidding system…

How many clubs have had an early - Mid first round FS or academy kid and taken a first round pick before a bid has been placed?

Excluding clubs trading infront of the bid ala Dogs and Sanders last year.

In the history of the bidding system…

How many clubs have had a first round FS or academy kid and taken a first round pick before a bid has been placed?
Sydney got McDonald at 4 and matched a bid on Campbell at 5
Fremantle got Young & Serong just before the Henry bid
GWS got Ash at 4 before the Green bid at 10, Taranto at 2 before Setterfield at 5
GC got Ainsworth (4) Scrimshaw (7) and Brodie (9) before matching Bowes at 10
Hawks & Dogs knew 5 and 6 were safe enough for Watson/McCabe and Sanders/Croft last year
handful of others

it happens

He doesn’t understand starting positions, he has poor hands in general play/stoppages, he has a poor tank, doesn’t man up, doesn’t run 2 ways and has a sub standard ball drop that would see him get holding the ball a lot…for a start. These star mids have been training/coached how to play in The midfield for 10 years of juniors. It’s not something that you can just start because you have size.

Good description, I don’t know how accurate, but good description. Can you or anyone think of a more well known player, past or present, that Owens might be in the mold of, if it all works out? Either a St Kilda player or one at another club?

He can ask for pick 27 but I think we are prepared to walk away if Power is unwilling to operate in a realistic manner.
Agreed.

I get the feel Bailey Smith situation will influence what happens with Macrae.

If Smith walks for nothing then the asking price for Macrae will remain unreasonable despite the circumstances, i.e 27. Will just be strange optics for Sam Power if they chest thump on Macraes value but turn and accept lower whilst getting no return on Bailey. Jacks value to the Dogs probably increases in this circumstance too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should absolutely not be paying more than pick 40 odd for a bloke who turns 31 next year, regardless of salary structure.
We still need to find a way to get Soldo and Macrae done. If we can get them both for the 40 pick and maybe an F3 that would be good. If we're intending on taking Cole, Hoffman and Peckett then we probably don't need heaps of picks.

I think Macrae makes a big difference for us and really hope we can get the deal done.

He is a very good contested ball winner though and can break a tackle.

I don't disagree with everything you've said, I think he's a forward, but I also he can play a pinch hitting role in the midfield.

Good description, I don’t know how accurate, but good description. Can you or anyone think of a more well known player, past or present, that Owens might be in the mold of, if it all works out? Either a St Kilda player or one at another club?
Agree,especially the lost component playing midfield,also throw in a bout of hardness and a see ball get ball mentality.
In reference to a similar player,maybe Mark Choco Williams.
They both have a mechanical way of moving,but still get the job done.

We should absolutely not be paying more than pick 40 odd for a bloke who turns 31 next year, regardless of salary structure.
Yep, same for Soldo and p27 talk , trading a valuable pick for blokes around 30yo is like a contender top-up trade to increase the premiership window longevity, we are no where near that without knowing truly if our young guys have what it takes to get us into top 4.

Draft a winning core group first and players will come later

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back