2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even going to be close by the sounds of it on my end!
As I said previously I reckon everyone concerned should just find something else to occupy themselves with for the time being and look forward to thinking about the fixture and what it looks like when it gets released.

Its not like you're currently awaiting the birth of your first child.

As I said previously I reckon everyone concerned should just find something else to occupy themselves with for the time being and look forward to thinking about the fixture and what it looks like when it gets released.

Its not like you're currently awaiting the birth of your first child.
Couldn't agree more! The AFL do not care, you shouldn't either.

Talked about it while at the club these past few training sessions. As far as Frankston's concerned, the club pretty much knows the fixture but dates and times for later rounds are still to be confirmed. I do know our practice matches will be against Port Melbourne (late February), Bullants (pre-season carnival) and Williamstown (couple weeks before the season starts.) All three will be at Frankston.

Couldn't agree more! The AFL do not care, you shouldn't either.
Yes...the AFL do not care about the VFL competiton

They don't care about the fixturing, so they leave it to the AFL clubs to work it out.

They don't care about the fact its still called the VFL when theres sides from outside Victoria who play in it with more to come.

They don't care about the stand alones, especially the two that are battling to be competitive

Just kill the thing and the sooner it becomes AFL Reserves the better.

Pre Season Carnival at Frankston on Saturday March 2
Williamstown vs Port Melbourne 10:45am
Frankston vs Northern Bullants 1:15pm
Coburg vs Werribee 3:45pm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm honestly happy whether it's part of the main thread or a dedicated VFLW thread. Since Frankston aren't in the VFLW yet I doubt I'll be following it closely.

An AFL game at the MCG could see a curtain-raiser at either Richmond or Collingwood's training ground.
Similarly, a Docklands game could be played at Arden Street, especially when the new railway station has been completed.
Yeah I like this. I could see on the odd occasion a curtain raiser on the same ground but you want the least foot traffic as possible. So maybe first half of the year. Then they'll want to assess the grounds conditions and prepare for AFL finals. So using grounds that are close by the G or Etihad will make sense. There's also the AFL W to think of you would assume the AFL would like them to have curtain raises over VFL?

I agree things seem quite bleak for Coburg. The Bullants have at least some cause for hope with a new coach, and hopefully he can restore some confidence in the team. But Coburg remind me far too much of what Frankston was like in 2015: winless, financially uncertain, and booted the next year. We can only hope history doesn't repeat.

I agree things seem quite bleak for Coburg. The Bullants have at least some cause for hope with a new coach, and hopefully he can restore some confidence in the team. But Coburg remind me far too much of what Frankston was like in 2015: winless, financially uncertain, and booted the next year. We can only hope history doesn't repeat.
The bullants have recruited awfully so far though. It's not looking good for Frankston/Coburg/Northern Bullants but lucky for them they play each other twice so might pickup a few extra wins they wouldn't have got otherwise.

For a club that finished last with no wins it doesn't seem like Coburg have done much this off-season to fix that. Are they even trying anymore? They are going to struggle again this season.
Some good players recruited to address some areas lacked in last season however the losses of the top three in the 2023 best and fairest cancel all that out.

Worth mentioning too in 2015 Frankston also was coming off a redevelopment to their home ground. Not long after that they were out...for a year.

North Ballarats stadium got redeveloped too and not long after that it was the end of them in the VFL.

Coburg City Ovals much awaited redevelopment was a while ago but feels like it wasn't that long ago either. Is a similair fate awaiting them like Frankston in 2016?

Then again this all may not matter with it been likely the new Tassie team coming in along with Port Adelaide and West Coasts reserves joining the VFL in 2025, it could be the end of the comp as we know it. Surely the competition can't have too many more teams, and surely it still can't be called the VFL.

Hopefully Coburg won't be winless thanks to the new draw.

My expectations for Frankston this year are fairly modest. I do expect us to remain competitive and improve enough to climb out of the bottom four. I think our list is decent on paper but will take time to gel properly. So I'll wait until the season is done to make a call on what our prospects are.

In my opinion what happens post-season is even more important than what happens on the field. Yes, we need to at least remain competitive this year, but all that will mean very little if we lose the core of our team again. I personally think we have a decent team on paper, but a competitive season will count for very little if our best players leave after it's done. Our player retention has improved this year, but it needs to be the start of a trend. It's not just about being able to sustain on-field performances, it's also about having a team with a recognisable identity that supporters can get behind. Losing our most well-known players every year makes that impossible.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back