2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth mentioning too in 2015 Frankston also was coming off a redevelopment to their home ground. Not long after that they were out...for a year.

North Ballarats stadium got redeveloped too and not long after that it was the end of them in the VFL.

Coburg City Ovals much awaited redevelopment was a while ago but feels like it wasn't that long ago either. Is a similair fate awaiting them like Frankston in 2016?

Then again this all may not matter with it been likely the new Tassie team coming in along with Port Adelaide and West Coasts reserves joining the VFL in 2025, it could be the end of the comp as we know it. Surely the competition can't have too many more teams, and surely it still can't be called the VFL.
It's hard to know for certain. Somehow the nine VFA clubs that remained when the AFL took over are still here (albiet some have been all but consumed by their AFL alignments.) Some have come awfully close to ruin but have hung in there. Unfortunately, you can only just barely hang on before your luck runs out. With the AFL being indifferent to the survival of standalone clubs, it's hard not to feel as though the death of all our clubs is inevitable. I try not to feed that mindset, because I'd rather give my club every chance it has of survival.

There's just so much that works against us. The fact that most footy fans regard the VFL as a development comp only, and that most media coverage around it only talks about draft potential. There's also the simple reality of any sport that people will always prefer the top league over any other. Then consider that most people who want a suburban footy fix will have a local league they can pay attention to.

We're sandwiched in a very awkward position between the AFL and local football.

It's hard to know for certain. Somehow the nine VFA clubs that remained when the AFL took over are still here (albiet some have been all but consumed by their AFL alignments.) Some have come awfully close to ruin but have hung in there. Unfortunately, you can only just barely hang on before your luck runs out. With the AFL being indifferent to the survival of standalone clubs, it's hard not to feel as though the death of all our clubs is inevitable. I try not to feed that mindset, because I'd rather give my club every chance it has of survival.

There's just so much that works against us. The fact that most footy fans regard the VFL as a development comp only, and that most media coverage around it only talks about draft potential. There's also the simple reality of any sport that people will always prefer the top league over any other. Then consider that most people who want a suburban footy fix will have a local league they can pay attention to.

We're sandwiched in a very awkward position between the AFL and local football.
Great post

Some good players recruited to address some areas lacked in last season however the losses of the top three in the 2023 best and fairest cancel all that out.
Yeah, the losses by a very very big margin out weigh the in's. Same story at Frankston.

Yeah, the losses by a very very big margin out weigh the in's. Same story at Frankston.
Frankston I can't see improving. Gown and Grey their best recruits but losing Fordham, Stoddart and Owens and failing to get McLaughlan back where no doubt he'd be a better player this time around, and the fact they have a new coach, they'll be battling again.

I can't see Coburg winning a game again in 2024. While they did show signs of improvement in the second half of the year and if that wasn't enough to convince better players to come and their better players from 2023 to stay then it makes you wonder what they actually stand for? If another winless season happens then surely they won't be going around again.

I still stand by my predictions that the competition will be looking very different in 2025.

For a club that finished last with no wins it doesn't seem like Coburg have done much this off-season to fix that. Are they even trying anymore? They are going to struggle again this season.
Coach is on the nose, a number of departed players who are now bobbing up at other VFL clubs, their recruiting has been all it can be. Can’t see much, however playing other stand-alone twice, maybe they can snag a win this season.

Coach is on the nose, a number of departed players who are now bobbing up at other VFL clubs, their recruiting has been all it can be. Can’t see much, however playing other stand-alone twice, maybe they can snag a win this season.
yeah, playing the worst teams in the competition twice will be helpful. Bell Street twice will be the one to watch for the Burgers, but Frankston could be very poor as well.

yeah, playing the worst teams in the competition twice will be helpful. Bell Street twice will be the one to watch for the Burgers, but Frankston could be very poor as well.
Kinda sums up the what the VFL stands for right now. Make it easier for rubbish teams to win…………at least the battle of bell is usually close. Burgers were unlucky last year got stiffed with a contentious 50 that turned the game back thecAnts way.

Frankston I can't see improving. Gown and Grey their best recruits but losing Fordham, Stoddart and Owens and failing to get McLaughlan back where no doubt he'd be a better player this time around, and the fact they have a new coach, they'll be battling again.

I can't see Coburg winning a game again in 2024. While they did show signs of improvement in the second half of the year and if that wasn't enough to convince better players to come and their better players from 2023 to stay then it makes you wonder what they actually stand for? If another winless season happens then surely they won't be going around again.

I still stand by my predictions that the competition will be looking very different in 2025.
Yep, Gown and Grey aren't anything to write home about and they've lost their best. Lambert and Rendell are another two fairly large outs and even losing Szybkowski, Small, and Roseby sucks too. They have some work to do if they want to be in that very different competition in 2025.

Agreed on Coburg as well. Similar story, got okay VFL players such as Bowes, Bromell, Trudgeon but again nothing to write home about. Losing McGlashan, Nelson, Jepson, Clarke, Boucher are some stingers.

Yep, Gown and Grey aren't anything to write home about and they've lost their best. Lambert and Rendell are another two fairly large outs and even losing Szybkowski, Small, and Roseby sucks too. They have some work to do if they want to be in that very different competition in 2025. Agreed on coburg as well.
Forgot about Lambert, didn't know about Rendell either. Szybkowski I forgot too, never a good sign when your best young player departs for an AFL aligned club after just one season.

Forgot about Lambert, didn't know about Rendell either. Szybkowski I forgot too, never a good sign when your best young player departs for an AFL aligned club after just one season.
but hey, at least they've got a full time coach! .... for whatever reason in a part time program. At least the unemployed blokes might get better this year.

Agreed on Coburg as well. Similar story, got okay VFL players such as Bowes, Bromell, Trudgeon but again nothing to write home about. Losing McGlashan, Nelson, Jepson, Clarke, Boucher are some stingers.
Of those 5 losses, as previously mentioned 3 were the top 3 b&f, one was a vice captain with 50+ games experience. Jepson by far was Coburgs best ball user since debuting in 2021 while Clarkes 32 goals from 18 games in a winless side is as good as 60+ goals in a winning side.

Trudgeon and Bowes both at their 3rd team in as many seasons and were regulars with Carlton and Brisbane respectivley in 2022, and their respective moves to Box Hill and Port Melbourne failed to work out.

Last edited:
Of those 5 losses, as previously mentioned 3 were the top 3 b&f, one was a vice captain with 50+ games experience.

Trudgeon and Bowes both at their 3rd team in as many seasons and were regulars with Carlton and Brisbane respectivley in 2022, and their respective moves to Box Hill and Port Melbourne failed to work out.
I quite liked Bowes at Brisbane. Solid player just very inconsistent. Trudgeon solid at Carlton too, I think he won best VFL listed player or best young player or something in '22. Box Hill just had too much talent on their VFL list and a fairly healthy AFL list for him to get consistent games. A good move for him to head to a stand alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I quite liked Bowes at Brisbane. Solid player just very inconsistent. Trudgeon solid at Carlton too, I think he won best VFL listed player or best young player or something in '22. Box Hill just had too much talent on their VFL list and a fairly healthy AFL list for him to get consistent games. A good move for him to head to a stand alone.
Trudgeon also was sidelined by injury for much of the season too, I forgot that.

Practice game
Friday February 23
Williamstown vs Werribee at Deakin Geelong Stadium, Waurn Ponds 7pm
On the topic of practice matches, looks like Port Melbourne and Williamstown will be travelling to Kinetic Stadium Frankston 2 weeks in a row, either side of the stand alone carnival.

On the topic of practice matches, looks like Port Melbourne and Williamstown will be travelling to Kinetic Stadium Frankston 2 weeks in a row, either side of the stand alone carnival.
Williamstown have three visits to Frankston in a fairly short time. First for the carnival, then a practice match against us, then a couple of weeks later for Round 1.

The person who put it out probrably was too lazy and just went off the fact the google search listed it as a stadium, when stadium refers to the indoor stadium there where Australian Rules Football is most definitley not played there.
What I want to know is why it's being played at such a substandard venue. I understand cricket is probably still going and affects ground availability for some clubs, but surely that place wasn't the best they could find?

What I want to know is why it's being played at such a substandard venue. I understand cricket is probably still going and affects ground availability for some clubs, but surely that place wasn't the best they could find?
Bayside Oval at Williamstown, built jointly by the AFL, local council, and Willi FC to AFL standards, could be a better venue.

You can add Ryan Exon to those 5.
Didn't have a huge output in 2023 however a player with VFL premiership experience and a former captain with 100 games is a loss...to a degree.

According to Paul Amy via twitter he has retired from VFL football

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back