VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I do concede that Garcia's kicking is not of a very high standard and sometimes it's a bit short and loopy. However, he does generally get it to where it's supposed to go and what 'weakness' there is is compensated by his determination, relentless tackling pressure and by providing a reliable link in chains of disposals. I don't think we can ask much more of him than what we see now. We either give him opportunities or let him walk.

Last edited:

Sticking 15 tackles is massive.

McNeill, Gallagher or Sanders should be making way

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
AFL website says 17 tackles. Along with 12K 22HB and 18 CPs.

Bevo might have done him a favour by not giving him any game time on Saturday.

Certainly earned a recall ... but who knows if he'll get it.

West is going pretty well so maybe Bevo knew what he was doing?
That's one possibility. The other is that Bevo held back his career.

No idea which one is right though!

I do concede that Garcia's kicking is not of a very high standard and sometimes it's a bit short and loopy. However, he does generally get it to where it's supposed to go and what 'weakness' there is is compensated by his determination, relentless tackling pressure and by providing a reliable link in chains of disposals. I don't think we can ask much more of him than what we see now. We either give him opportunities or let him walk.
You're describing a player who is a very good onballer while having physical limitation (height and speed) that limits his ability to play positions that aren't tracking the ball at contests, though.

We have no need for an additional onballer in structurally at AFL level, that's the issue. Garcia can have all the determination in the world, but it neither improves his speed, height, skills or natural small forward instincts, which is a shame, because he's probably one of the better league footballers running around in the reserves right now, he's just not versatile enough.

You're describing a player who is a very good onballer while having physical limitation (height and speed) that limits his ability to play positions that aren't tracking the ball at contests, though.

We have no need for an additional onballer in structurally at AFL level, that's the issue. Garcia can have all the determination in the world, but it neither improves his speed, height, skills or natural small forward instincts, which is a shame, because he's probably one of the better league footballers running around in the reserves right now, he's just not versatile enough.
Garcia's speed certainly isn't an issue, I'd consider him to be one of the quickest in the side.

Your argument might stack up if someone like Gallagher wasn't selected each week. Harvey must be some remarkably incredible footballer when he doesn't have the ball because I have no idea what else he brings.

I think Gags is a great player he just needs time. He had a poor game this week but apparently he didn’t train.

Garcia is one of the quickest on our list too.

I think Gags is a great player he just needs time. He had a poor game this week but apparently he didn’t train.

Garcia is one of the quickest on our list too.
I have defended Gags selection a number of times in other threads. Think he could be a player for the future but needs a 3 or so week stint in the VFL to dominate.

Garcia's issue has been his disposal at AFL. Was mentioned by Bev bit seems to have been missed in the why he was dropped narrative.

Second half was great in the VFL so have no issues with he a Gags swapping the 23rd emergency role

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Garcia has shown strong and continual improvement this year and now seems to be over the injuries that dogged his first couple of seasons. I don't believe that he lacks height or speed for a midfield role in the senior side. The bottom line should be, can he get the ball and then distribute it effectively by hand and foot. He doesn't appear to have trouble doing this from my observation at VFL level. He is challenged by the fact that we have 4 very good midfielders already in the side but that 4, as we have seen on several occasions this year, have been far from invincible. I believe that Garcia has deserved an opportunity to show that he's a point of difference in that midfield. He has great fitness and can work both inside and outside the contest.
As for lacking versatility, I agree he probably doesn't have a role as a small forward and hasn't been used on a wing to any great extent either. However, even our great Libba doesn't look comfortable in any secondary role either.
Garcia was a bit unfortunate not to be subbed in last round where he could have shown some ability but his game in the VFL the following day would indicate he needs some reward for the consistent, high level form he shows at that level.
If the rumours on here are correct that he will re-sign I think that would be an excellent outcome. Libba and Treloar are not getting any younger and to have someone of Garcia's ability ready to step in and make an impact is good management. In the meantime, let's see what he can do at least as an interchange for a few games this season.
PS. I thought Anthony Scott played the best game I have seen from him last weekend. He was tough in the contest, ran all over the ground and provided a link for so many chains of ball movement. He's contracted for next year and therefore will continue to be a handy back up if needed.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footscray has made two changes to take on Geelong at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Harvey Gallagher returns to the line-up and Angus Bade has been recalled, with Anthony Scott and Will Lewis to miss.

AFL emergencies Riley Garcia, Alex Keath and Arthur Jones have also been included in the side.
Footscray will look to register back-to-back wins when it meets Geelong at 3.40pm at GMHBA Stadium tomorrow.

The match will be live-streamed via afl.com.au/vfl, with score updates available via @FootscrayVFL on Twitter.

The AFL sides will go head-to-head from 7.30pm at the same venue.

VFL Team | Round 17

Geelong v Footscray
Saturday 20 July, 3.40pm AEST
GMHBA Stadium

B: A. Jones (32), A. Bade (68), C. Clarke (8)
HB:
C. Daniel (35), O. Baker (13), H. Gallagher (12)
C:
J. Gilbee (69), C. Owen (62), D. Bedendo (26)
HF: L. Smith (40), J. Busslinger (5). C. Craig-Peters (61)
F:
B. Young (67), L. Cleary (36), R. Garcia (38)
R: A. Keath (42), T. Bianco (58), E. Hunt (56)
INT: D. Orgill (50), C. Smith (55), B. Crofts (54), J, Kellett (57), L. McArthur (71)
EMG: T. Maple (65), K. Stretton (66), C. Kizan (70), J. Sparkman (51)

IN: H. Gallagher, A. Bade
OUT: A. Scott, W. Lewis

What is that?
sexy chris farley GIF by Saturday Night Live

Footscray has made two changes to take on Geelong at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Harvey Gallagher returns to the line-up and Angus Bade has been recalled, with Anthony Scott and Will Lewis to miss.

AFL emergencies Riley Garcia, Alex Keath and Arthur Jones have also been included in the side.
Footscray will look to register back-to-back wins when it meets Geelong at 3.40pm at GMHBA Stadium tomorrow.

The match will be live-streamed via afl.com.au/vfl, with score updates available via @FootscrayVFL on Twitter.

The AFL sides will go head-to-head from 7.30pm at the same venue.

VFL Team | Round 17

Geelong v Footscray
Saturday 20 July, 3.40pm AEST
GMHBA Stadium

B: A. Jones (32), A. Bade (68), C. Clarke (8)
HB: C. Daniel (35), O. Baker (13), H. Gallagher (12)
C: J. Gilbee (69), C. Owen (62), D. Bedendo (26)
HF: L. Smith (40), J. Busslinger (5). C. Craig-Peters (61)
F: B. Young (67), L. Cleary (36), R. Garcia (38)
R: A. Keath (42), T. Bianco (58), E. Hunt (56)
INT: D. Orgill (50), C. Smith (55), B. Crofts (54), J, Kellett (57), L. McArthur (71)
EMG: T. Maple (65), K. Stretton (66), C. Kizan (70), J. Sparkman (51)

IN: H. Gallagher, A. Bade
OUT: A. Scott, W. Lewis
No real value naming everyone out of position is there? If it was for laughs they should name Caleb first ruck every week

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back