VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Having watched the replay it was as plain as day that it was Darcy Fort's complete dominance in the ruck that generated so much play for Brisbane. Without him, the Lions would never had so much break away ball from stoppages. Unless Lachie Smith learns to jump he will continue to have difficulty with taller, more experienced opponents. He's got time on his side.

That’s what I’m trying to tease out. What was going on back there?

I thought our tall backs were quite dominant in the air for the first 3 qtrs, Brisbane started to halve or win the ball in the last qtr though. We generally played a spare down back which helped in this regard. Khamis and Coffield looked like the spares mainly and dominated the air. Buss also took a number of intercepts in the 1st half and was dominant too, but slowed down in the 2nd half. Pretty sure Buss had 17 touches in the 1st half and ended with 21 in the end.

The main issues for me was Fort dominating the ruck contests, some of Fort's 10-15m taps to clear the area were devastating. It meant Brisbane were able to stream forward too easily. Our small defenders were pretty bad at times as well IMO. Craven, the small forward that nearly won the game for them twice, ran around virtually unopposed for the last 10 minutes. Not sure who was on him, may have even been one of our VFL guys in Gilbee or Moloney. Either way it looks like a clear area of need for us.

Obviously I’d love Buss to be playing but in theory if Jones, Lobb & JOD enter round 1 next season playing as they are right now, how does he get a game?

It’s almost like he has to wait until Jones finishes.

Having watched the replay it was as plain as day that it was Darcy Fort's complete dominance in the ruck that generated so much play for Brisbane. Without him, the Lions would never had so much break away ball from stoppages. Unless Lachie Smith learns to jump he will continue to have difficulty with taller, more experienced opponents. He's got time on his side.
Hey DognBones where’s the replay available?

Obviously I’d love Buss to be playing but in theory if Jones, Lobb & JOD enter round 1 next season playing as they are right now, how does he get a game?

Given Lobb’s versatility Buss is probably first can off the rank if there are any injuries to those 3 + English + the 3 KPFs.

I know he probably is not in consideration for the first final but I just want to give Caleb Poulter a shout out for his development this season.

I can’t think of to many players who have completely changed my mind about them in such a short period of time. He is absolutely an AFL quality winger/mid. Not as lightly framed as I thought, a lot more contested and his height, speed and boot are all weapons.

Busslinger is far too good to be playing VFL for much longer.
Can see a round 1 debut next year another preseason to put on bit more
Didn’t see the game but for those who did … if Busslinger was so good how come the defence leaked goals so often? Was he the only competent defender? Or do we have rose coloured glasses when we watch our 2022 first rounder play?
Buss took a lot of intercept marks early but as the match went on Lions got smarter about how they went I50 bypassed Buss a lot and lowered the eyes and hit up targets I50 instead of bombing long to a contest.
He will be a solid KPD maybe as early as next year good user of the ball too.

Injuries happen Jones was out for a month with a knee. Cliff can come quickly once your over 30. Great for us to have a player of Busslinger's quality to be able to call upon. Having someone genuinely good depth.
Think Buss will make his debut early next year but time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he probably is not in consideration for the first final but I just want to give Caleb Poulter a shout out for his development this season.

I can’t think of to many players who have completely changed my mind about them in such a short period of time. He is absolutely an AFL quality winger/mid. Not as lightly framed as I thought, a lot more contested and his height, speed and boot are all weapons.

Yeah, Poults looks like he'll make it at this point. Wing is a difficult role to play and his ability to put the ball into dangerous positions is underrated.

Will never be an AFL level ruck.

Has potential as a forward that can ruck a bit though imho.

Will never be an AFL level ruck.

Has potential as a forward that can ruck a bit though imho.

He’s only 18 years old though. The way he plays he’ll be far more effective after a few years of building strength. He’ll be very hard to shift and I think quite effective at the groundball game, like a Kieran Briggs

He’s only 18 years old though. The way he plays he’ll be far more effective after a few years of building strength. He’ll be very hard to shift and I think quite effective at the groundball game, like a Kieran Briggs

He is 18 for f sake he has got plenty of time to develop
Not trying to write him off as an afl footballer but he has been trounced by Fort and Stanley who themselves get beaten constantly at afl level.

He will get stronger yes. Will he get taller or jump higher or grow longer arms??

He may find a role at afl level but not as a number one ruck imho.

He certainly has talent. Just not sure where he fits in.

I think if we make it through the GF we will play the Lions. I would think this would be the first time 5th and 6th have ever played off in a GF. Seems right in a crazy season that it can continue be crazy in September.

Dogs beat hawks Elimination
Cats lose to Port
GWS beat Sydney
Dogs beat Cats Semi final
Dogs beat GWS Prelim

Lions beat Blues
Lions beat Sydney
Lions beat Port

This the dogs travel interstate once and the lions 3 times including the GF.

Not trying to write him off as an afl footballer but he has been trounced by Fort and Stanley who themselves get beaten constantly at afl level.

He will get stronger yes. Will he get taller or jump higher or grow longer arms??

Let’s just agree that he’s not there yet and will be worth watching more closely in 2025 after his first full AFL preseason.

If he stays on an AFL list he’s probably still 8-10 years off his peak. That’s plenty of time to develop some skills and smarts as well as his physique. Maybe even doing so as a ruckman.

He is 203 cm. He’s undersized because he’s 18 not because he’s short. He could still grow a couple more cm before he is done. He needs to work on his ruck craft but which 18 year old ruck wouldnt be expected to keep working on that, including jumping at the ball. His peak is 10 (yes ten) years away and he’s competing very well against vfl and afl level rucks. He will no doubt learn a lot in his first year or two in vfl but if he isn’t a top line ruck in a few years I’ll eat my hat.

Are we seriously slamming an 18 year old first year ruck, the one position where everyone agrees takes time to develop?

Does everyone want to know what Tim English was doing in his turning 19-year-old year? Running around playing as an over-ager for South Fremantle Colts (ie their 3rds).

How about Toby Nankervis, the best modern-day example for someone who he should model his game on? Running around for Tasmania in the Division 2 U18 championships, as an overager already 19.

Smith was the fourth of the four out-and-out rucks drafted in the national draft, but he's arguably already shown more than the three drafted ahead of him. Who if we would have drafted any of the other three instead but we still took Smith and much like a few others in this draft it's already looking like a great pick.

He is 203 cm. He’s undersized because he’s 18 not because he’s short. He could still grow a couple more cm before he is done. He needs to work on his ruck craft but which 18 year old ruck wouldnt be expected to keep working on that, including jumping at the ball. His peak is 10 (yes ten) years away and he’s competing very well against vfl and afl level rucks. He will no doubt learn a lot in his first year or two in vfl but if he isn’t a top line ruck in a few years I’ll eat my hat.

I feel like 203cm was a bit exaggerated. He was 199cm at the draft combine, and sometimes our club measurements stretch things a bit (Daniel listed at 171cm as an example). Compared to other players he seems to be around or below the two metre mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back