List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait, we’re losing knobel now, what have I missed?
Nothing but speculation at this stage. Freo is in deep contract talks with Reidy to extend him which is a little unusual if your favoured ruck is stuck in reserves.

Still keen on Malakai Champion - has just played 3 games at WAFL league level, kicking 7 goals. Any ideas where he might go in the draft? Strikes me as going in the third round at the moment (we don't have any third round picks). Want him on our list.

Great article about him and his journey so far, worth a read:
PS His Grandad is a total legend, and Eddie Betts is his uncle (great role model to have hey)

Still keen on Malakai Champion - has just played 3 games at WAFL league level, kicking 7 goals. Any ideas where he might go in the draft? Strikes me as going in the third round at the moment (we don't have any third round picks). Want him on our list.

PS His Grandad is a total legend, and Eddie Betts is his uncle (great role model to have hey)

He’s a West Coast NGA

We’re not getting him with the rules being changed back

His grandad is a Champion!!

Not with that attitude, if we rate him high enough we can bid on him. Not sure if Eagles would match. Would be great to have another talented indignation player on the list.
Unfortunately they will have the picks to get what they want if Barrass is gone.
Our situation is so dire with our medium/small forwards, Bolton almost becomes
unmissable.
Reality is he can do minutes n the midfield and has the speed to generate X factor.

I've played with a few of the Champion boys up in Kal; a nicer and more talented set of blokes you wouldn't find.

Would love us to get him but probably not going to happen with the rule change.

So we have 4 picks in the top 25 for 2024.
Our first pick should get Bolton, I really hope we keep the other 2 first
rounders.
At worst the first and a second to the Tigers, and we have our Walters replacement.
Add Bolton and some of those close losses become wins and a top 4 place.
We are close, so maybe this strategy fixes today and the future?
Maybe unpopular but I wouldn’t chase Baker, he is a good player but we need X
factor.

May as well post my rankings, been a while...

1. Finn O'Sullivan (182cm mid, Vic Country)
2. Harvey Langford (190cm mid, Vic Country)
3. Josh Smillie (194cm mid, Vic Metro)
4. Sid Draper (182cm mid, South Australia)
5. Murphy Reid (180cm mid, Vic Metro)
6. Levi Ashcroft (179cm mid, Brisbane)
7. Xavier Lindsay (183cm mid, Vic Country)
8. Jagga Smith (181cm mid, Vic Metro)
9. Luke Trainor (194cm def, Vic Metro)
10. Sam Lalor (187cm mid, Vic Country)

11. Leonardo Lombard (178cm mid, Gold Coast)
12. Tobie Travaglia (187cm def, Vic Country)
13. Harry Armstrong (195cm fwd, Vic Metro)
14. Joe Berry (180cm fwd, Vic Country)
15. Bo Allan (191cm def/mid, Western Australia)
16. Taj Hotton (182cm mid/fwd, Vic Metro)
17. Christian Moraes (183cm mid, Vic Metro)
18. Sam Marshall (185cm mid, Brisbane)
19. Cooper Hynes (190cm fwd, Vic Country)
20. Isaac Kako (175cm fwd, Vic Metro)

21. Angus Clarke (188cm def, South Australia)
22. Tom Gross (181cm mid, Vic Metro)
23. Alex Dodson (203cm ruck, South Australia)
24. Harrison Oliver (181cm def, Vic Metro)
25. Jonty Faull (195cm fwd, Vic Country)
26. Noah Mraz (198cm def, Vic Country)
27. Jesse Dattoli (179cm mid/fwd, Vic Metro)
28. Jack Whitlock (200cm fwd, Vic Country)
29. Jobe Shanahan (194cm fwd, Allies)
30. Hamish Davis (190cm fwd, Western Australia)

31. Alix Tauru (193cm def, Vic Country)
32. Matt Whitlock (199cm fwd/def, Vic Country)
33. Ben Camporeale (186cm mid, South Australia)
34. Charlie Nicholls (197cm fwd, South Australia)
35. Ned Bowman (187cm fwd, South Australia)
36. Jaxon Artemis (187cm def/mid, Western Australia)
37. Archer Day-Wicks (186cm, mid/fwd, Vic Country)
38. Harry O'Farrell (196cm def, Vic Metro)
39. Kayle Gerreyn (199cm ruck/fwd, Western Australia)
40. Malakai Champion (172cm fwd, Western Australia)

41. Lucas Camporeale (185cm mid, South Australia)
42. Evan Bradley (174cm fwd, South Australia)
43. Tom Sims (199cm fwd, Vic Country)
44. Adrian Cole (195cm def, Vic Metro)
45. Logan Smith (204cm ruck, Allies)
46. Tyler Welsh (191cm fwd, South Australia)
47. Jasper Alger (182cm mid/fwd, Vic Country)
48. Luke Urquhart (183cm mid, Western Australia)
49. Benny Barrett (174cm fwd, South Australia)
50. Jacob Newton (178cm fwd, South Australia)

The top of the draft really is up in the air. I do still think O'Sullivan is the top prospect, even if he hasn't quite been at his best - and hampered by injury. So really I'd have him at #1 and then #2 to #13 would just be one big group that changes depending on how I feel that day. Then there's a drop to the next group which includes everyone from Berry to probably Faull. And then it really opens up after that.

So we have 4 picks in the top 25 for 2024.
Our first pick should get Bolton, I really hope we keep the other 2 first
rounders.
At worst the first and a second to the Tigers, and we have our Walters replacement.
Add Bolton and some of those close losses become wins and a top 4 place.
We are close, so maybe this strategy fixes today and the future?
Maybe unpopular but I wouldn’t chase Baker, he is a good player but we need X
factor.
Unfortunately, if freo get Bolton it will be with 2 firsts

More the season goes on the more i think freo need Baker too. i was against it to start with but need more experience talent in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More the season goes on the more i think freo need Baker too. i was against it to start with but need more experience talent in
How accurate is Bolton in front of goals ?
How's he going to go when we are having a yip day in front of goals ? Won't he just compound our issues ?

I don’t think Bolton is worth two firsts if one is a top 10 pick, however I also think baker is worth more than 26 (saints current 2nd) so I can see 10, 15 & 26 being traded for Bolton and baker, hopefully with a F2 or a later 2nd coming back our way. Fans will debate if it’s fair until the cows come home, but getting those two and keeping a top 10 pick will be enough for us to make it happen. I am now convinced JLo plays JOM and Banfield every week because he’s scared of playing too many young kids, having two more mid 20yo’s in the starting 22 may lead to better selection integrity for the last 3-4 picked each week.

How accurate is Bolton in front of goals ?
How's he going to go when we are having a yip day in front of goals ? Won't he just compound our issues ?
He's not. He's ordinary. Misses easy shots all the time.

But... he will generate twice as many shots as whomever is playing that role or us now. So it will be more frustrating, but we'll win more.

I don’t think Bolton is worth two firsts if one is a top 10 pick, however I also think baker is worth more than 26 (saints current 2nd) so I can see 10, 15 & 26 being traded for Bolton and baker, hopefully with a F2 or a later 2nd coming back our way. Fans will debate if it’s fair until the cows come home, but getting those two and keeping a top 10 pick will be enough for us to make it happen. I am now convinced JLo plays JOM and Banfield every week because he’s scared of playing too many young kids, having two more mid 20yo’s in the starting 22 may lead to better selection integrity for the last 3-4 picked each week.
No way Richmond will take less then 2 first for him why would they?

You just know the Avfl is going to change the rules before he is available​

Tarin Rock football sensation Lucas Robinson named All-Australian at U16 National Championships and WA MVP​

Harry GrigsonNarrogin Observer
Wed, 21 August 2024 3:00PM
Comments
Harry Grigson
Tarin Rock football sensation Lucas Robinson is emerging as one to keep a close eye on for Fremantle fans after the Dockers’ NGA product was named All-Australian at the AFL National Development Under-16 Championships.
The 188cm inside bull enjoyed a dominant tournament for the Black Swans, collecting WA’s most valuable player award and finishing runner-up in the Kevin Sheehan Medal — for the best and fairest player in pool A — to go alongside his All-Australian selection.

You just know the Avfl is going to change the rules before he is available​

Tarin Rock football sensation Lucas Robinson named All-Australian at U16 National Championships and WA MVP​

Harry GrigsonNarrogin Observer
Wed, 21 August 2024 3:00PM
Comments
Harry Grigson
Tarin Rock football sensation Lucas Robinson is emerging as one to keep a close eye on for Fremantle fans after the Dockers’ NGA product was named All-Australian at the AFL National Development Under-16 Championships.
The 188cm inside bull enjoyed a dominant tournament for the Black Swans, collecting WA’s most valuable player award and finishing runner-up in the Kevin Sheehan Medal — for the best and fairest player in pool A — to go alongside his All-Australian selection.
He's more likely to be the reason another club misses out. The changes only need to last 3 years.

Not sure what you mean. I was suggesting the Afl will probably change some eligibility rule just before he is available for us to take through our NGA
As prone to backflips as they are, its unlikely they are going to backflip back again so soon was my point.

As prone to backflips as they are, its unlikely they are going to backflip back again so soon was my point.
The AFL actually flagged that there will be review of eligibility criteria and zones for NGA. So effectively it'll go from limited access point (40+) but wider criteria regarding eligibility to unlimited access (all picks) but potentially stricter criteria/zones.

I think at least with zones, the AFL has linked it to Tasmania entering the AFL. Maybe that part won't affect us, but who knows. A bit up in the air on that front.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back