List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think there's enough around the mark that we'll get a good player that fits our medium term needs.

This board needs to be open minded what those needs are though. Our biggest needs now won't be our biggest needs in 3-4 years and the club anticipating future needs now is just good list management as much as picking for immediate needs now. Wouldn't be surprised if they're already thinking about inside mids in three years time for example.
I really think Erasmus fills this needs.

I really think Erasmus fills this needs.
If he comes into the team then who's next? I think they'll transition him in as soon as next year - If they don't he's probably requesting a trade too.

If an inside mid is drafted and they have a bit of versatility to play one or two other roles, I almost think that's a very good player to add to the list tbh (Small forward or winger would also be pretty good). A one position inside mid maybe not so much.

If he comes into the team then who's next? I think they'll transition him in as soon as next year - If they don't he's probably requesting a trade too.

If an inside mid is drafted and they have a bit of versatility to play one or two other roles, I almost think that's a very good player to add to the list tbh (Small forward or winger would also be pretty good). A one position inside mid maybe not so much.

We have Robinson in 2026. With Johnson and Erasmus should be all in on small and medium forwards and a good winger

2024 averages

Disposals: 7.23
Marks: 3.15
Goals: 0.31
Tackles: 1.08

Can see why we were interested...

90 Day Fiance Ew GIF by TLC Europe
Got to be honest when I first heard this I was very underwhelmed.

I thought I would go and do a deeper dive on the matter.

He played sub quite a bit in his 13 games. In fact two of the finals games (vs Hawks and Sydney) were games he wasn’t sub. Played ok vs Hawks but was bog average against Sydney. He was sub in that disastrous loss vs Geelong.

What makes it palatable as a rookie selection is his form in the second tier comps.

For Geelong VFL he had good stats a run of 24 plus possessions and some goals. He then played with Essendon VFL and had some very good games that got him selected by Port. His form after moving at short notice mid season across to Port’s SANFL team was very impressive. He then managed 3 late season games with Port AFL. His form in around 5 SANFL games this season has been very good as well. Looking at Port’s SANFL team they have been pretty average. He played midfield from the highlights. Often extracting the ball from centre bounce. A couple of the games there are some highlights and he played very well and kicked goals from around 45-50metres out.

My conclusion is that he stands out as very classy and a level above at VFL/SANFL. Hasn’t managed to step up to AFL level consistently as yet.

Freo chose Wagner as a standout from VFL which is a lesser comp to SANFL.

If he has averaged in SANFL around 21 possessions and a goal then he is a far better option than Emmett.

Whilst I remain underwhelmed I’m convinced there is element of his form at VFL/SANFL warranting a back-up role. Also perhaps Freo have a different position in mind like Wing for example. Also some thinking that they can get the best from him back home in WA playing with his mate Shai. I don’t know but as a SSP rookie selection it is neither here nor there and happy to roll with it.

Emmett was good in that final game of 2023. He showed glimpses in a couple of early games but went missing too often and just never improved his composure. That fluffed bounced streaming forward resulting in a turnover. So many terrible kicks i50 and missed goals. That culminated in very average WAFL finals, where lack of composure stood out.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back