Walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Wagner
Johnson Brayshaw Sharp
Darcy Serong Young
Switta Treacy JOM
Bolton Amiss Jackson

Fyfe, Freddy, Chapman, Sturt
NOD
-Switta, JOM and Johnson all giving mid rotations.
-Backline with great balance for intercept, lockdown and rebound
-Forward line almost our biggest strength with height, speed and goal nous (Is this real life?)

Contentious points we are all likely to debate over preseason:

Fyfe - I want to point out that last year was Fyfes first full season in god knows how long where he basically had to figure out what his body was capable of again. I’m genuinely expecting to see an improvement from him in his influence on games. If he gets through pre season*. 100% will be picked because he is a champion are we aren’t the kind of club to be ruthless (rightly or wrongly).
Walters- Unlike Fyfe he is just without doubt too slow on the burst and too weak in contests to be playing 1s, love him but it’s clear as day Father Time has got him. Leadership could be crucial for Simpson, Delean and hopefully Berry/Hanneford at Peel.
JOM- will start in JLs rd1 lineup. We locked in on playing extra mids throughout the year to give better rotation and he is flexible and clean with the footy to play half fwd and wing.
NOD- great impact as sub but definitely needs more development time on ball and can see him in and out regularly over Johnson who has more runs on the board.
Bolton- not contentious at all I just still can’t believe I am writing his name into our best 23 predictions 🤩 how good!

Fyfe, JOM, Johnson, Chapman, Sturt, NOD and Wagner are really the only players up for debate at match committee over the year. Will be pushed by Erasmus, Worner, Draper, Walters, Simpson and Brodie.

Didn't read the T&Cs :p
Clearly some opinion coming across as fact, a best 22 discussion can be either - what we want, or what we think will be rolled out.

Additionally, it's a little like Emmett last year, but flashes or attributes (or 2 games!) doesn't mean a player will be a good consistent contributor to the team.
I personally think Simpson has shown very little to be included in any best 22 yet.

thats a crazy perdicton as dockers best record is 4 years in a row under Ross Lyon from 2012 to 2015.

If dockers finish 9th or 10th next season, Longmuir is likely to be sacked and we either get a good experienced coach in or a Assistant coach from victoria.

I know what our best record is. We are going to surpass it.

The team Ross inherited was talented but older. This team is talented and younger.

I’m all in on the decade of dominance. Not sure if JL is the man to do it with. Certain that we have the players and pieces required.

JLs 23

Walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Wagner
Johnson Brayshaw Sharp
Darcy Serong Young
Switta Treacy JOM
Bolton Amiss Jackson

Fyfe, Freddy, Chapman, Sturt
NOD
-Switta, JOM and Johnson all giving mid rotations.
-Backline with great balance for intercept, lockdown and rebound
-Forward line almost our biggest strength with height, speed and goal nous (Is this real life?)

Contentious points we are all likely to debate over preseason:

Fyfe - I want to point out that last year was Fyfes first full season in god knows how long where he basically had to figure out what his body was capable of again. I’m genuinely expecting to see an improvement from him in his influence on games. If he gets through pre season*. 100% will be picked because he is a champion are we aren’t the kind of club to be ruthless (rightly or wrongly).
Walters- Unlike Fyfe he is just without doubt too slow on the burst and too weak in contests to be playing 1s, love him but it’s clear as day Father Time has got him. Leadership could be crucial for Simpson, Delean and hopefully Berry/Hanneford at Peel.
JOM- will start in JLs rd1 lineup. We locked in on playing extra mids throughout the year to give better rotation and he is flexible and clean with the footy to play half fwd and wing.
NOD- great impact as sub but definitely needs more development time on ball and can see him in and out regularly over Johnson who has more runs on the board.
Bolton- not contentious at all I just still can’t believe I am writing his name into our best 23 predictions 🤩 how good!

Fyfe, JOM, Johnson, Chapman, Sturt, NOD and Wagner are really the only players up for debate at match committee over the year. Will be pushed by Erasmus, Worner, Draper, Walters, Simpson and Brodie.

I don’t think Chappy will come close to losing his spot in the team. Who is going to replace him? We don’t have a player like him and other than Clark is by far our most skilled backman.

This board does have a hate boner for JOM but the hot new young things bumping him from the team are now somewhat seasoned and hitting their straps. On the wing rotation, I think it's pretty reasonable for JOM to be behind:
  • Sharp: currently our best wingman
  • Johnson: best 22 all year, can play inside or outside
  • NOD: has shown he can produce at the level, certainly B22 form to end the year

After that, he's competing with 1 of [Fyfe/Erasmus] for a spot in the guts (unlikely), or more likely he's duking it out with Banners/Aish/Walters/[whichever of Fyfe/Erasmus isn't in the 22] for the sub role.

I'm sure JOM will still play plenty of games due to injury, form etc. but he's right on the cusp of B23 and could easily fall outside it. It also probably depends where Fyfe and Sonny sit coming into Round 1 - seems likely to me that at least one of Fyfe/Walters/JOM are in the team taking the field.

For me:
B - B.Walker A.Pearce L.Ryan
HB - J.Clark B.Cox H.Chapman
C - J.Sharp A.Brayshaw N.O’Driscoll
HF - S.Bolton J.Treacy S.Switkowski
F - L.Jackson J.Amiss M.Frederick
FOLL - S.Darcy C.Serong H.Young
I/C - C. Wagner, M.Johnson, S.Sturt, N. Fyfe
Sub - JOM (over B. Banfield, N.Erasmus, J.Aish, M. Walters)

Next men in:
KPD - Draper, OMac
Gen. Def - Aish, Worner
Ruck - Reidy
Guts - Erasmus, Brodie
Wingers - JOM, Banfield
KPF - Voss
Gen. Fwd - Banfield, Walters, Simpson

With Erasmus hopefully cementing his spot once he gets a chance.
The question of whether O'Meara is selected or not has little to do with the things you raise in your post.

It has everything to do with the conservative, risk averse nature of Longmuir.

I like to split mine over both Fremantle and Peel, to highlight any potential holes in depth.

Fremantle
FB: Ryan Pearce Walker
HB: Clark Cox Chapman
C: Sharp Fyfe* O'Meara*
HF: Bolton Treacy Switkowski
FF: Sturt Amiss Frederick

Fol: Darcy Serong Brayshaw
Int: Wagner Jackson Walters* Young

Peel
FB: Draper Murphy Worner
HB: Aish McDonald [medium defender]
C: [wing] Erasmus* O'Driscoll*
HF: Emmett Voss Simpson
FF: Banfield [kpf] Delean

Fol: Reidy Brodie Johnson
Int: Davies Knobel Jones

* Players that will likely start in the team, but ideally need to be pushed out by the end of the year. We've got Fyfe and O'Meara covered with Erasmus and O'Driscoll if they come on, we still need a Walters replacement in the draft.

I know Walls said we were pretty stacked for defenders, but I feel like we could do with a medium to replace Hughes. A decent value KPF would be nice to replace Tabs, too.

Two of Berry/Hannaford and Shanahan/Faull, with a late wing option could set us up nicely.

The question of whether O'Meara is selected or not has little to do with the things you raise in your post.

It has everything to do with the conservative, risk averse nature of Longmuir.

I think it is more about what he values, which quite rightly isn’t what most fans value.

He wants leadership, experience and players who stick to their role. He also likes players who can play multiple positions.

Keep in mind it may also be driven by the line coaches, I’m sure they have a massive say in selection in their area.

Not to say I think we should select Jaeger, but I disagree it is just about being risk averse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2025 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back