Discussion 2025 Fantasy Pre-Season Planning Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Finals are upon us .....many of us are out of the Finals, so time to start planning for 2025

First note to oneself .....beware of Gold Coast Players ....their team scoring has dried up more, as the season has progressed

1722496215113.jpeg

Next year will hopefully be a much better one for forwards. Players like JHF, Rankine and Rayner should come on while players like Moore and Miers continue to build. Rucks might be set and forget once again.

What I learnt is the Opening Round nonsense with the byes didn’t really affect our starting teams that much. So I’ll be less reluctant to pick early bye players next year and just pick who I want. Not having Green and Serong at the start just set you back early

What I learnt is the Opening Round nonsense with the byes didn’t really affect our starting teams that much. So I’ll be less reluctant to pick early bye players next year and just pick who I want. Not having Green and Serong at the start just set you back early
It would be good to see how some of these elements (opening round, three rucks) affected teams. Personally, I haven't minded it. It's another element of strategy to navigate.

As a footy fan though, I'd rather see all teams involved in the opening round and just have two blocks of three weeks of byes than whatever we had this year.

This was my first year of doing Fantasy in earnest, it freaking succed but a few takeaways:

- Don't start with many if any $1m+ players, didn't realise the values change so much even if they're serviceable e.g. English, Green, Bont

- Don't buy players at their highest price - Luke Ryan about 4 weeks ago RIP.

- Keep it simple and don't do fancy sideways trades mid year - swapping out Marshall for Sweet was so grim (thankfully somewhat salvaged now)

Last edited:
Yep me too, in the top 1k and didn't start whitfield or Heeney lmao.

Any love for Reid next year? Hopefully benefits from improved fitness and doesn't give away so many free kicks.
He'll be a bit like JHF I reckon. Ginbey off half back interests me though.

Phillipou & Caleb Daniel (if at new club) decent under priced FWD's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep agreed with everyone else on Baz and Pou. Levi Ashcroft will make up the 3rd 100% owned fwd and then probably a Caleb Daniel type

100% owned players off the top of my head next year (not rooks):
Baz, Pou, Roberts, Clarry, Day, Kiddy, TDK (if Pitto leaves or is forced out the team)

Yep agreed with everyone else on Baz and Pou. Levi Ashcroft will make up the 3rd 100% owned fwd and then probably a Caleb Daniel type

100% owned players off the top of my head next year (not rooks):
Baz, Pou, Roberts, Clarry, Day, Kiddy, TDK (if Pitto leaves or is forced out the team)
Green and Rozee will likely be underpricing as well. Pretty easy M1/M2 options I would think.

Green and Rozee will likely be underpricing as well. Pretty easy M1/M2 options I would think.
Green, Rozee, Day, Clarry is a lay up M1-M4 set up. I had Rozee and Green in the 90% owned category haha (think Rozee is actually the better option with his fantasy game). Chuck in a Doch/Cerra at M5, 3 rooks (whoever Rich and WC take + one other) and honestly that is basically the preseason research done hahaha

Don't think there'll be any need to spend up on mids over 100 avg next year, and I don't think any of them justified themselves to be picked either

Probably another year where you need all the rookies.
Some talent.
Everyone will have Ashcroft, Draper & Jagga Smith.

I like Dawson at 105.3 and Brayshaw at 104.6 - both should be locked in top 8 mids after 'down' years this year.

May be controversial but I'm not sure Green has much room to grow - he's a handball-happy first-possession type who doesn't rack up the marks like those two above or Butters, despite leading the league in possessions the last two seasons.

Very skeptical on Clarry too - think Melbourne will be bottom few and he'll get tagged most weeks, that's assuming he regains fitness in the first place.

Like Roberts and McKercher (if the backline role sticks) in defence, maybe Mills if he can avoid injuring himself on Mad Monday again.

It seems the day of the uber premium midfielder may be dead, very rarely did I go there this season with a midfield Captain other than the odd Merrett or Gulden. I suspect, Merrett, Gulden, Daicos could be the big 3 next year in the mids to stay up there. Walsh seems to perennially have poor ends to the season, Brayshaw and Serong can't be trusted to have a wall to wall good season as they compete with one another too much. Noah Anderson remains really up and down. GWS boys always injured. Bontempelli getting old and how much longer can he drag himself up for a Brownlow attempt if he doesn't win this year. Dunkley prove this year you didn't neeed him. Treloar injured all the time. Port Adelaide boys are interest, Rozee priced at 97 could be your M1 if you wanted to spend up and get value.

Depending on forward mix of eligibility, it could be the year to load up on underpriced midfielders, the names have been thrown around here but:

Mills - 12% discount to his average of 84 from last season
Ashcroft - 3% discount to his average of 84.
Day - priced at 74.
Docherty - 30% discount to his average of 104 from last season
Oliver - priced at 77

All look good value in the midfields.

Could be a year to load up value in the midfield, stack your forward line with value guys like Bazlenka and Pou and grab the cream of the crop if premium forwards are again limited, set and forget rucks with Xerri / Marshall / Gawn and spend up in the backline on perennial premiums like Whitfield,

Not sure it works any year to be fair. Its just too high a price tag they fall so quickly even if they post 100.
Yeah I learnt that as I did it myself

But next year you can stack your side to start with fallen/underpriced premos too as there’s gonna be quite a few options. Could be the year of the mid pricers

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2025 Fantasy Pre-Season Planning Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back